Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Giles MX2

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Norman Soto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giles MX2

Hey there...! Some 3 weeks ago I saw the real MX2 perform at the Acapulco Airshow flown by Mr. Gary Ward and I fell in love with the plane's capability. I've been looking forward for the 1st MX2 model to lay my hands upon. I noticed North East Aerodynamics released a brand new MX2 as an ARF for 50cc and in some days from now they'll be selling the kit as well. The NEA website's video doesn't show the plane's real potential and I MUST HAVE an MX2 pattern/3D capable on that engine size under 14lb. Ayone flying one?
Greetings
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
NortheastAero
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Giles MX2

Check out the updated video on the Northeast Aerodynamics Giles MX2 at http://www.ne-aero.com/giles_mx2_arf.html
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

This is a very old thread, but I just noticed that Northeast Aerodynamics is closing thier business and have this plane on sale for a great price. This would be a great entry into 50cc planes or perhaps a cheap backup.

John @ Northeast Aero, best wishes to you and your family in your future ventures!

http://www.shop.ne-aero.com/product....5&categoryId=4
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

That's a really great price. I've never understood why the Giles never made more of an impact in IMAC. I've never flown one myself but have been looking at one to try. This might be the one.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
cap10b

Flatspin
The Giles did make an impact on IMAC. remember all the Schulman scheme Giles by Fiberclassics, then Comp Arf. Remember
Andy Kane and his 3W Giles, remember all the 3W 40% Giles floating around. What you mean to say is where are all the 3D Giles.

Remember Tom at Wildhard keeps a Giles in stock no matter what size. Remember the 35% Giles that sold out TWO containers full of the yellow and blue plus the Red and White Giles 202. Remember the 50cc Giles thread earlier this summer. I now have the cousin to the Giles the 50cc MX2 from Tom sitting next to my 39.5% Giles.

I think everbody forgets about the Giles because QuiQi Somenzini doest fly one, because Adrew Jerzky, Mark Leesberg, Ivan Kirstenson and all the other guys dont fly one. So I guess the plane is no good, and the reason they dont fly one is because nobody PAYS them to fly it.

Maybe the other answer is I'm old thats why I remember all these things.

jds

Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM
flatspinjim

I've only been around IMAC for about a year and a half so I might have missed a lot of the trends I guess. I know Tom at Wildhare carrys them but I was talking to him the other day and he said he's having a hard time selling his 100cc Giles because everyone thinks the Giles are very snappy. As I've never flown one I wouldn't know. People always say the same thing about Caps and I have flown quite a few of those and never had many problems with them.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
cap10b

Jim,
Yeah he says that to me too. The exact status report on inventory is a mystery and only in his head as the R&D department is seperate from the warehouse where the planes are kept.

But CMP (China Model Products has a 30cc Giles) Ultra RC has a 1.60 size Giles pattern/3D plane they sold as recent as last year.
The old Great Planes 1/4 size Giles that would break behind the rear wing attach was in stock for at least 3 years. Dennis Hunt at Zimpro RC has what he calls a Viper 202 which is a high class version of the CMP Giles made for 2 meter pattern flyers.

I too fly CAP's and everybody I know is scared to death of them. Byron Originals did the most reputation damage to the CAP 21 than any other model that I know of. I have seen many of them crash and tore up over the years. Europeans dont have the same reservations about the Cap as we do.

I've heard all the complaints about the Giles/CAP there could be and I never had problems even flyng a severly over weight Yellow A/C Cap10b (a 1.20 size plane that should weigh 14 lbs ) I took and added gas motor, glass wings and tail, paint, smoke and made it weigh 19lbs. No problems, keep the speed up a little on landing, hold it off the runway till it slows down.

I like the Giles 202 and the Extra 330L, Edge 540T and the MX2 maybe its that long canopy that I like.

JDS

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32341.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1329300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16064.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	1329301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36675.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1329302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31868.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1329303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49027.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1329304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29213.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1329305  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
flatspinjim

I'm flying his 35% 260 and the 35% Edge. Both are awesome planes. I really thought about the Giles but the Extra flys so nice plus I can't justify another big plane.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Taildragger726

Hey guys, remember,,, the Giles and the MX2 are two totally different airplanes.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
cap10b

That's true you are totaly right
The question was: "I've never understood why the Giles never made more of an impact in IMAC."
I think it did albeit a while back non the less the Giles is a good Aerobatic mount and with Wildhare taming the other tendencies it's now a good 3D mount. I only mention the MX2 in the same sentence with the WH Giles because the both 50cc planes share the same fuselage (two different wing tube mounts upper or lower on the MX2) with different wings.
I've flown the bigger MX2 (that never made it to production) with both wings (Giles wings and MX wings) We flew the Giles with MX wings and on the upper and lower tubes to good affect.

I think Tom has perfected the design so no one need fear any "Old Wives Tales" about snapping or poor low speed performance.

jds

The green wings are MX2 wings from the original proto type with a new fuse that Tom had built and the white wings are Giles wings that Tom had built as spares for the proto type 40% Giles that we installed on the MX2 after we have small failure in the MX wings.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86917.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1329491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18030.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1329492