24 lb plane and 3w75?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
chipper11077
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 lb plane and 3w75?

Hey guys and girls,

I'm wondering what you all think or if anybody has first hand experience.

I have a highly modified 33% Lanier Extra that I am working on setting up. Unfortunately right now funds are very tight so I am looking to do things as cheaply as possible. It looks like if I use the 3w75IUS that I have the plane will come in at almost exactly 24 pounds.

Has anybody flown a plane around this weight with this engine? I'm not looking for a 3D monster but I want plenty of power for good IMAC type flying and maybe a hover if possible.

I was originally looking at buying a friends 3w80xi which would probably have been perfect but who knows when I will have the money to do that. I don't want to wait forever but I don't want to finish the plane with the 75 and it be a dog either.

I have read several different posts on here about this and a few guys have said yay and a few ney...

For what it's worth I am pretty much at sea level.

Let me know what you think!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Scott
Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Grelker
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: 24 lb plane and 3w75?

Give me the prop size, pitch and rpm and i'll run a thrust calculation for you. should get you in the ballpark
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: chipper11077

Hey guys and girls,

I'm wondering what you all think or if anybody has first hand experience.

I have a highly modified 33% Lanier Extra that I am working on setting up. Unfortunately right now funds are very tight so I am looking to do things as cheaply as possible. It looks like if I use the 3w75IUS that I have the plane will come in at almost exactly 24 pounds.

Has anybody flown a plane around this weight with this engine? I'm not looking for a 3D monster but I want plenty of power for good IMAC type flying and maybe a hover if possible.

I was originally looking at buying a friends 3w80xi which would probably have been perfect but who knows when I will have the money to do that. I don't want to wait forever but I don't want to finish the plane with the 75 and it be a dog either.

I have read several different posts on here about this and a few guys have said yay and a few ney...

For what it's worth I am pretty much at sea level.

Let me know what you think!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Scott
Hey Scott,

We've met before. I had the username of bubbagates for a long time.

Anyway,

I had a C-Arf 2.3 at 21lbs on a 3W70US turning a PT models 24x10 and it would take that plane vertical like gravity was a passing fancy and if I bolted on a 24x10 MSC prop it even pulled harder but was a bit jumpy for the plane. I could come along level at 1/2 stick and plant it and you could easily see the plane leap forward.

I'm totalling guessing but I think the 75 will pull a 24lb plane around fairly well but for IMAC, much past sportsman would be difficult at best. You'd probably hover at close if not full throttle so you had beeter be on your game and if it's hot out hovering or any reasonble vertical may be out of the question.

Again, I'm guessing based on expereince with a 5cc less engine on a 3lb lighter plane
Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
octanehuffer

You are going to need more power. A DA 85 will work fine. Or at least a ZDZ 80 super.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:18 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Wow, lots of varying opinions here.

Scott, just finish the plane with the 3W 75. It will work very well on that plane, don't spend any money on another engine at the moment. The 3W 75 is a great engine. Smooth and powerful.

Flying time is more important than having the what somebody else determines to be the "right" equipment. You need to realize the engine will likely generate "only" ~45 lbs of thrust instead of the 50+ from the other engines. It will still seem plenty powerful.

If anybody doubts the capabilities of a 3W 75 in a 23# plane, watch this video: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UcROF4...eature=related . Granted it is Bill Hempel flying, but the quantity of power is not a problem.

If you work on the plane a bit perhaps you can cut some weight, maybe go with lighter batteries or carbon wing tube. Either of those changes will save 6 - 8 oz.

I say put the 3W on the plane, put a few dozen gallons of fuel through the engine (in the air of course) and then report back. If you decide to upgrade the motor down the road just plug the holes in the firewall and drill new holes. Chances are you will want to upgrade the airframe anyway.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
mtwister

Geez, maybe this is pathetic, but I remember when 24 pounds was considered good weight for a 50cc and now people are saying it's no good with a 70, you must throw an 80 at it? Huh? I have a 3W-75 in a 23 pound Lanier Edge 33% that has insane vertical. How in the world would it ever need more power?

Ok, now with that said, I say I think you'll be very pleased with the 3W-75 combo and the Extra. Especially if you keep it to a lightly loading prop like a Mezj or Vess.