Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Need some gas advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
jimhan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some gas advice

A ZDZ 40 or even a RCS 140 to 180 would be a great engine to put in that airplane. I know how you feel about a big glow engine i have a moki 2.10 and i only get four flights to a gal. and a flight is only 15 mins long, gas engies are really great.

Good luck and happy flying.
James
Old 10-05-2003, 10:16 AM
rmm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need some gas advice

The Z40 is a really powerful engine. I am running it in a giles 202 72" wingspan. I think it would also be a good engine for the Katana.
Question: The GP Katana is a different airplane than the Creekhobbies. Can anybody tell me if the elevator on the GP has an airfoil?

Thanks & Regards
Rainer
Old 10-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

For that size plane, there are two engines that are light and should work OK.
The first is the new Brison Revolution 52cc and the DA 50.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

RE: GSP Katana 72"...DETAILED ... (in reply to bike466) Contact Moderator | (Post No. 146)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my first two flight in with the RCS 180 and WOW! What was I doing messing with those glow engines all this time. My dry weight came in at 13.5 pounds. I have a 16 oz tank mounted over the CG, I flew 10 min of IMAC type aerobatics landed and looked at the tank and there was still 1/3 left.

POWER, compared to the Saito 180 it is unbelievable the difference. I took off at 1/3 throttle and cruised around doing loops and rolls at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, full throttle vertical is unlimited (though not a rocket at the top). The engine sounds so smooth, I flew today with a Zinger 18X8. Unlike when I had the Saito 180 with a 32 oz tank mounted over the CG there was no change in weight distribution. The plane lands sooo much better now.

The people who say a plane this size can't handle a gas engine should fly my Katana. Another nice benefit when I was done flying I had only a few black specs on the underside from the exhaust which easily wiped off with one paper towel. With the Saito 180 I had glow gew all over the plane inside the cowl outside the cowl wings ect. I had some problems early on with the RCS 180 but in the end RC Showcase did the right thing by the warranty and replaced the engine, props to Mike Dooley.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Swat Cop

I posted the above from another katana thread. Unfortunately five flights after that was posted I clipped a pine tree on final and my Katana is probably totaled.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:59 PM
mc71

Sorry to hear that. If I have learned anything about fixing aircraft you have two options if it is near totalled

1) Fix it now, fix it fast, use lots of epoxy and ply wood and worry about the appearance later.

2) Give it to someone else to fix.

If you dont do either you will just have it sittin in the corner, everynow and then you will pull it out when you have noting better to do. You will look at it for a while, decide that there is too much work in it and put it away for next time.

I have three 40 sized 3D planes, one is always flyable, one is always ready without motor and receiver and the other one is being glued back together.

What were you doing trying to land in a pine tree anyway? (Just kidding)

I hope you find something to do with that lovely engine

Matt
Old 10-05-2003, 05:00 PM
mc71

Has anyone had experience with the "new and improved" ZDZ engines?

Matt
Old 10-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Swat Cop

Yea, there was a cross wind and I decided to try and approach the field at an angle. Guess my depth perception is a little off cause I could have swore I was past the tree. Been flyin by that tree on landings for the last 9 months. Oh well, luckily when I returned home from the field my new Dave Patrick Edge 540 was sitting on the front porch.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:35 PM
mc71

Its wonderful how fate works isn't it.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:18 PM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

go with the ZDZ 40 rv this engine has great power I put one in a Great Planes Patty Wagstaff extra 300S and the performance is incredible, unlimited vertical,hovers at 1/3 throttle and rockets out, this plane weights 14.5# dry.