Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM
czorzella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Can you imagine the work?!?! 50K radios x 1+ hours each!?!? Holy moly!

Andy
Piece of cake!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you imagine the work?!?! 50K radios x 1+ hours each!?!? Holy moly!

Andy
Aw, come on Andy! I've just given you an idea how to make a ton of money on a previously nonexistent market. Just hire a couple techs, teach them how to do it, and watch the money roll in. You could charge quite a bit of money, for that. And generate a lot of good will in the hobby too. Don't look at it like a lot of work, look at it as an opportunity.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm sure the big wigs are doing the math and that will be part of their decision when they make it.

Andy
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking on the Horizon website trying to buy one of the STi interface modules to use with my iPhone 4S and it shows to be discontinued. Is it not available anymore? I currently use a XP8103 with the 2.4 Spektrum module. Is the interface discontinued since the iPhone 5 uses a different connector configuration?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I would call them and ask their tech support people. The website occasionally does not reflect what is still available as they change over to a new model.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Will the STi module work with an iPad Air if using the adapter cable for the interface? Like to know before I spend money for the cable!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
AndyKunz

The STi needs to have an official Apple adapter. Several have tried with non-Apple branded ones and none of them have worked.

Andy
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

The STi needs to have an official Apple adapter. Several have tried with non-Apple branded ones and none of them have worked.

Andy
That helps then, I will keep that in mind.
Thanks
With the STi being on clearance and offered for the low price of 19.99, does this mean that another version is in the works????
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM
AndyKunz

Sorry, I'm not allowed to answer that.

Andy
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
bchapman

Sorry, I'm not allowed to answer that.

Andy
Is the old STi module still available? I don't have an iPhone 5, so I don't care about the new version really. Are there any left for purchase?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
bchapman

Originally Posted by sam@ata
That helps then, I will keep that in mind.
Thanks
With the STi being on clearance and offered for the low price of 19.99, does this mean that another version is in the works????
Yeah, I just found one on Amazon for $19.95. I'm just going to buy it and be done with it. I don't have an iPhone 5 anyway, so it doesn't really matter. The cheap price will allow me to buy some more sensors for my planes! My only worry buying on Amazon is that I remember the fake Spektrum stuff a while back. That's why I went to the Horizon website first.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM
erieqc

If you guy's want one I have a new one in the package pm me an offer shipped.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 05:26 PM
JohnB96041

Guess I am one of the lucky ones in this case. I bought 2 of the STi's. Both have worked great. They were used on iphone 3gs for long time. Now have the iphone 4s and they both work great with this phone. I use them all the time when flying. Have 2 models setup with all the telemetry gadgets that Horizon offeres. A little expensive, but well worth it expecially being able to see the GPS location imported to Google Earth.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM
AndyKunz

John,

If you're using one of the AirWare-based transmitters, they all the ability to write the telemetry directly to the card. Then you can use one of the two PC programs (one runs on PC and Mac) to view and print and do a lot mroe than the STi app can do. The STi has the ability to do it in real time, that's the big difference.

Andy
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Pull Up Now!

Andy-I just tried updated the Airware on my son's DX8, and it won't work. The pilot light just blinks. His is currently on 2.0x (can't remember). Any idea what's wrong?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
AndyKunz

That blink usually means that the serial number you downloaded doesn't match the one in the radio. Check to make sure they match.

After that, I'd try a different card. The serial number is much more likely though.

Andy
Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Pull Up Now!

I didn't realize one has to register the radio for the airware to work. Must be soft-coded to the serial number of your actual radio. I just thought one had to log into the Spektrum Community to get access to the downloads. You do, but it's more than that. Anyway, all is well, worked fine. I also updated the firmware to a NIB DX18QQ I got from a local friend. Awesome radio! It's not vocal enough though.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Pull Up Now!

Hey, Andy, quick question. I have a Blade 450 3D that I converted to flybarless. The receiver is a AR6115e. Can I install a TM1000 and get motor battery info(not receiver) back down to the DX8 transmitter? I can't tell if there's a bind/data port until I take it out. But even so, I'm not interested in the receiver pack voltage. That's just a subset of the main motor battery thru the ESC BEC anyway. So can I just power the module thru a y connector to any servo port and read the main battery voltage? And can I just bind the TM1000 and the receiver using separate batteries? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 PM
AndyKunz

Yes you can, but if you're not plugging into the BIND/DATA port on a receiver you need to remove the yellow lead.

You will need to bind the AR6115 and TM1000 at the same time so that the telemetry module knows your transmitter.

Andy
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Pull Up Now!

Andy K,

Quick question. Is it possible to log telemetry data without buying that separate data logger module?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 AM
AndyKunz

If you have an AirWare-based radio, you can do it directly onto the card. DX6, DX9, DX10t, DX18t, or any of the DX18 family.

Andy
Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Pull Up Now!

I do. I have a DX9, and a DX18 QQ. I haven't been able to find a procedure in any of the documention. Can you summarize the process?
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AndyKunz

Go to the File Settings off the Telemetry menu. Configure as desired. Insert an SD card.

Do what you configured the switch for.

It records all the sstreamed telemetry.

I'm pretty sure both the DX9 ad DX18QQ manuals have it covered.

Andy
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Franco2fly

Andy chided me for not spending time on the forum so here goes.
I gave the SD card route a years worth of testing when I upgraded to the DX9. Last week I returned to using the STi module on my iPhone 4. Here's my rationale.

The SD card approach does NOT work at the flying field for my purposes. Namely, I like to replay the GPS data after flying at a field especially a new one, when I have
made an exceptional landing. Not all approaches have large visual cues . I know my current favorite plane likes an approach speed of 35MPH starting from 100 to 80 feet altitude.
With the iPhone I can immediately do a replay and the display shows a overhead view. Nothing fancy but good enough to see where I was and where speed was bled off.
Using the SD card, I would need to haul another PC to the field (just what I need, more stuff to haul). Additionally, this pc would need to access the interned because the SD card data,
Once converted so that it can be opened in Google Earth won't work without internet. Now I will say that the display offers lots more that the iPhone. You can see signal strength as a part of the track, useful information for sure. However, too many steps involved to get the display.

Next there's the file management issue. Very simple using the STi and iPhone. Lets face it they were developed purposefully. I'm not sure the SD card data approach was really intended for my uses. Now I do concede that I have to truck some more gear, ie. the Dongle, but it fits in a plastic box and resides in my tool box.

The negatives of the STi are that audio output is a real rascal to overcome. I prefer to use the audio from the DX9. Second, forget about putting the iPhone in your shirt pocket. Magnetic personality that I am, I must attract all the RF leaving none for the Dongle hence there were numerous drop outs. My solution was to clip the phone upside down in its protector and then clip the iPhone to one of our fields flight line fences. I can even leave it in the pits and it still works, and since I have gone to using the audio for the Transmitter, I don't need to hear the iPhone audio.

I'm anxious to see what STi comes up with next. I am eligible to upgrade to an iPhone 5, but I understand that the old 30pin dongle will work with an iPhone adapter, so I'm not worried.

Just one man's honest opinion.... buy up a couple extra STi's while there cheap.

KKKKFL
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Pull Up Now!

Franco, if you're eligible to upgrade to an iPhone 5, please wait about 3 wks. The new, bigger screen iPhone 6 (two versions of them) will be out. I'm sure the adapter will still work. And the phone will be so much more enjoyable.

Andy K, I sold off my DX18QQ and bought a DX18 gen2 with voice alerts. Very happy with it. I've been finally doing some flying and landing using airspeed with my F86 Turbine jet. It is very critical to know the approach speed to land this baby, so the telemetry is really helpful. At our field, one must approach over some close-in power lines. You'll see them on this video I'm linking. After crossing the lines, the airspeed must be below 50mph to have sufficient sink rate to make the field. The approach situation can change a lot between the minimum 5 second interval telemetry updates that the firmware allows. So I have a suggestion to improve things.

First, it takes a relatively long time to say "53 miles per hour". Give the pilot the option to not say the "miles per hour" part, and just read out the numbers at say, two second intervals. That would be much more useful. And then allow 2 second intervals to get updates in time to matter.

Now, I'm pretty sure you don't want a bunch of different sensors spitting out their numbers without spoken units because that would confuse the pilot. So just allow one sensor-at-a-time to be unitless in the spoken readout. Please take this suggestion to heart because I think it would help a lot. Landings happen faster than 5 seconds, so more frequent updates really would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYdjzbaPbA

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 08-12-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.