Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spectrum NX10 Binding

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 08:45 PM
ucme2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum NX10 Binding

Just bought a new NX10. Binding it to all my planes. The planes with AR7000 (with a satellite) receivers bind as expected... UNTIL: If I turn off just the plane, and keep the transmitter on, both units will blink when turned back on. If I turn both the transmitter off, and the plane off, but turn the transmitter on FIRST, they reconnect fine (with solid lights on). I have two AR7000's with satellites, both doing this same thing. IF I rebind them back to my old Futaba 9CAP FM with the Spectrum 2.4gh module, they operate perfectly every time. Can someone explain what I'm missing here?
Old 01-16-2024, 04:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

That's correct. It's using DSM2 the blinking is telling you that you lost power or dragged it below 3.3v or so during flight.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

To further explain.
A DSM2 transmitter sweeps the available channels during boot up and picks 2 clear channels and stays there. When the receiver boots it scans the band until it finds the 2 channels the transmitter is using and locks on and gives you solid lights.
When they first came out if there was a power shortage, usually caused by 4 cell packs being dragged down by a load, the receiver would reset and start scanning the band looking for the channels that the transmitter had picked. This resulted in a delay that depending on where it occurred in flight could cause a crash.
They then updated DSM2 to check the last channels used first and if the transmitter was there it would connect almost instantly, but it would flash to tell you when you landed that you lost power if it connected in that manner. If it didn't see its transmitter on those two channels it would then scan the band until it found its transmitter and lock on.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

When we created the IX and NX radios, we discontinued support of the DSM2 reboot feature. What you see with the AR7000 is what you will always see with it now. People have come to the realization that adequate power is essential, the vast majority (obviously not all) DSM2 receivers are out of use, and this feature was deemed to be no longer necessary.

Andy
Old 01-16-2024, 01:41 PM
ucme2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Help me understand what to do with my 3 AR7000 receivers+satellites with this new NX10. Can they be used safely?
Old 01-16-2024, 01:53 PM
AndyKunz

Use them. I have planes the same way. There is no problem with them, things are working exactly as we expect them to.

Andy
Old 01-17-2024, 11:10 AM
AndyKunz

Ignore the blinking on every single flight. The new radios do not support that DSM2 feature. We stopped making DSM2 receivers over 10 years ago (2011 or 2012).

Except for the blinking, everything else is working fine. You can keep on using your DSM2 receivers safely.

I have DSM2 receivers in a couple planes. I can't recall all which planes (doesn't matter) but one I know for certain has its original AR7000 in it. This Bridi T-20 has a lot of sentimental value - it was built together with my late building buddy Ellis Grumer for my father as a birthday gift. I have no qualms about flying it with this old receiver. It has been used with my Hitec Eclipse 7 with DM8 module, an original DX7, my first-production-batch DX8, my DX18 (later updated to G2 as a prototype), and now my NX10.

Andy