Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

8231 servo flutter

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
HardDeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8231 servo flutter

Hi Danny

I have 8231s in both elevator halves of great planes patty wagstaff extra 300. After about 50 flights the elevators have begun to flutter whenever the plane is bumped (such as flipping prop to start). The flutter continues until the controls are moved or the control surface is damped with a finger. I know that this has been discussed before, but I am disturbed by the fact that it did not occur until after a period of usage. I have replaced the control horns and servo arms to be sure that the problem is not in the linkages. Could this be due to wear within the servos? Should they be sent in for inspection and service? (Same problem with rudder servos - but that has been present since initial installation (despite trying several different servo to try to eliminate.)
I am putting together another wagstaff GP 300. What would you suggest for optimal servos if I want to flying precision and 3D?
Thanks
RJM
Old 08-20-2004, 08:50 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 8231 servo flutter

It could be due to pot wear in the servo. It would seem that this wouldn't be the case due to the low number of flights, but may be possible. It may be best to send them in to have them checked out.

I would stick with a digital servo for best overall performance. I'm not sure of the torque needs of that model, but servos that should work well include the 8231, 8411, 8611, 8411SA, and possibly the 9411. But again I'm not sure of the servo requirements of that model to give a good recommendation.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
HardDeck

Thanks Danny
RJM
Old 09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
HardDeck

Hi Danny
Now I have Hangar 9 23lb third scale extra 300 with 2127 x2 for elevators and ailerons, and 2 8411s for rudder. I am using 5 cell 3000mah JR receiver battery with JR charge jack switch. This set up came with the plane when I acquired it from friend - never flown. It flys great, but I am wondering re: 1- should I have more redundancy such as 2 batteries and switches (just not sure about likelihood of failure)? 2 - with five cells, do I need voltage regulator? 3 - what are your thoughts about servos 2127 adequate (one on each surface)?

Thanks for any comments.
RJM
Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The option of 2 batteries versus 1 on a plane this size is debatable. Personally, I feel that you could likely install 2 batteries and be lighter than your 1 - 3000 mah pack, possibly gain mah capactiy, and gain some redundancy in the process. If you do run 2 batteries, I would recommend installing regulators on each. If you don't, each pack with fight each other at all times draining the batteries quicker, and also in the event of a cell reversal in one pack it will drain the other. Effectively not using regulators on them will reduce the redundancy gained by using 2 batteries in the first place. The torque of the 2721 is sufficient provided the mechanical advantage of the set up is done properly. For insurance you could add another servo on each aileron. I haven't tried 1 2721 on the rudder of this size model, it is possible that you could see some blow back at higher speeds in particular. 1 - 8611 on this size model works well, I have used this set up, but the 8611 has considerably more torque than the 2721.