Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

549 RX and 811 servo jitters and Futaba gyro issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:37 PM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 549 RX and 811 servo jitters and Futaba gyro issue?

Hi Danny. Last week purchased a new 8103 heli radio with the 549 FM reciever and got 3 811 servos and 2 537 servos. I had wanted 5 811's per the promo, but they are Horizon reported being out of stock so my LHS owner swapped 3 of the servos for me from 537's to 811's. The 537's will not suffice for my Raptor 50 heli except for throttle. In any case I have been reading some previous posts you made regarding servo jitter with the 549 Rx and digital servos. My reciever has no blue dot on it and the servo's do jitter a bit but seem to respond normally. I wondered if you had any new info on this issue?

I also got a Futaba gy401 gyro and Futaba 9254 servo combo for the tail rotor and it goes crazy as soon a it is plugged into the Rx. Jumping all over the place and frequently seems to over travel and stall. I was unable to get a JR gyro from the LHS' stock on hand and have been told the gy401 is the best in it's price range. Will the Futaba gyro and servo simply not work with the 549 Rx? I'm kinda bummed here. I am ready to fly my new $1500 heli, other than the radio probs I am having. The rudder/gyro is my main concern of course.

Despite the comments I have seen about 1 or 2 digital servos being okay with the 549 Rx, any 1 of 4 the digital's in my heli jitter when plugged individually. It just gets much worse as I plug the rest in 1 at a time. The Futaba is by far the worst when they are all plugged in.

I'm already $150 over budget on the heli so I really don't want to have buy a PCM Rx for this heli.

I have the contact info for tech support already if you suggest I give them a call.

Thanks for your time,
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 549 RX and 811 servo jitters and Futaba gyro issue?

Basically the more digital servos you use, the more likely you are to see some jittering of the servos. The 549 receiver wasn't designed to work with digital servos, and doesn't work well with the feedback from many digital servos. I don't have any info on that gyro with JR equipment, I can't quarantee that it will work properly. However, with a gyro also connected along with digital servos, it is possible the problems you are seeing are also due to the feedback. I would recommend you call in to our product support techs to discuss this further at 877-504-0233.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
WhtBronco

I will call product support. Thanks so much Danny.

It is terrific that Horizon has given some of your time to the RCU bulletin board. I know many of us appreciate this feature, I sure do.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
WhtBronco

Well just in case anyone else is watching this post here's the latest. I talked to a product support rep at Horizon. He reported that I can send in my brand new 549 Rx so they can try to fix the problem, a problem they have known about for some time now yet still have the 8103 Tx and 549 Rx packaged with digital 811 servos on their web site. If they can fix it good, all I have to do is pay the shipping back to them. If not, from what I have seen this is not likely to be fixed short of buying a 649 PCM Rx, then I will likely have to pay the $40 difference.

FWIW, this radio system was ordered by my LHS last week so it is not a system that was produced some time ago, or it shouldn't be.

I had to wait for nearly 2 weeks to get the radio since it was suppose to come with digital 811 servos, but first arrived with standard 537's. So did the second for that matter since with 811's it's on back order, but the LHS owner swapped 3 of the 537's for 811's for me since he is a nice guy. I am not interested in waiting anymore to fly my new heli that has been ready to fly for almost 2 weeks short of the radio. I will likely go smash the 549 Rx with a hammer to make myself feel a bit better, well probably not but it sounded good. Then I'll go slap down another $160 for the 649 PCM Rx. The current turn around time for product support at Horizon is 6-8 days which really is not bad at all. Currently I have all JR radios, this 1 makes 4 total.

Maybe I can use the 549 in 1 of daughters planes in the future.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:42 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually that appears to be a misprint on our site, we don't have a package with the 8103, 549, and 811 servos available. The 8103 with 811 servos comes with the R700. I'm sure we can work something out to get you another receiver. I'll send you a PM shortly.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
WhtBronco

One more update on this issue. I am pleased to say that Horizon service has lived up to my customer service expectations on this issue. They have agreed to work this out for me in the manor I thought they should. That is more along the lines of the service I have come to expect from Horizon.

Thank you Horizon.