Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 Sailplane Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 03:36 AM
hydro_gin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 Sailplane Setup

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and am glad to have found a place to ask about JR radios. I'm currently flying 2-3 servo slope sailplanes and want to move up to 4-servo wings. Consequently, I'll need to upgrade my radio (I have a Hitec Flash5x now). The 9303 looks like a good candidate and I've been studying the manual. I think its a well-written manual (you should see the "brand M" manual!) but I need to ask a few questions because I don't have experience with higher-end radios or 4-servo wings.

First, regarding flight phases, let's assume I want to have 5 flight phases (Launch, Cruise, Land, Thermal, and Speed). If I assign selection of the first three phases to the Flap Switch, what switch is a good candidate for selecting Thermal/Speed when I'm in the Cruise mode? Wouldn't it have to be a 3-pos switch (Cruise, Thermal, Speed)? Seems it would have to be AUX2?

OK, I hope that wasn't a dumb question. Next, regarding camber/reflex, I know that the different phases let you select a specific aileron trim (camber/reflex) at the flick of a switch. On page S40 of the manual, the example has manual camber/reflex adjustment on the Left Slider. Is the slider like a trim lever with a center ident that I can feel or hear a beep? Now, if I switch to Launch mode, and the Left Slider is not in the center position, I think my camber wouldn't be where I expect it to be, correct? Just want to make sure I understand the concept.

Third question. If I have a glider with only 2 wing servos (no flaps) I like to use "spoilerons" for landing (i.e. ailerons go up together to spoil wing lift, but aileron function is still partly available) as opposed to "flaperons" (i.e. both ailerons down). Can I use the Butterfly Mix to do this?

Last question. Regarding snap-flaps described on pages S22 and S58, are snap-flaps like camber/reflex in that you can have different values in each flight phase? Normally I would think you'd only be using it in the Cruise or Speed phases. I'm a little confused on how to assign the Pos0 and Pos1 values to switches - onpage S22, the manual says:

"Switiches are available at the bottom of the screen that allow the selection of Pos0 and Pos1"

But in the figure shown on page S22/S58, I see three rectangles marked AX4, BTF, and RUD. Not sure what these mean, but what if I want to assign snap-flap Pos1 to the Gear switch, is this possible?

Well, I hope these questions aren't too silly. I look forward to learning more about the 9303.

ps. As I said, the 9303 manual reads nicely. However, I think the current version has an error on page S40 where the helo version of the Tx is shown.

Lance
Old 09-20-2004, 09:04 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 9303 Sailplane Setup

To use all 5 modes requires the use of the 2 - 3 position switches. Either switch can be used for the various modes.

The slider is like a trim lever, with a detent in the center so that you can feel center.

You can set up either positive or negative percentages in the butterfly menu which allows you to set this up to go either direction.

You can set snap flaps up to be active in only the flight modes you want it active, but the values in each mode would be the same (not independant). The rectangles shown indicate which switch can be selected for this function, however the screen shot that is shown doesn't have FM's active, with FM's active, the FM's also show up and allow you to select them for this function.

The switch layout shown is a heli in the diagram shown, but the info on it is correct.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:32 AM
hydro_gin

ORIGINAL: dsnyder
You can set snap flaps up to be active in only the flight modes you want it active, but the values in each mode would be the same (not independant). The rectangles shown indicate which switch can be selected for this function, however the screen shot that is shown doesn't have FM's active, with FM's active, the FM's also show up and allow you to select them for this function.
Thanks for your prompt reply Danny.

If FM's are being used, would it be possible to enable snap-flaps during the speed phase, but make it so a switch could control when it was on/off during the speed phase? Or are the choices limited to enabled all the time during specified phases, or enabled by a switch when FM's aren't used?

More importantly, whatever the rules are for setting up snap-flap, do the same rules apply to the other mixes?

Finally, in the snap-flap menu figure on page S22, what are the BTF and RUD rectangles? AX4 must be the AUX4/rudder-dual-rate switch on the top-right of the TX, but I don't know what the others are.

Lance
Old 09-21-2004, 08:44 AM
dsnyder

To have that it would require 2 different conditions for the same mix, which isn't possible. This is the same for all mixes. It would be on all the time in a flight mode or on a switch.

BTF is the butterfly switch, which on the air system is the gear switch, the long flat switch on the top left. Rud is the rudder dual rate switch. AX4 is the mix switch, the long flat switch on the top right.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:55 AM
hydro_gin

This is the same for all mixes. It would be on all the time in a flight mode or on a switch.
Thanks for explaining that Danny. Its good to know general rules of thumb like that.

Rud is the rudder dual rate switch. AX4 is the mix switch, the long flat switch on the top right.
Odd, in the diagram on page G9, the Rud switch is labelled AUX4/Rudder Dual Rate. Am I missing something, or might this be a typo?

Lance
Old 09-22-2004, 10:17 AM
dsnyder

In air mode the switch can be aux 4, but in glider mode the mix switch is aux 4.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:16 PM
hydro_gin

Thanks Danny, I didn't know the switch names were that different between the versions.

Lance
Old 09-27-2004, 03:01 AM
hydro_gin

Hi Danny,

I've another FM question. If I wanted to have 4 FM's (Launch, Cruise, Thermal, Land) and wanted all the switches that activate them to be on the left side of the Tx, would it be possible to assign selection of these FM's to the 3-pos switch (Flap Switch on p-G9) and the 2-pos Butterfly/Gear switch on the top-left of the case, respectively?

Also, does the radio determine which switch positions correspond to which FM's, or does the user assign them?

Thanks,

Lance
Old 09-27-2004, 10:12 AM
dsnyder

The first 3 FM's must be on either of the 3 position switches, either the left or the right. The 4th and 5th flight modes are accessed by another switch, this switch can be the AIL D/R, ELE D/R, RUD D/R, AUX 4 SW, R3P SW, L3P SW, or BTFL SW.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 AM
hydro_gin

Hi Danny,

I am *this* close to buying a 9303 but would like to ask a few more questions. I don't have a full-house sailplane yet, but intend to build one soon (Art Hobby Sierra) and want to make sure I'll have the right radio.

I would like to be able to run a full trailing edge (aileron and flap operating together as a single control surface) and also be able to adjust camber/reflex of the entire trailing edge with the left-side lever, during non-Landing FM's.

I know that I will need to enable the Aileron-to-Flap mix. I will also need to enable Camber Mix to allow adding reflex/camber to the aileron. But it seems I also need to enable Flap Rate to add reflex/camber to the flap. Why are there two different menu items for aileron and flap reflex/camber? I would think a single camber/reflex rate setting that's applicable to both aileron and flap would be enough. I'm guessing here, but could this ability to add independent camber/reflex be related to the fact that some ships may have limited up-throw on the flaps? Or perhaps is it sometimes desireable to add differing amounts of reflex/camber to the aileron and flap?

[Edit: I did see that part in the manual about needing to set Flap Rate before setting Camber Mix.]

Related to this, I would also like to be able to add reflex/camber to a two-servo wing (e.g. 60" slope racing glider). Am I correct in thinking that setting this up would be the same as for the full-house sailplane? I'm thinking I still need to set the Flap Rate and Camber Mix, even though there are no flaps on this type of glider.

Many thanks,

Lance