Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

TX Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:22 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX Throttle

As you're probably aware, I just got my 9303 a couple of days ago and I've pretty much got it all figured out for my type of flying. I LOVE IT!

Now.. Comes the question. I've found out on both the 8103's (of which I have two) and the 9303 that there's a fine point on the throttle between idle and cut-off. I've had this issue with all three of my radios. When I enter a spin at idle and bury the sticks for the spin, the motor dies because there seems to be one more click beyond idle if you pull hard on the sticks. This also occurs when I'm landing. You know, you're going a little fast and when you inherently or automatically pull a little hard on the throttle stick, the motor dies. I don't want to set up the low idle with the stick jammed because during normal flying and takeoffs, and when the stick is just at the bottom of the range, the idle is too high.

I'm guessing you'll probably say that there's nothing that can be done other than watching my stick input. I'm also guessing you'll probably say to program a high idle flight mode or the like, but that really won't help with landings. But can you tell me if there's a safe way to maybe set a mechanical stop, mix or something that would positively create when the stick is burried, it has the same setting as let's say, one click up?

Believe me when I say I love this radio. Also, believe me when I say I can somehow get used to or work around this issue. But, believe me when I say that this is a common occurance with a lot of the flyers at our field that use the 662, 8103 and now the 9303.

Any help will surly be appreciated.

John
Old 10-19-2004, 06:03 AM
John Murdoch

Default RE: TX Throttle

Any thoughts Danny?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

John i sent you a P.M. and i believe danny is out of town.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

look to your Travel Adjust and mechanical linkage. If you are less than 100% travel adjust and have some different values for travel adjust like 120% on the high side and 60% on the low side this will detract from your resolution on the servos. The result will be that each click of throttle stick is making the servo move "too much"...I know what you are saying. Its almost like the throttle stick has a 1/2 click at the idle position. If you put pressure on the stick it will take the full click and if you release the pressure it will pop back up to the 1 click higher position.

My suggestion to you is to work on the mechanical linkage in such a way to minimize the movement of the servo for this small change in percentage of the stick input. Another thing to look at is the throttle curve. If you flatten out this low point in comparison to the next point up on the curve then the servo response to this 1/2 click of throttle stick will be less.

Hope this helps...I have seen this before and its usually not an issue...If it is really bad then there are some tension and alignment adjustments on the gimbal itself that can eliminate this 1/2 click syndrome. I'm not advocating opening up the TX....But I have played with my 10X gimbals and eliminated this problem with just the tension on the throttle gimbal.

Not sure the 9303 has this easy to adjust feature on stick tensions. But there are some options if it is a problem. Let me know offline in an email and I can help you out with this issue.

Troy Newman
Team JR

[email protected]
Old 10-20-2004, 10:18 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also adjust the trim sensitivity in the trim step function to help with this.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:23 AM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: dsnyder

You can also adjust the trim sensitivity in the trim step function to help with this.
Danny is that to where you can adjust one click to a 1/2 click on the tx trim ??
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 AM
John Murdoch

Troy - Danny:
I'm running the same airplane with two different radios. The same thing occurs with both radios so I would have to assume it's somewhere in my mechanical linkage.

So, with the advise from both of you, I will try:

1) Adjusting the mechanical linkage to get as close to 100% on both sides of the throw
2) Flatten my throttle curve on the low end a little
3) Adjust my trim step sensivity (it's a 4 now)

Sorry Troy, but I just don't feel comfortable screwing around with gimbles. I get nervous when I change a fuse or even adjust the stick tensions. I'll go with what I've listed and see what that does for me.

Thanks Much Guys,

John
Old 10-20-2004, 10:29 AM
John Murdoch

Dennis.. How's your whether today? Here, rainy and cold... Must be 64 degrees or something like that.. It's only supposed to get up to 70 or so. More time to work on my other project though...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:47 AM
DENNIS C

Hey John its better then your's 55deg's and cloudy 5 mph winds. not bad for this time of the year.............................NOT!!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the trim step function adjusts how much movement you will get with each click of trim.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 AM
John Murdoch

Okay guys.. Thanks for all your suggestion. I've isolated the problem but I don't know how to rectify it.

Here's the deal. I readjusted all the mechanical linkages. Low throttle ATV @ 100% and high throttle linkage @ 104%. Pulled hard on the stick and got the additional throw. Enough to kill the motor. Set trim step to 3. Still got the additional throw. So, I decide to reset everything including my throttle curve and the kill program. I cleared the curve and cleared the throttle kill program. Whala, the problem was solved. No additional throw. I've found the throttle kill program was the culpret. Throttle-throttle mix, set on the land switch with settings set to 0 when the switch wasn't on and -40 with the switch thrown. This would cause the throttle servo to completely close the carb.

Now without activating that program, everything's fine. How do I program a throttle kill that won't affect the standard operating function of the throttle stick? I thought I did it right in the first place... But, I guess not, now that I've found what was causing the additional throw.

Thanks again for all the help....

John
Old 10-22-2004, 09:58 AM
John Murdoch

By the way, I had this program in both the 8103 and the 9303. I used both radios, deactivated the program in both TX's and the problem was solved for both... Go figure..