Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR Battery connectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:20 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JR Battery connectors

I bought a new battery for my X347 TX. The female connector is broke(cracked) and came apart. The plug on the battery wire(male part) is messed up too. The wires will slip right out with little pull. What is it with this stuff. The connectors should be best made parts in the system. If they even cause a loose connection for just long enough... by airplane. Do any of the newer JR radios use these poor connectors? Also how much to get fixed? Also how much for the computor battery? Thanks John
Old 11-06-2002, 04:26 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went around that problem...

I took off the back of my 8103 case, and soldered another set of leads to the positive/neg input posts. I used simple and sturdy standard JR gold leads that you see on all your other onboard gear, so now I can easily charge the pack on a quick charger, and can swap the pack with any other pack as I wish. I also use a connector clip for safety. I'm using a Powerflite tx battery. That thing will last for a month!!! I'm glad I did that mod. You might look into it.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2002, 02:03 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really give you a good estimate for the price. My guess would be around $50 for those services, but this is just a guess. New JR systems do use a different connector than the 347 had.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:29 PM
captinjohn

Default JR connectors

Coulter_Dean Thanks very much for your idea. I am going to give it a try. Did your connector that was on battery wire have a 1 and a 2 molded in the plastic? I got to make sure the of the polarity. Is 1 pos and 2 neg?? The wires will plug in either way. Got to make sure before hookup. Thanks John
Old 11-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Red= Pos, Black= neg. There are no numbers on my plugs. When you take the backplate off your radio, The posts should be marked pos/neg. If you are unsure about the battery, the flat ends are neg, and the posts are pos.

Hope this helps. Coulter
Old 11-07-2002, 09:30 PM
captinjohn

Default +or-

Dean: My X347 connectors must be different than your Tx. I can check the polarity with my digital voltmeter on the battery leads. It is the two posts I have to solder them to is what is in question. I will use a magnifier check it out more. Maybe ther is a + or - somewhere. Thanks Again John
Old 11-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Traxxas_Tech

There probably is a mark for the polarity. If not, Simply use your voltmeter on the posts with the battery connected. if you get a positive reading, then you have found your polarity. If you get a negative voltage reading, its the opposite. Good Luck, Coulter
Old 11-08-2002, 01:37 AM
captinjohn

Dean: I do not want to connect the battery because I have to know for sure what the plus + and negative- is on the _arn radio. Do you get what I am saying? John
Old 11-08-2002, 04:17 AM
Traxxas_Tech

I dont think its as difficult as you think it is. If you have a multi-meter with probes, you can easily find the polarity of the battery leads. I can already tell you, the red will be positive. Always has been.

As for the transmitter, You have to take the back off. Have you done that yet to see inside? More than likely, they will be marked with a + and - sign. Just look first.

If you have a camera, take a clear close up of the radio inside, I may be able to tell you which is which.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:14 PM
captinjohn

Default photo

Here is the X347 Radio photo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35212_2914.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	21746  
Old 11-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Ok, I think I see why you were confused earlier. You are going to need to take the entire back cover off, not just the battery cover. Be careful not to damage anything, and be gentle on the gimbals when you have it flipped over on its front.

Track the connections back to its main bus on the circuit board. Those posts are the ones I'm talking about. They were marked pos/neg on my 8103. Yours should be too.

Can you solder well? You cant be messy here. Red=Pos/Black=Neg.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:35 PM
captinjohn

Default X347 UPDATE

Dean: I got the other circuit boad up so I could see whats what. The Board is marked allright. Also the connector was loose where it attaches (soldered) to the board. I am taking the bad connector right out and going to solder new pigtail with a deans connector on it. That should fix it. Then I can use any battery with a deans connector. Thanks John
Old 11-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Here is the inside of one of my JR 783's. The newer version of your radio, (which has now been replaced with the X347).

I have two close ups. One Point on the board is marked with a +, so you should solder the red line here. Again, be careful not to bridge the two with a sloppy solder job... Check your board number against mine, if its the same, you can use my pics for reference.

Look closely on your board for a + mark... I cant imagine there not being one...

Solder the wires to the appropriate terminals, and route the connector underneath the board to the battery compartment.

Its that simple
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35245_1703.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	21747  
Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Traxxas_Tech

I would recomend using only a standard JR connector. Its slimmer than a Deans, so it is more likely to fit in the compartment, and you will be able to use the more common JR style batteries, and charge them with any JR charge lead.

I wouldnt use the Deans plug...
Old 11-13-2002, 12:49 AM
captinjohn

Default X347

Just got Back..... I did not have an extra deans connector, so I used a JR servo extension wire. It has JR connectors on it. Got it going right away. I hope it has the ma capacity to run radio good? What do you think. I may just get a heavy duty extension wire and use that. Any way it works for now. ThanKs CapinJohn P.S. my circuit board is just like yours, I think
Old 11-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Traxxas_Tech

You will be plenty fine with your pigtail, it will support much more battery than you will actually use. For longer days at the field, you wont regret buying a 1200mah tx. pack. Since you now have the stnd JR plugs, you can buy any 8 cell square 9.8V pack...

Good luck