Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

XP8103 MD1 vs MD2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 PM
TaxiMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP8103 MD1 vs MD2

I'm building a "ground station", a set of electronics to control an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). The communications to the UAV is via serial data over a spread spectrum radio modem. I won't be using the JR's transmitter.

When I need to manually control the UAV I need an 8-channel controller. I like the JR XP8103. I've selected the following:

XP8103DT PCM MD2 4-811; incl. controller & receiver
JRPA 132 direct servo connect cable
JRPA 130 trainer cable & JRPA 301 Datasafe for PC interface

So I should be able to connect the JR to a receiver in the ground station via the DSC cable. A small computer will read the eight pulse widths from the receiver. Knowing the pulse widths, the computer will send serial data to the UAV saying stuff like "turn right", "throttle down", that sort of stuff (but a lot more rigorously than my silly examples).

My questions:
What is the difference between the MD1 and the MD2?
My primary requirement is for an 8 channel controller - is there something better than the 8103?
Where can I get good mechanical specs for the controller (I need to fit it in the ground station case)?

I'm not very worried about the $$, I am concerned that I don't build in some problems down the road. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are basically two modes used by the vast majority of radio control enthusiasts today: "Mode 1" and "Mode 2".

"Mode 2" is by far the most common. With a "Mode 2" transmitter, the left stick controls throttle and rudder and the right stick controls elevator and aileron. The other, less common, configuration is "Mode 1". With a "Mode 1" transmitter, the left stick controls elevator and rudder and the right stick controls throttle and aileron.

The choice of system you use here really depends on what features you need the system to be capable of. If you need 8 channels or more, your choices from JR are the 8103 and the 10X. Each are very good systems and are very capable. Also, the datasafe system only stores model set ups. It is not for interfacing with a PC for use beyond this. A simulator interface may be better suited, like the CSM simulator interface. You would still have to set up the your systems to be compatible with this.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:46 AM
TaxiMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info! That makes perfect sense.

I have an older 10SX controller, is the 8103 physically the same size? Or is there a place to download rough outline dimensions for the 8103?

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:40 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are ruffly the same size. There may be some slight differences, but overall they are very close. If you need an exact measurement on anything, let me know which ones you need.