Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 + AR7000 Lost Binding Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
ChrisMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 + AR7000 Lost Binding Issue

I'm having a problem with my DX7 and AR7000 "losing" their bind.

Often, after successfully binding, when I try to reconnect the two (i.e., power the tx and rx on), I have to re-bind to get them to talk. When they're bound, everything works great.

For example:

Plug in bind plug -> power on Rx -> power on Tx with bind button depressed -> *Successful Bind* -> power off Rx -> Remove bind plug -> power off Tx

fuel plane

power on Tx -> power on Rx -> *Successful connection*

range check, fly plane, land (hopefully!)

power off Rx -> power off Tx

refuel plane

power on Tx -> power on Rx -> **** No connection ****

More often than not the Tx and Rx successfully connect immediately after binding, but any longer than that they won't reconnect after a rebind. I've tried powering things on in different orders, tried waiting 10-20 seconds after powering on the Tx before powering on the Rx, etc.

Any ideas? I have an AR6100 in a park flyer and it does not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
ChrisMH

Default RE: DX7 + AR7000 Lost Binding Issue

Any Idea?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't possible for the receiver to 'lose bind'. This is a linking issue on power up. The proper power up procedure is to turn on the TX, give it a few seconds to lock onto its 2 channels, then power up the receiver. Check your system over to be sure you don't have any any connection issues with any connectors. Also check to be sure your battery is adequately charged. If the problems continue, it may be a good idea to send the receiver in for a check over.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 AM
ChrisMH

That's the power up procedure I use. I'm using a 6V power system, fully charged, and have recently replaced all of the power connections, including the switch, so I'm fairly certain that's not the issue.

I think I'll pick up another AR7000 and send mine in.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I know this an old thread but, this is exactly what is happening to mine on the work bench while setting up my new plane. I'm curious to the fix as well. I have changed out batteries and the switch. It is usually the satellite that just starts blinking after it has been a solid light but, the main has done it a few times as well. Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the wiring between the base and the remote. If the wires are not supported, it's possible for vibration to cause wear at the contacts.

Andy
Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM
stangevil29

Both are laying flat and are not moving at all. I checked my other planes and they all work as normal. Sometimes both lights will stay solid for the entire duration I have them on (checking throws and such for up to 10 min's). Then other times they wont bind at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you happen to lay the DX7 transmitter down on something, you can accidentally push the bind button on the back when you turn the TX on.. I've had it happen with the TX in my small racing pit box. That button sticks out the back too far, isn't very well guarded. If you do happen to have this button pushed as you turn the TX on, you won't get a link until you go through the bind process again.

Now I make sure that I have the TX in my hands, rather than leaning on or laying on something, when I turn it on. I lost one heat of racing too many because I didn't know I was pushing on the bind button..

I was glad to see the bind button moved on the DX8 - less to worry about.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: stangevil29

Both are laying flat and are not moving at all. I checked my other planes and they all work as normal. Sometimes both lights will stay solid for the entire duration I have them on (checking throws and such for up to 10 min's). Then other times they wont bind at all.
just to keep the terms straight:

If the Bind Button is depressed, on the Tx, while you are turning it On, you will have to ReBind the Tx to the Rx. I had this happen with a DX7 because it was leaning against a piece of wood on the Starting Bench and the Bind Button was unknowingly being Depressed. This may not be your problem, but it one reason why I had to ReBind.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Jezmo

I had the issue Andy talked about above in post #6 - "Check the wiring between the base and the remote. If the wires are not supported, it's possible for vibration to cause wear at the contacts." - One of my older AR7000 receivers was exhibiting this problem and after replacing the remote "cable" the "Link" process worked perfectly. It's been fine for over a year now. While I'm sure Andy's explanation of vibration causing the issue is good I'm more inclined to think my particular case was corrosion since the "contacts" or pins and sockets are not gold plated. My cable was supported fairly well so I don't think vibration was the cause of the problem.

Good luck with getting it sorted out.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
onewasp

Quote....."While I'm sure Andy's explanation of vibration causing the issue is good I'm more inclined to think my particular case was corrosion since the "contacts" or pins and sockets are not gold plated. My cable was supported fairly well so I don't think vibration was the cause of the problem. "

Entirely possible but improbable as we flew for many, many years without gold plated anything and had no corrosion problems.
Only in late years did the gold plating arrive .
FYI
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
stangevil29

Thanks to all for the inputs. I have kickstands for my TX's so, they are never layed on there backs. I tried again tonight and everything went well the first time I was in the garage/hanger for about 15 min's. After dinner and the little ones homework I was at it again and it started dropping the bind( satellite start blinking and few moments later the main did the same). I contacted Horizon but, really dont expext much since they are the (old fashion rx's ).
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
fizzwater2

Interesting - when they start blinking, are you still getting servo response?

Some of the Spektrum receivers have a low-voltage indicator that causes the lights to blink if the power supply voltage gets too low, even momentarily.

Perhaps you have a battery, switch, or wiring issue, a binding servo, or a battery that's not large enough / low impedance enough for the job?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 PM
stangevil29

Yes, the servo's are still working as long as the main rx is solid and not blinking like the satellite. I am using a 6v hydramax and swapped it with a fully charged 4.8 as well as a new switch right out of the box and still get the same results, all wiring is new as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM
fizzwater2

let us know what horizon says.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

I'm having a problem with my DX7 and AR7000 "losing" their bind.

Often, after successfully binding, when I try to reconnect the two (i.e., power the tx and rx on), I have to re-bind to get them to talk. When they're bound, everything works great.

For example:

Plug in bind plug -> power on Rx -> power on Tx with bind button depressed -> *Successful Bind* -> power off Rx -> Remove bind plug -> power off Tx

fuel plane

power on Tx -> power on Rx -> *Successful connection*

range check, fly plane, land (hopefully!)

power off Rx -> power off Tx

refuel plane

power on Tx -> power on Rx -> **** No connection ****

More often than not the Tx and Rx successfully connect immediately after binding, but any longer than that they won't reconnect after a rebind. I've tried powering things on in different orders, tried waiting 10-20 seconds after powering on the Tx before powering on the Rx, etc.

Any ideas? I have an AR6100 in a park flyer and it does not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks,
Chris
I had this problem with a DX8 and an AR8000..

Turned out it was because the RX and TX were too close when I powered up..

After a good bind.. I now have the Helicopter at least 6 feet away from the TX when I turn it on.. after turning the TX on and leaving it for 5 seconds..

I have never had a recurrence.. and now have hundreds of flights without ever having to rebind..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You have all the symptoms of a bad wire between the rx and satalite.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Quote.....''While I'm sure Andy's explanation of vibration causing the issue is good I'm more inclined to think my particular case was corrosion since the ''contacts'' or pins and sockets are not gold plated. My cable was supported fairly well so I don't think vibration was the cause of the problem. ''

Entirely possible but improbable as we flew for many, many years without gold plated anything and had no corrosion problems.
Only in late years did the gold plating arrive .
FYI
Yep, I guess you're right. It's highly improbable as I've also flown for the last 40 years without gold plated anything. Oh wait, the satellite cable replacement "fixed" the problem. Must have been them darned gremlins again. They get into everything.

The radios of yesteryear didn't have as much of a problem with minute amounts of corrosion because the voltage/current requirements were significantly different than today's digital marvels and a small amount of resistance on the older stuff was "tolerable". The voltage tolerances are very tight on some the new digital circuits and as such most modern equipment uses the gold plated parts to meet the required specs. It's a whole new world we live in (digital everything) and what worked in the days of yesteryear now belongs in a museum. All of my servo extension leads have gold plated contacts and pins and I expect that trend to continue to trickle into everything used in the system. It would be nice if Spektrum would use gold plated pins and contacts on the bus between the main and satellite receivers but they don't at this point so I can just wait and hope.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

You have all the symptoms of a bad wire between the rx and satalite.
Not sure if you were referring to my AR8000.. it works flawlessly and I now have it bound to a JR11x in DSMX mode.. It range checks perfectly.. both the main and satellite..

It actually range checks much better with the 11X.. significantly better...

Vid here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gl6e25m9WU
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
who knows

I also have a dx7 and have lost two planes in three weeks..pulse 60 and a corsair 50..both dove out of the sky after 10 mins flying straight into the ground..both motors slowed and fell without any response to inputs from the control ..ar7000 and ar6200 receivers both had 6.4 volts from batteries
both total lost..both lost bind while flying..had a third lose bind while testing the transmitter with a total new receiever..it also just dove and crashed but little damage.sending back the transmitter..
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: who knows

I also have a dx7 and have lost two planes in three weeks..pulse 60 and a corsair 50..both dove out of the sky after 10 mins flying straight into the ground..both motors slowed and fell without any response to inputs from the control ..ar7000 and ar6200 receivers both had 6.4 volts from batteries
both total lost..both lost bind while flying..had a third lose bind while testing the transmitter with a total new receiever..it also just dove and crashed but little damage.sending back the transmitter..
Sounds like the Rx's went into Failsafe. This is usually due to a loss of Signal from the Tx. This is referred to as a Break in the Link, not a Lost Bind. If the Tx still communicates with the Rx, after the crash, the Bind is still intact. Just trying to keep the terms straight.

It is no fun to lose an aircraft, especially to a radio problem. Do some Range checks on the ground. Use a Flight Logger if you can.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM
who knows

Thank you. I had three planes  go into failsafe for some reason.They all where still bound..not sure why all three crashed..two at 200 to 300 yards away.the third  1 over the runway while testing the transmitter to see if there was a problem..and sure enough it flew straight in also from 30 feet up..no control.So much for spektum radios.Sad the radio is just coming on 1 year.and i dont fly much...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM
washfire

I lost a Hnager 9 RV-8 a few weeks ago for the same resaon... 3rd flight with the plane so it was working great.. 2nd flight for that day... lost signal in the 4th lap and down she went... Total loss... After recovery.. Checked all batteries.. All god.. It's a shame something can't be done.. Just another few hundres buck down the drain and no-one to take care of it./..( I know some will say I was possibly at falt but I don't think so, every thing checked out before and after)