Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

X9303 draws current with power off; XP9303 does not; why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
eajohnson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X9303 draws current with power off; XP9303 does not; why?

I have both an X9303 and an XP9303. I've noticed that the X9303 does a very poor job of holding battery charge (after 2 weeks of non-use the battery is completely discharged; the XP9303 sitting right next to it holds a charge just fine). I measured the resistance across the battery terminal with a DVM and with power switch off, resistance on the X9303 is 8.2 kOhm, vs unmeasurably high MOhm on the XP9303. With power switch on the ON position the XP9303 and X9303 both measure somewhere in the range of 5.6 - 5.8 kOhm i.e. there is _less_ resistance on the X9303 with power off, than with power on!!

This is the same X9303 that has problems binding (easily swamps the rx in most situations so binding is difficult, Spektrum TX at same range has no problem), and also with which I lost radio contact with an EDF at 800' range with obvious consequences (though I have no reason to believe that this was necessarily caused by the TX). It has always range checked OK.

So, is this a smoking gun indicator that my X9303 is defective, or is there some reason this TX might have been designed to draw power even when the power switch is off, or is there something I missed in the manual somewhere that would cause this?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: X9303 draws current with power off; XP9303 does not; why?

It sounds like there might be an issue, I'd recommend sending the system in for a check up.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

so, pretty much any problem that anybody has is just "to send it in"
Danny, maybe you could add more to this besides you standard default statements.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Teryn,

It is almost impossible to diagnose a problem via a message forum. Danny could only guess at what the problems COULD be, however... if he stated categorically that it was Q102 leaking, is that going to help you ??

As a repair engineer, I have a few suspicions as to what it could be and (trust me on this), it wouldn't help at all !!!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
teryn1

good point. he is just so systematic, robotic and repetitive with answers.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
eajohnson

My interpretation of his reply was "yes there's something wrong". If it was supposed to be drawing power for something when turned off, I'd hope he would have elaborated.

I need to send in a crashed rx anyway as while it seems to work on the bench, I've quarantined it until it's been properly checked out. I might as well send in the tx also. There's snow on the ground so I'm a little more mellow about these things than I would be if this was going to take away flying time.

OK, a lot more mellow.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
teryn1

Well, it's an easy way to answer a question instead of asking somebody to tell you the details. It gets you off the hook fast and easy. That aside, he does do a very good job of helping with setups and mixing and radio usage and things like that. so, I have to give him credit....

As for your below, You can be rest assured you'll hear those famous words - "send it in" LOL

ORIGINAL: eajohnson

My interpretation of his reply was "yes there's something wrong". If it was supposed to be drawing power for something when turned off, I'd hope he would have elaborated.

I need to send in a crashed rx anyway as while it seems to work on the bench, I've quarantined it until it's been properly checked out. I might as well send in the tx also. There's snow on the ground so I'm a little more mellow about these things than I would be if this was going to take away flying time.

OK, a lot more mellow.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
jason

I have a 2.4 9303 and I have noticed the battery goes flat after a couple of weeks. I think I may have a scimilar problem. I will do some tests.
Jason
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
teryn1

Danny, could you please take 5 minutes and ask your engineers if should be the case or not. People don't need to take the time and money to send equipment in if it isn't needed.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Remove the fuse and measure the current drawn with set switched off. If it draws current then it would suggest that there is a leak, if that is the case then send it in for repair/replacement.