Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AR6200 is only a DSM2, (I think it not a X) IMHO I would never recomend DSM2 used on anything past a small foamie, upgrade to the newer X TX and RX and you will be ok.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not going to comment on your xmitter issues as I don't have anything constructive to say. But posting comments for future reference.

First, sorry for your loss. Its always bad when someone crashes a plane (or 2).

IMHO, the AR6200 power buss (or trace is more like it) is too small for any plane over a .60 size. Don't take my word for it, open it up and look for yourself. I doubt it will handle the current requirements of your power hungry digital servos.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by 3dsky
The AR6200 is only a DSM2, (I think it not a X) IMHO I would never recomend DSM2 used on anything past a small foamie, upgrade to the newer X TX and RX and you will be ok.
DSM2 is certainly fine on inexpensive planes but the primary advantage of the newer frequency hopping of all manufactures (such as Spektrum in this case) is operating in an environment with a LOT of RC transmitters or other interference on the 2.4 gHz band. DSMX and other frequency "hopping" protocols don't provide much additional insurance under normal conditions. If there aren't a lot of transmitters or noise on the band about the only thing you gain with DSMX is a little less latency.

A data logger or telemetry is your best friend. (Events like Joe Nall are a different situation entirely.)

Paul

Last edited by SkidMan; 02-26-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 PM
MtElimFLYGUY

You guys are aware that the original post was almost 4 years ago and we didn't have dsmx back then. The guy had a6200 receiver and it browned and he didn't have failsafes set, took the rx out put it in another plane browned it to. So could have been tx or rx no one knows
Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 AM
dontrinko

Sorry to hear about your DX6I problems. I have had one for almost a year. flown mostly helis indoor so far but I intend to use it outdoor in the spring for some bigger helis. So far no problems with the DX6I. Don
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrinko
Sorry to hear about your DX6I problems. I have had one for almost a year. flown mostly helis indoor so far but I intend to use it outdoor in the spring for some bigger helis. So far no problems with the DX6I. Don
The only problem I've had with the DX-6i's (Have two, one DSM2 only, One DSMX) was that the battery spring contacts on the DSM2 6i can make intermittent contact with the batteries.
Bending them slightly seems to solve the problem. $75 seems a bit steep to pay to upgrade the DSM2 unit. Now if I was looking for a 6 channel TX, I'd at least consider the "new" DX-6.
Due to problems I've had in the past with rechargeable AA's, I use conventional non rechargable AA's in the 6i's.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had two DX6is, still have two DX8s and now have a new DX9. All were/are DSMX. I have tried JR, Tactic and Futaba. I have settled on Specktrum, mainly because of DSMX, Telemetry and now voice alarms. JR is too expensive. I'd rather buy an extra plane for the kids. (By the Way; JR can fail too. One of our pilots just sent one back in for repairs. But, they all can fail!)

I have flown parkflyers to 35% giants on each of these Txers. I normally check for Fades, Frame Losses and Holds, etc. I still use real time telemetry on the two giants with the DX8s. I fly them way way out there. In two seasons, I have seen two frame losses and one hold. The Hold was on a junker that I turned off and back on the transmitter for a test, and it flew back in safely. I use the telemetry to gauge how far out I can fly them. Once I see a frame loss or hear its alarm, I know I am at the limit. IMHO the current Spektrum transmitters are rock solid. Their customer service is outstanding. I have sent these back in for broken switch replacements and they always fix and then functionally test them w/o any cost. I have had one suspect receiver replaced at no cost to me. This high cost RXer replacement was provided as a result of a phone call discussion! Another example of HH going out of their way to ensure their products work!

What I have seen are many larger planes set up with multiple high-powered servos being driven directly off the Rxer buss. IMHO that Rxer buss was not designed to run the high loads of today's multiple 200+ in/oz servos per control surface. On these planes, the voltage drops are significant and thus the voltage momentarily drops below the Rxers cut-off. Also, eventually a servo reacts to the low voltage, dies and causes and extreme load on the other one. I have had an aileron servo fail like this, and fortunately I was still able to get the plane on the ground and ID the problem. That's when I learned the below:

When you setup a plane, get that current meter out and look at your loads. Then calculate the potential peak loads. Digital servos can be operated in parallel (i.e. their loads can occur at the same time.) Two High Voltage Digital servos can momentarily draw 5 amps each for a total of 10 amps peek, etc.. Analog Servos move sequentially. They do not have these types of high power demands. Also, watch the voltage drop as you depress a control surface by hand. Watch it drop further when you move another surface while still holding the first surface. You do that a couple times and you will see why at lot of builders have switched to 2 & 3S LiPo and 2 & 3S LiFe with regulators. And in the really power hungry planes they go to something like a Smart-fly or Powerbox power distribution system. The information is out there on the net. It is provided by reputable sources. All you have to do is take the time to read it.

One other thing I have seen cause two failures: Using BECs instead of separate batteries for the ignition circuit. The RF Noise that comes back from the ignition circuit is directly "piped" into the Rxer by BECs. You need to isolate the ignition source from the Rxer or the RF generated by the ignition can overload the RXer's front end resulting in the Rxer not being able to receive your transmitter's signals resulting in a crash.

By the way, some of the data collected in above posts has to be wacky. With DSMX, you can't have a Hold w/o 45 consecutive frame losses. Maybe that was DSM2 data? Anyway, if you got room for it, install telemetry. Just real-time flight log data can help you save the plane. At the very least, a pocket flight log data reader can tell you what went wrong from an RF perspective, ... as long as the battery is still connected.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 AM
prop
My Feedback: (1)

Len,
I agree with you. It became more confusing when I tried to understand the difference between Spectrum RC (spread spectrum frequency) and the Airtronics (Frequency hopping 2.4 GHz system).
I have been using the Airtronics systems in California with good luck and no apparent loss of signal or lockout when I have been flying here. I discovered that spread spectrum frequency may be more prone to lock outs secondary to interference or loss of power in the model with incorrectly placed receivers.* The airtronics system has one receiver with two antenae meant to be placed at 90 degrees from each other and it seems to be less sensitive to placement of the receiver in the aircraft as well.

*Spread spectrum radio sets work in a way very similar to PCM ones in the way they respond to strong
interference. If you're unlucky enough to experience interference so strong that the link between transmitter and
reciever is lost, your receiver will enter "hold/lockout" mode and then go to failsafe mode (if set).
The cause of such a lockout/failsafe can be almost anything including, but not just limited to, interference. In fact, in
the case of spread spectrum systems, experience has shown that lockouts are far more likely to be caused by
inadequate batteries in the model or bad installation.

Prop
Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Two cross-polarized antennas have a 30 dB signal loss. That is about a 97% reduction of signal strength. If you are suspicious of experiencing loss of signal, try a Spektrum setup with a couple remote Rxers. I have three remotes in the Jet and the Extra. With three Rxer's antennas you can position them so that at least one Rxer's antennas is polarized the same as your Txer at all times. Or, get a DX9 which has one antenna vertically polarized and one horizontally polarized. At least you have double the chances of not having the TXer and Rxer antennas cross-polarized. And, ... if you use flight logging, you can see which remote may need to be re-positioned away from interfering plane structure to avoid excessive fades. Flight logging data can even tell you when a Rxer is about to or has failed. A good Rxer that uses remotes will not even start, if a remote has failed. Throw in real time telemetry on the RPM for in the air prop testing, Battery Voltage and Head Temps all on the transmitter, with voice alarms, and need you even ask why Spektrum.