Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K210 G2 failsafe

Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 AM
Afterburners

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K210 G2 failsafe

Hey Guys,
Got one run in on this engine on the test stand a few weeks back when the weather was decent. Ran fine but now looking in the manual on setting up the failsafe and don't see anything. What am I missing?. Using Futaba BTW. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I set failsafe in the radio for my turbines.

Just set the throttle channel instead of hold last position, to full down throttle and full trim down, not sure how to do it in that radio.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
I set failsafe in the radio for my turbines.

Just set the throttle channel instead of hold last position, to full down throttle and full trim down, not sure how to do it in that radio.
Yeah but that's not really the way it should be. If you just use the radio, the ECU will not be able to interpet a failsafe from a normal shutdown and the standard(AMA rules I believe) is a two second delay before the ECU must shutdown the turbine when it sees a failsafe. If you go into failsafe for say one second, the ECU will shutdown the engine because all it sees is a shutdown command. If it can interpet the difference between a user commanded shutdown and a failsafe(like other turbines I've setup) it will give you two seconds so you may be able to regain engine control. I've only used Jetcat and JetCentral and both have failsafe setups that the ECU can differentiate from a user shutdown..
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 AM
causeitflies

If your normal throttle is set to say -100% for shut down, then set the fail-safe to something like -125% so the ECU knows it is out of the normal range used for the learning process.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how I set up my fail safe on my 10CAP Futaba for my JC, KT and TJT turbines.

Set the top and bottom throttle travels to +/-100% then move the throttle and trim all the way down on the radio, now go the fail safe page and set the throttle fail safe, with the stick and trim all the way down you will see the lowest possible numbers, go back to travel page, re-set the throttle low travel to 75% and do the learn RC steps.

From this point on any time the ECU sees a command that does not fall between kill and full power it knows the radio is in fail safe and starts the timed shut down, if the command comes back into range before the time expires everything continues on as normal.

The ECU knows the radio is in fail safe because the fail safe throttle command was set to a level that is higher than the level that your learn kill is.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-11-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Afterburners

Guys, I understand what you are saying and I will try those suggestions and I'm sure one if not both will work. Carlos, your's is how Jetcat sets theirs up and I think Mark's is for the newer versions of the JetCentral's. My real question is, where in the KT manual does it suggest any of these failsafe setups? In the teach ECU, it goes through the steps setting end points from 0 to 100 with low and high trims but that's it as far as I can see. The only place I see where it mentions failsafe is on page 28 to teach the ECU your radio and on page 64 for diagnostic messages where it mentions that when the ECU sees a failsafe, it brings the engine to idle for .5 seconds and will hold idle for another 1.5 seconds if it continues in failsafe and then shutdown. My main thing is that the manual is well written and seems to cover everything except how to setup the failsafe(unless I'm not seeing it) which is a fairly important step?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:32 PM
CARS II

Ok, I see what you are looking for, I have a K80G1, it has the Xicoy ECU, I believe the KT G2 ECU fallows that programming.

The fail safe on the Xicoy ECUs is set from factory to the 2 secs to comply with the AMA regs, I bet all other ECUs are the same way, can't get to it and I'm ok with that.

This is how simple I can explaine it.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-11-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:06 PM
CARS II

I will check the manual tonight.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 PM
causeitflies

This got me thinking so I pulled out my Hunter to check.
Under the "List of ECU Warning Message Codes:" on pg 63 the manual says that "RC SIGNAL LOST / INCORRECT: The signal received from the RX is wrong (outside calibration margin) or absent."

I think these codes show up in the logs but I don't see them anywhere on the GSU but may be under Abn codes after a run.

I set up my throttle fail-safe outside of my learned range and when I disabled my TX the GSU said "Trim Low Th: OFF".
Next I set my throttle fail-safe to OFF and the GSU flashed between "Th: OFF" and "Th: ----"

Once the signal was restored and if in low trim, it continued to flash until the trim was raised. If it was above low trim it would continue without the flashing. Then all was normal again. So, the turbine may have gone into fail-safe in both cases or maybe just when the signal was totally lost but I think the only way to know is to dig into the logs to find the codes.

Last edited by causeitflies; 02-11-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:57 PM
causeitflies

Just a P.S.... of course the engine wasn't actually running in my workshop so I don't know what message might show with a running engine going into fail-safe.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Afterburners

Mark,
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to get it to work. I learned the ECU with -100 to +100 and then raised my endpoints to program the f/s from -100 to -125. Once set, I moved the endpoints back to -100 to +100. I move the trim all the way up where I get "ready" and "idle" on the display. I then turn off the radio and the display stays at idle instead of TH:OFF. I have to check if it has something to do with my setup? Two Rx's with a Smoothflite maybe is affecting it although I can't see how. Don't want to get stuck on this as I'm ready to balance the plane. Think I'll get that done first so I can get all my batts permanently positioned and then go back to getting it working. Thanks again for the pics and info.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 PM
CARS II

When I was setting up my K80 I tried to get it to go into fail safe without runing it and couldn't make it happen, I end up runing the engine at home and it work as expected.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-11-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 PM
causeitflies

Marty,
Are you setting Fail-safe in the Smoothflite if possible?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know in all my motor I always do this test.....turn off the RX and 1.5 sec later the engine shutdown...it’s already programmed....I also set my failsafe in the TX.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 AM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by causeitflies View Post
Marty,
Are you setting Fail-safe in the Smoothflite if possible?
Didn't even think about that. First time using one. Just checked the manual and it does have a failsafe menu. Will mess with it later today. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 AM
Afterburners

Ok, smoothflite says to use their f/s and disable the tx's. Tried that but same thing. I sent a message to KT last night but have yet to receive a response. For some reason I'm not so sure that the engine would not shutdown when in f/s even though I don't see a change when I shut off the tx on gsu display although Mark does.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM
causeitflies

What radio?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Afterburners

Futaba 18MZ.