Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

first KT45 run

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 10:36 PM
KWK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first KT45 run

Hi

I'm new in turbine world , purchased my first turbine heli KT800 (previously flown the same scale but electric type )
I have a question regarding turbine , I'm not sure I get it right and manual is a bit frugal in my opinion for newbies like me .

TEST page
page 6 - TEST PUMP - this is used before each flight or first flight of a day to be sure fuel line is loaded with fuel all the way to engine - using this I need to be careful do not flood the turbine because the fuel valve at the engine is open in this case . So the correct way is to stop this function running when you see fuel reached the engine ?

page 9 - TEST PRIME FUNCTION - this is only used to check your pump - fuel valve at the engine is closed in this case however I should disconnect fuel line from the engine anyway

Do you use TEST PUMP (page 6 ) before every flight , first flight of a day ?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2023, 02:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Only during initial setup. Once the fuel line is primed you shouldn't have to do it again unless you pull and drain the fuel line.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:10 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

The test fuel pump function will run the pump and open the electronic fuel valve to allow the fuel to get to the engine, that’s why they ask you to not to flood the engine by removing the fuel line at the engine.

The test prime function will do the same but, this time it will open the priming electronic valve to allow the fuel to get to the plug.

You only have to disconnect the fuel line once, and as BH mention, you do this to get the air out if the fuel line whenever is needed ( engine removed, new fuel line and such )

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-21-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:39 PM
KWK

thank you guys !

one more question , regarding storing the turbine , wondering if there is anything bad storing it vertically ( nose down ) ? or better keep it horizontally ? I have read some post that storing it vertically is not a good idea because some internal lines may be clogged by oil residue etc.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:42 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

i can see why they will say that, I store my engines horizontally, have one that was stored like that for about 5 years, it started right away on the first try.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:02 PM
KWK

Hi

what about running turbine without blades ? is it allowed ? not sure if it's a good idea to run gearbox without a load
Old 07-12-2023, 05:48 AM
Thoemse

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KWK
Hi

what about running turbine without blades ? is it allowed ? not sure if it's a good idea to run gearbox without a load
I own the KT-800 for a while now and my first very short run was without main blades and i had no issues. I picked a low RPM setting and I had tail blades installed. That way there is load on the gearbox. Not much but not much less than spooling up with the blades at zero pitch.

I store the heli horizontally btw. I do not use any of the TEST functions. You definatly do not need the test pump function unless you completely dry the fuel system everytime wich doesn't seem very practical.
I fly my heli down to about 1/3 to 1/4 of the main tank usually. This is how I put it onto the shelf. Next flight I fill it up and go fly. Other then going through the typical RC heli routine (checking for loose screws, slop in the linkages) there is really not much to it. The KT-800 isn't harder to handle than your typical electric heli.

Calling the manual frugal is quite the understatement unless you found one. Mine came in a box without any instructions. I picked the manual of a regular KT G4 turbine and went from there. If you have an actual manual I'd be interested.

Last edited by Thoemse; 07-12-2023 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:51 PM
KWK

thanks Thoemse

I did my first run today , as you said heli is very stable , I think even more stable than my electric 800 .
everything went smooth , one think I wonder if I'm not too rich with oil , (ratio I did 19 liters of pump diesel + 1 liter of Kingtech oil ) it was a bit too smokey I think , not much but done mainly hoovering so area was covered by visible blue thin fog ;-)
, on the YT videos mostly there is no smoke coming out of a turbine

Regarding manuals , the only one I have found on the internet Kingtech turbines engine manual Gen.4 + KingTech Turbines K800-H
Old 07-15-2023, 11:53 PM
Thoemse

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

19l Jet A1 + 1l Kingtech oil is good. I never saw smoke but then again I did not hover it in one place at all so far. Do you see smoke when spooling up? ( I don't)