Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Daddy Rabbit >

Daddy Rabbit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Daddy Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daddy Rabbit

I'm looking at a 60 size build for my Saito 91 and was wondering if anybody has flown and/or built one lately... a buddy of mine swears i will love it and he's usually right...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Daddy Rabbit

I had t goggle daddy rabbit.  Ive never seen one.  The pics looked cool.  Size wise it looks like a 91 will yank it around the sky with ease.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Do search in the classic pattern forum and you'll find lots of info on recent builds of the Daddy Rabbit. The DR with an OS 91 4 stroke is very common at SPA (Sr Pattern Association) events and no reason your Saito wouldn't be an equally good choice for power
Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't build it stock to the plans you will be OK. I was talked into doing this one old school with trike gear and the beam motor mount with the engine sticking straight up. Never again. Using the beam mounts leaves almost no room to get an engine in there and a four stroke didn't fit. I went with an SK .91 two stroke and built the cowl around the engine. If I built another one I would use a modern motor mount and side mount it so one of my OS .91FS fit and make it a tail dragger. As for flyine it is a perfect plane like all of the old school pattern planes. It's short coupled compared to something like the Kaos or Dirty Birdy but every bit as stable. Have fun with it!!
Gene
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM

so turn the engine sideways and use a regular mount... Anything else????
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: coachdavis10

so turn the engine sideways and use a regular mount... Anything else????
Not really, if you go taildragger then you have a spot for the fuel tank. The way I built mine the old school beam motor mounts go along the side of the front part of the fuse and in the bays behind the engine. That made it so you needed a narrow tank. By being a trike geared plane that took up more room. Because of the lack of room I just installed a pair of small servos behind the engine compartment, one for throttle and one for steering the front wheel. It worked very well but it put the tank way back under the canopy in another bay. If I built aother one I would do a standard mount and make it a tail dragger.
Some people like the old school look. Truth is if they would have had some of the cool stuff we have today they wouldn't have done things the way they did.
Still a great flying plane and tracks like it was on rails!! It was designed and campaigned in 1966 and won a lot of events and one national as I recall. It was designed to be heavy because it was campaigned from state to state in all weather conditions. Makes a very nice all weather sport plane.