Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

pre-seaming solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

pre-seaming solartex

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre-seaming solartex

hi all i will be using solartex to cover my next plane a 100cc size culp special. my question is can i pre seam solartex like you can with monokote? my meaning here is to take your base color which for me is black then on top of glass attach the trim together with 1/4-1/2 inch overlaps then apply the whole sheet to the wing in one shot eliminating all the extra base color material under the trim colors. my scheme will be fairly simple with blue full cord scallops with a white accent scallop then a black base color. the blue will be painted on but the white i was planning on using covering for so that i only have to paint one line instead of two. i would then clear coat the rest of the bare covering

the pics are a work in progress but it gives you an idea of my scheme

also i will not be pre-seaming the fuse too many curves but i will still be using white covering for the accent and paint the blue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45676.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1543861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70994.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1543862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52148.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1543863  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: pre-seaming solartex

When you over lap with ST it's a must to put the dark over the light. The TEX shows through a lot more then the plastic coverings like Mono and Ultra. Is that what you are asking? Other then that the TEX goes on just like the plastics, just stretches over curves and shrinks better. Great stuff!! I love working with the TEX coverings.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
rotccapt

what i was wanting to do was patch work my color scheme together on glass and then apply it to the plane as one piece instead of applying one color then the next and so on having lots of extra covering layers that are really not required
Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me, it would be easiest to cover the entire model in the base color, and use paint for the trim.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used solartex quite a bit, including right now on a BUSA DH-4. I have not had good results using it for trim. What I find is that the trim will shrink when heat is applied and I get wavy lines. I suspect you will see it wrinkle up when you tack the trim to the base color and you will have to get the iron close to the seam when you install it. I agree with Tom that it would be best to paint the trim. I have used epoxy, rustoleum, polyurethane, nitrate dope and latex successfully on ST. Also agree with Gray Beard on the opacity of ST.
Chuck
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 AM
rotccapt

so since my base color for this scheme is black, do you think i would have good results trying to paint my white and blue over the black or should i just cover it in white and paint the whole plane? i am planning on using klass kote paint or possibly rustolium because it will be a gas plane
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: rotccapt

so since my base color for this scheme is black, do you think i would have good results trying to paint my white and blue over the black or should i just cover it in white and paint the whole plane? i am planning on using klass kote paint or possibly rustolium because it will be a gas plane
No, painting over black is a problem. TEX gets shrunk with just an iron so there is no reason to over shrink it. It will do what you want on the glass. It goes down with less heat then other coverings too. You just have to remember if you have a light color going over a dark color you can see the dark through the light. If you think you will have a problem try some test pieces. Borrow some colors from friends so you don't have to buy it before testing. Klass Kote is over kill for a gas plane. As much as I like it I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a gasser. I also wouldn't be using gloss paint on TEX. In the air I like the non reflective surface. If I wanted glossy fabric I would use C 21. TEX can be bought in colors so I try to use the colors they have and forget about painting. If you want glossy just use plastic covering.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: R8893

I have used solartex quite a bit, including right now on a BUSA DH-4. I have not had good results using it for trim. What I find is that the trim will shrink when heat is applied and I get wavy lines. I suspect you will see it wrinkle up when you tack the trim to the base color and you will have to get the iron close to the seam when you install it. I agree with Tom that it would be best to paint the trim. I have used epoxy, rustoleum, polyurethane, nitrate dope and latex successfully on ST. Also agree with Gray Beard on the opacity of ST.
Chuck
Chuck, I use ST over ST for trim quite a bit. I also use 21st Century fabric over ST if I want a shiny graphic or stripe. I think the key to not getting wavy lines is just to use a very low temp to tack on the overlay and then go over the entire surface, including the surrounding area, with a little higher temp. Also, using a sock on the iron gives me better heat control.
Augie
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM
rotccapt

thanks for the info i have used world tex before and loved it. i have a little bit of white left over from that project so i may play with it and see what happens. i have used 21 centry fabric before and did not really like it so i will not be using it. i just like the look of painted fabric with a semi gloss to it. i dont want the super shiny look of monokote or ultrakote for this plane. it is a new-age plane designed to look like a barnstormer

so rustolium is a good paint for this fabric?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: rotccapt

thanks for the info i have used world tex before and loved it. i have a little bit of white left over from that project so i may play with it and see what happens. i have used 21 centry fabric before and did not really like it so i will not be using it. i just like the look of painted fabric with a semi gloss to it. i dont want the super shiny look of monokote or ultrakote for this plane. it is a new-age plane designed to look like a barnstormer

so rustolium is a good paint for this fabric?
Yes but it is pretty glossy. I also don't like C-21 but have used it. I don't have any ST in black but I do have a little green and yellow left if you want me to send you some scrap to test with. If I over lap the green with the yellow you can see the dark color through the light. I too have used Ultracote to stripe and trim ST with and it works very well.
Gene
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are using Klass Kote, I believe you can get flat as well as gloss hardner if you do not like a glossy finish. I my book, Klass Kote is the ultimate finish as it is very durable and flexible so that you do not get any problems with unsupported fabric areas. Plus it brushes on well without leaving brush marks if you do not want to spray paint.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Rodney

If you are using Klass Kote, I believe you can get flat as well as gloss hardner if you do not like a glossy finish. I my book, Klass Kote is the ultimate finish as it is very durable and flexible so that you do not get any problems with unsupported fabric areas. Plus it brushes on well without leaving brush marks if you do not want to spray paint.
Rodney, I'm a number one fan of the Klass Kote. Love the stuff, bullet proof and easy to work with. You can get the matt for it. On a gasser it isn't needed though, you can use water based house paint with a clear poly over the top for the gloss. My only problem with the KK is the price so I only use it on special planes that are sheeted and glassed. I think KK is the best paint for models on the market. I just wish it was cheaper to use.