Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Piper Cub .60 with a gas engine???

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Piper Cub .60 with a gas engine???

Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
tibadoe
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Piper Cub .60 with a gas engine???

I have a Great Planes .60 size cub kit that I will be building in the near future. I was wanting to use a gas engine instead of the 2 & 4 cycles. I know it's overkill but I like gas engines. Don't want to go 1/4 scale, want to stay more around the 1/5 scale. Any suggestions on what engine would be a good one?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: GP Piper Cub .60 with a gas engine???

maybe a 15cc eng like the one that just sold in the market place
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=719869

you will have to look at your planes and measure from the firwall to the front opening of the cowl. to make sure its not to long.
if it is your best bet with that size cub is a four stroke 70 or 90. a 70 would be plenty. to much engine and you would tear the plane apart in not time. remember its a scale type plane. also the front of the firewall and behind it would have to be renforced. with some aircrat ply. it might be to much truble.. but 15cc is the bigest i would go that would fly a 1/4 scal cub no problem.

Hopefully someone has done it already here and could help you better

try youtube on 15cc gas rc and see what the have them in
Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,
My father-in-law had a GP 81" ARF cub with a .71 OS 4 stroke in it. We were beginners at the time. We had three different club members try to take the cub off. Out of 4 take offs only one was sucessfull, and that one was really ugly. Most simply did a wing over into the runway. Finally after we has repaired it three times one of the best pilots took it off with no problems at all. All he said was that with a big engine on a Cub you needed to fly it off the runway not to horse it off as soon as the tail came up. I flew it after that with no problems. I just waited while it gathered speed and gradually the tail would rise - leave it on the ground another 50 feet or so and do a shallow realistic take off. These were very pretty to see. So why am I replying to you.

Simple. If you put a big motor in a cub use some throttle control and wait a little on takeoff until after the tail rises or it will bite you.
John
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would be o.k. with a small gas, you might have to go with an extend four stroke cowl or set the fire wall back.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

found the perfect gas engine for you. this oneshould fit no problem.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/JBA%2015...s%20Engine.htm