Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

so that would give you the chance to set it up the way you like it. be careful with the fuel tank Height. if it is too high it could siphon and go rich all the time.

with four strokes the sweet spot it to get the middle of the tank in line or slightly lower than the height of the needle valve, or centerline of the carb.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

J.k.r your build is looking good
Ed
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 AM
jkr_1100

Ed sorry to mislead you. this plane is done an flys great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41170.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1819616  
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100

Leroy Gardner #53

I think you will have a riot with a Tiger 60 with a DLE 20 on it. makes me want to build another.

I will post some build pics in a minute for you.
Well what's the hold up, they are going for $139 at Tower, I don't think that is out of line for this size plane. I just examined the kit a little more closely, wood quality is good and lazer cut parts just fall out. Dont think much of the hardware kit, looks like 40 size stuff so will up grade most of it and won't need any of the gear parts. I have most of the wood I'll need for the changes I have in mind. I read this whole thread twice as well as another plus some sport plane builds to use for direction I'm going with the Tiger.

DLE20 should be here in a couple more days, got it from www.valleyviewrc.com comes with mount, engine kill, switch and charge jack for $249 and free freight, nice little package I think. I can't do much without it as I need to see how much frontal changes I will do to accomodate it and larger fuel tank, also ignition and another battery.

I'm thinking 2 piece wing and joiner tube as done on larger sport and IMAC planes and expansion of vertical stab. for better knife edge control. Also like the idea of a removable upper cockpit and deck section to access servos and reciever and such. I'm going to have fun building this baby.
May not get started on the actual build till after Thanksgiving but will be gathering supplies in the mean time. Leroy PS, how do I get my number and signature to show, thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I also own a Tiger 2 40 size ARF with a Magnum XLS 46. It flies well with it, but I am wondering what your thoughts are on putting a Magnum 91 4 stroke. I read that one of you tore the firewall out of an ARF with a Saito 125, so I am wondering if it will be wise to put the Magnum 91 4 stroke. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: Warbird40

I also own a Tiger 2 40 size ARF with a Magnum XLS 46. It flies well with it, but I am wondering what your thoughts are on putting a Magnum 91 4 stroke. I read that one of you tore the firewall out of an ARF with a Saito 125, so I am wondering if it will be wise to put the Magnum 91 4 stroke. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hey warbird40, my personal opinion is it's like me putting the DLE20 in a 60 size. Fire wall may need beefed up a little and reballance. Problem with ARF's is you dont really know how well constructed they are or what kind of glue is used and the air frames ability to handle it in general.
I got a feeling that it has been done several times with no problem. It pay's to go through these two threads and see what others have done with their 40 size planes

Good luck with it and have fun.

Leroy
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Leroy Gardner

"Hot dog", DLE20 just showed up, that kinda got the blood moving. Plans for Tiger are rolled up trying to straighten them out. Gota get the shop in order now, starting to itch a little. How many others have one of these to build or on the table. Would be more fun if 2 or3 of us were doing it togetherYeah!.

Tiger Club guy # 53

Leroy
Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I plan on starting mine on Black FridayI I finished up my Ace 4-40 with a Saito 56. You can see it on my models, I am doing a Tiger 60, thinking on a 120 4 stroke, Going to clip the wings, mod the elevator and rudder, Tail Dragger, that about it.

ED
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

Leroy Gardner #53

I think you will have a riot with a Tiger 60 with a DLE 20 on it. makes me want to build another.

I will post some build pics in a minute for you.
Well what's the hold up, they are going for $139 at Tower, I don't think that is out of line for this size plane. I just examined the kit a little more closely, wood quality is good and lazer cut parts just fall out. Dont think much of the hardware kit, looks like 40 size stuff so will up grade most of it and won't need any of the gear parts. I have most of the wood I'll need for the changes I have in mind. I read this whole thread twice as well as another plus some sport plane builds to use for direction I'm going with the Tiger.

DLE20 should be here in a couple more days, got it from www.valleyviewrc.com comes with mount, engine kill, switch and charge jack for $249 and free freight, nice little package I think. I can't do much without it as I need to see how much frontal changes I will do to accomodate it and larger fuel tank, also ignition and another battery.

I'm thinking 2 piece wing and joiner tube as done on larger sport and IMAC planes and expansion of vertical stab. for better knife edge control. Also like the idea of a removable upper cockpit and deck section to access servos and reciever and such. I'm going to have fun building this baby.
May not get started on the actual build till after Thanksgiving but will be gathering supplies in the mean time. Leroy PS, how do I get my number and signature to show, thanks

please be careful the section of the fuse

the fuse is know to be weak at the front and rear of the wing saddle. this is even more weak with the ARF. so if you remove the top of the fuse be sure to add back some structure to make up for this.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: Warbird40

Thanks

I think you should do it right away. the amount of fun i have with the Saito 125 in the Tiger 2 ARF is tremendous.

Perhaps the .91 would be the perfect size to have tremendous power and light weight. to balance the 1.25 on the Tiger2 i added 1/2 oz of lead at the rear of the H. STab.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

I plan on starting mine on Black FridayI I finished up my Ace 4-40 with a Saito 56. You can see it on my models, I am doing a Tiger 60, thinking on a 120 4 stroke, Going to clip the wings, mod the elevator and rudder, Tail Dragger, that about it.

ED

I don't know if Leroy can wait. I do hope to see lots of pictures. I regret not taking more pictures step by step.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Leroy Gardner

ED

I don't know if Leroy can wait. I do hope to see lots of pictures. I regret not taking more pictures step by step.
Hey jkr #1, mind if I call you that. Do you or doI do some that puts our name and # on our posts ?

"Boy you are right about weeknesses in the body", I saw that right off when I seen the plans, then I seen the actual fuse. pannels. I have a 12'X60" 1/8" ply pannel already so we'll take care of that right off. Any way there are going to be some other changes in the fuse. I want to invert the engine and raise it up for more ground clearance for prop. I'll post what I'm doing as soon as I start doing it, may intrest some others thinking of useing the DLE20.

When is black friday, day after Thanksgiving is'nt it ? I will be working on the plans, my changes will be in red and I hope they will show well so you all can see what I'm doing. I also am going with outboard ailerons so will have wing work to do also. I said this was going to be a bashed fun build for me but it will not change the profile much at all.

Stay tuned, more to come Leroy # 53
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ED

Hey jkr #1, mind if I call you that. Do you or doI do some that puts our name and # on our posts ?

''Boy you are right about weeknesses in the body'', I saw that right off when I seen the plans, then I seen the actual fuse. pannels. I have a 12'X60'' 1/8'' ply pannel already so we'll take care of that right off. Any way there are going to be some other changes in the fuse. I want to invert the engine and raise it up for more ground clearance for prop. I'll post what I'm doing as soon as I start doing it, may intrest some others thinking of useing the DLE20.

When is black friday, day after Thanksgiving is'nt it ? I will be working on the plans, my changes will be in red and I hope they will show well so you all can see what I'm doing. I also am going with outboard ailerons so will have wing work to do also. I said this was going to be a bashed fun build for me but it will not change the profile much at all.

Leroy.. What size prop will you put on the DLE20? Ground clearance might be a problem, but with that power you won't be spending much time on the runway! Any snow in the hills above CDA yet?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about 210 miles south of the 45th parallel I saw some snow up on the roof but none on the ground
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: thailazer

ED

''Boy you are right about weeknesses in the body'', I saw that right off when I seen the plans, then I seen the actual fuse. pannels. I have a 12'X60'' 1/8'' ply pannel already so we'll take care of that right off. Any way there are going to be some other changes in the fuse. I want to invert the engine and raise it up for more ground clearance for prop. I'll post what I'm doing as soon as I start doing it, may intrest some others thinking of useing the DLE20.

Leroy.. What size prop will you put on the DLE20? Ground clearance might be a problem, but with that power you won't be spending much time on the runway! Any snow in the hills above CDA yet?
Toivo is that you ? you been here all along and I did'nt know it, if so I owe you an e-mail. Answer to your question, no more than 15" thats why the engine is getting raised some, then I can figure the gear height. I'm just getting started on the lay out and yes we had around 5" of snow but most of it was gone this morning. Have a feeling I may need to put skis on something for this winter, then again my hands don't care much for the cold so we'll see.

Well you know where to find me, later, Leroy Tiger #53
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
jkr_1100

ok to set your signature line (Tiger club #53) click on "my account" at the very top of your screen" then click on "forum settings" and fill out your signature there.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Leroy Gardner

Thank you jkr_1100

Question for experienced builders only:

The strip ailerons on the Tiger 60 have approx. total of 45 sq. in. area, I'm moving them out board and the figured new size would be 3" wide and 15" long to have the same area as the strip. QUESTION, can the width be reduced and how much, I do not want to alter the performance in what I'm doing. I do not know what the difference of air flow is across the whole wing half verses the outer 17 inches and am I going about it in the right way. I know some of you have done this.

Don't worry about the required work involved, I can handle it with no problem. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
thailazer

Thank you jkr_1100

Question for experienced builders only:

The strip ailerons on the Tiger 60 have approx. total of 45 sq. in. area, I'm moving them out board and the figured new size would be 3'' wide and 15'' long to have the same area as the strip. QUESTION, can the width be reduced and how much, I do not want to alter the performance in what I'm doing. I do not know what the difference of air flow is across the whole wing half verses the outer 17 inches and am I going about it in the right way. I know some of you have done this.

Don't worry about the required work involved, I can handle it with no problem. Thank you.
I had a model similar to the Tiger a few years back and modified it for flaps/speedbrake by simply cutting about 30 percent of the strip aileron away and using two servos. I noticed no change in roll performance after that change. The reason is that the inboard section of the aileron does not have much of a moment arm to work with. At the wing tip it has good leverage. Essentially, the effectiveness of the aileron probably goes from 5% at the wing root to 100% effectiveness at the tip. Cutting away a few inches at the root will not hurt the roll performance much at all. I don't think you need to maintain the same exact area, but a bit more chord would likely help roll rate. Hope that makes sense! (And yes, that is me!)
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Leroy Gardner

Hi Toivo, will be good to have you here, judging from what I found you are a very experienced RC man. Thanks for the assurance in what I'm doing, avionics is not one of my strong points. I run on logic and commen sence but that does'nt always work in some cases. Are you building this Tiger also or just along for the ride, I hope this thread gets active pretty soon, should be fun.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 AM
thailazer

Leroy... Your Tiger with the DLE20 will be an interesting build so I hope you can upload some photos. If you go back a few pages on this thread you can see my Tiger 2 with a 35AX. Haven't flown it for about six months as the runway is not good enough here for it yet. Hoping to get it ship shape by the new year. Here's a video I did for some friends in Scandinavia that were flying off ice two years ago. Just had to rub it in!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEa2ZoGoyUQ&list=UUrZ55tPOXT60Xwkqe53ZSwA&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

This is such a great hobby. We all over the world love it and help one another out through rcu! I have met folks from all over at flyins. I have enjoyed that about the hobby the most and have many new freinds because of it. The Tiger I am building now is getting retracts I will post pictures as I can.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Leroy... Your Tiger with the DLE20 will be an interesting build so I hope you can upload some photos. If you go back a few pages on this thread you can see my Tiger 2 with a 35AX. Haven't flown it for about six months as the runway is not good enough here for it yet. Hoping to get it ship shape by the new year. Here's a video I did for some friends in Scandinavia that were flying off ice two years ago. Just had to rub it in!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEa2ZoGoyUQ&list=UUrZ55tPOXT60Xwkqe53ZSwA&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]
A fun very well done video and I enjoyed it alot. I hope to fly my Tiger as good, it looks like a blast to fly. I think I saw your other video but I'll go back and watch it again. Wish I could do something like that, Your a man of many talents and good for RC no matter where your at.

"Ok, I think ya got us beat on the snow, nothing like living in a igloo come winter".

I'll be doing posting on the build and I'll try to keep it intresting Toivo.

reguards,
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi guys
does anyone have plans on there pc or a pdf file that they can e-mail me for the goldberg 60 size tiger ,copy maxs said that my plans are not good enough to run though there copyer ,thanks rye e-mail [email protected]
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: rye

hi guys
does anyone have plans on there pc or a pdf file that they can e-mail me for the goldberg 60 size tiger ,copy maxs said that my plans are not good enough to run though there copyer ,thanks rye e-mail [email protected]
what did they say made them "not good enough" tears and rips or glue drips? perhaps a few minutes with some scotch tape would be your best bet.
this would require a special large format scanner right?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Leroy Gardner

Those plans have copyright protection and no one will copy them, at least their not suppose to. I tried that once at Kinkos and they said they could'nt do it for stated reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.