Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Do I need this stuff?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Do I need this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Do I need this stuff?

Last week I just maidened my latest build, I was off 4 clicks for the aileron trim. That was a lot off for one of my planes. I'm not saying you don't need to do everything as accurately as you can, just that you need not buy a lot of items to do it. In my old shop I didn't use a CG machine on my bigger planes, no need, my shop was big enough to set up a pulley and plumb bob so I could hang my planes to get the correct CG. By making my own degree meters I know exactly how many degrees my controls are set, they are all even. My head still swells up when I do a maiden that requires no trim or control set up changes.
I just feel there is no reason to spend money on something when I can make it myself for free and have something even better then is being sold.
I agree with Giant Scale, I'm just not going to run out and buy a tool when I can make it. Making my own tools is also a hobby just like modeling.
Like OSG, put your money into things like glue and epoxy, you don't need to buy plastic tools, make them yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basic, old school works just as well as gadgets. I'm a tech geek, but you may find a lot of that stuff stays in the drawer. The one gadget I find handy is a Robart incidence meter, but still not a must-have item. When measuring CG, I put some trim tape (or a magic marker) on the manufacturer's recommended CG, then have a ready reference during the final build phase. 

We had a member show up with an Aeroworks 1/4-scale Extra to maiden. He hadn't checked the Cg, so I downloaded the manual on my phone and we used a tape measure to mark the spot on each wing. It was assembled, so another member and I used our Mk1-A fingertips to lift the plane. It was spot-on, which was reassuring. After all that, we had to wait an hour to maiden it. Seems he forgot to fully charge the battery lol. 
Good luck, have fun and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

...thats what you get when you ask for people's opinions.
I agree with most of them - the CG is something you need to check once your plane is about ready to fly. It can be done easily without any tools.
For my bigger planes I have build my own CG machine, the smaller ones still get balanced on the finger tips.

So for your first plane you'll be fine without these, the deflection can be measured with a ruler.

For the glue - I build my kits with regular Gorilla Glue or Elmer's carpenter glue. Works great, even on the big gassers.
When you need more strength - on the firewall. landing gear and wing brackets - use epoxy and fiberglass.

I use very little CA, can't stand the smell and it's hard to get it off of your hands.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
mniesen89

How does one go about correcting the CG of an aircraft?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Buckmeister

Findsomeone (a futurebuddy possibly) who is pretty good at flying and has a big smile after a flight.tHERE WILL BE A LOT OVE THESE GUYS
nEXT, ASK IF HE BUILDS KITS. iF HE SAYS YES, ASK IF HE WOULD LOOK OVER THE PROGRESS YOU MAKE ON YOUR FIRST KIT BUILD.
Assuming the person actually buils and flys, he will probably say yes.

There aresome tools that are helpful, but a buildre buddy willprobablyshow you how to balance and set up the plane without any of the tools.

I am of the belief that balancing in a couple of fingers works great with a helpful more experienced friend. Measuring control surface throws to the manufactures plan only requires a ruler.
After flying to manufactures specs, you might want to tweak it with some input fromsome experienced flyers/builders.

Take as much time reading the instructions over and over, like you do before buying something will be more helpful than anything else you can do.
I am fortunate to have made friends with some well known competitive builderflyers, and they own almost every tool.

However, they read the blue print and plans over and over so that they understand at least a few steps ahead.

They take great pains to make sure everything is straight as and arrow and eactly the same on both sides. (Even if the blueprint doesn't exactly match the pieces.)

They dry fit and sand to perefection before glueing.
After that.

Titebond or similar yellow carpenters glue (waterproof)
, medium CA, 3
30Minute epoxyglue,
a long metal ruler (3 or 4 ft long)
, lots of pins.
wax paper to put over the plans,
a perfectly flat building borad,
Small hobby saw,
Sanding blocks with 100 grit and 180 grit paper,
hobby knife
and patience like you have with shopping for info on what to buy.
When you get moving along, take the plane to meetings or the field and let others take a look.

Everyone has an opinion, and some of thoose opinions are actually useful.

The best advise I ever had was "figure it out the best you can and glue it".
The worst that can happen is that you have to sand or cut something away and fix it or add another layer of balsa to fill the gap wher you messed up.

The tools you are looking at buying are not needed (if at all) until the plane is almost ready to fly.

Have fun, relax and ask members of a local club to take a look at your progress.
Most builders of kits are more than willing to help other kit builders.

Another person said it well when he said, build a good kit, with good motor, and a good radio and servos.
Do not skimp on the above.

The tools are just a helpful means of using the kit, motor, radio.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on here for "Vanessa." You'll find a CG rig that is at least as accurate as the one you showed and which you can make out of stuff you've probably got and can buy cheap if you don't. On small planes, balancing on your finger tips works just fine and is even cheaper. You can measure throws accurately enough for any trainer or sport model with a ruler. Measure at the widest point of the deflected surface.

As for changing the CG, the ideal way is to move things like batteries to get the balance point where you need it. If that doesn't work, you'll need to add weight (usually up front). You can buy "stick on" lead weights which don't stick all that well.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.
No.
The single most useful "gadget" I have ever purchased is the GP Slot Machine. Best twenty or so bucks I ever spent for building.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

How does one go about correcting the CG of an aircraft?
Location of servo's , battery , or adding weight[:@] if needed
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

wait till a swap meet at the local club.. lots of gadgets .. been flying a long time.. never had ethier of those items
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM
straitnickel

Way back I only used titebond on the entire plane and never had a joint failure. Today, because I can, I use epoxy and CA. I have to say for me medium CA is worth it when sheeting with balsa.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM
straitnickel

Mike,
You mind is not pulling you all over the place, the advertising is.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

1 NO
2 NO
there other ways to do this correctly with out these gagets and the ones shown aren't very good quality. there are better ones on the market when you really want them.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

it ranks right up there with the woodpecker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
pbilt024
My Feedback: (17)

The best thing about a CG machine is that you can move stuff around with the plane sitting on it and know its all in the right spot.  That is hard to do while it is sitting on your fingertips.

I have the one pictured for my smaller planes and a much larger one for my giant scale.  I wouldn't take double for either of them if I couldn't replace them.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 AM
pcasius
My Feedback: (2)

I built my first kit (a goldberg cub) with nothing but the basic glues, sanding, and cutting devices menrioned above. To me a good flat straighr stainless ruler is essential to building and setting the plane up. My plane flew great right off the table. I was even complemented by some of the veterans at the club on what a nice job I did and how well it flew.  I recently lost the plane to a radio glitch caused by a used ebay receiver that I saved $20.00 on.  (I cant resist a "bargain")  Long story short forget the gimicks and hype and use common sense. Also as mentioned above spend it where it counts.  I lost $300.00 because I saved $20.00 on a receiver.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The best thing about a CG machine is that you can move stuff around with the plane sitting on it and know its all in the right spot. That is hard to do while it is sitting on your fingertips.
That's true. But you can do the same thing with a Vanessa rig a lot cheaper than any CG machine. And you can balance any plane right side up or upside down.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM
RiverLarry

p b i l t0 24 + 1 !!!!

the CA and EPOXY and is a givin !!!

C G is nice to havewhen you work by yourself !!!

but all outherthing you will end up with the longer your in the hobby

or something that will work just as good !!!!

or a nother club member will have as you get closer to the end of your build

the big thing is JUSTHAVEFUN!!!!

And TESTFIT again and again Befor the CA

when you get close to needing the use of some of the things some one in your club will have what you need

BUT a good TX /RXis a must good servos / switch/ battery DEFF. dont skimp on these

the worst thing is to watch it come inbecause of a $5.00 switch!!!!

R/L
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

These are the kind of gadgets that you go without for a very long time, then you get one and it's " I don't know how I got along without it."

Frank
EXACTILLY ... Picked mine up at a guys sell off and it makes balancing an airplane more precise and much easier and it will (Surprizingly hold a 25 puond air plane... maybe more
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought the first item and feel it is very important.  Fingers work ok but the CG machine can tell you exactly how far out of balance you are.  I would never buy the second item but I won one as a door prize.  In over 10 years I'm still not sure it does anything useful.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 AM
motomike
My Feedback: (4)

Fingers worked fine for me until I got a model with an 80" wingspan. When I tried to balance it myself, I realized that I needed something. I jury rigged a couple drum sticks in a piece of 2x6. they did the trick, but I can see that I need to make a dedicated device. The balancer would sure be nice to have but not a required piece of equipment.

Mike
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These tools are nice to have, but as others have stated you don't need them right away, I still balance my 35-55% models by finger with the help of a buddy of course. I do personally use a deflection gauge when setting up my control surfaces, its just faster when setting up triple rates and keeping everything very accurate, but again it's not one of those things you must go out and get before you are able to go flying. I will say this, if you are into competition pattern or IMAC flying then the deflection gauge is a good tool to use for setting up your airplane otherwise spend your money someplace else.

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

1. NO
2. NO
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don's sells the deflection gauges for about $30.00. When there is nothing else going on in my shop making my gauges is more fun then cleaning the shop. I make up several types. The pendulum type takes a bit more time and requires a clothes pin. About 50 cents a pack. The little ones I make that just sit on the surface costs nothing and I always have them with me in my van. Years ago I used to make and sell them at the field. Today I just give them out as needed or requested.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
JAYKOH
My Feedback: (13)

no

Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM
mniesen89

Thanks for the advice all, if I see these at a swap meet or something then I may grab them at a discounted price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.