Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Do I need this stuff?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Do I need this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Do I need this stuff?

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

Thanks for the advice all, if I see these at a swap meet or something then I may grab them at a discounted price.
If you run into a GP hinge slot cutter grab it. It is the one tool that is really worth the money. At a swap meet I came across one of the GP stripe cutters new in the box for a couple bucks. Not a must have tool but I sure use mine with every plane I cover. The slot machine gets used a lot and sure beats hand cutting all the hinge slots.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that. Worth every penny.Rafeek
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can build a CG machine using a board, two lengths of ¼ inch hardwood dowel, and two rubber pencil erasers. Drill a row of holes spaced about a half inch apart and insert the dowels so they are spaced properly and put the erasers on top. The erasers will protect the bottom of the wings.

This is almost free and will work for a lot of 40 and 60 size models.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a another very cool use for the GP hinge slot cutter if you like to build. I posted this a few years ago for those interested.

http://www.***********.com/forums/sh...hlight=bisquit

Bob
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That's a fantastic idea, now if only I had one of those slot cutters

Karol
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Home Depot or Loews and buy a quarter inch dowel about three feet long.  Talk them into giving you a piece of 2 X 4 about a foot long (longer is okay).  Drill a series of quarter inch holes to fit the dowel.  Cut the dowel in half, round off one end of each dowel.  Use the dowels to hold up the airplane wing.  Now you have a $2 or $3 dollar balance kit.  Works for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison

Go to Home Depot or Loews and buy a quarter inch dowel about three feet long. Talk them into giving you a piece of2 X 4 about a foot long (longer is okay). Drill a series of quarter inch holes to fit the dowel. Cut the dowel in half, round off one end of each dowel. Use the dowels to hold up the airplane wing. Now you have a $2 or $3 dollar balance kit. Works for me.
The muvable scales and the large padded supports are nice, Makes fr n easier et up Unless yu putsoe sort f sppot o te 2 x 4 it is to pron to tippg over ad droping yur model or ust using 1/" dowls leavs inentsn the wing surface. Besides picked my Great Planes C.G. Machine up at a swap meet for cheep. OOPS now what happened ...Goofey RCU Word processor. OH Well!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM
GerKonig

The CG machine is great. No doubt, and it will not damage the model (like some home made dowel thinghy).

I never had one until at a local auction I picked mine up for close to nothing. It works great. Much, much more precise than my prior method (fingertipping).

The problem is that most of my models are a bit too big to use it...

Gerry
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

The CG machine is great. No doubt, and it will not damage the model (like some home made dowel thinghy).

I never had one until at a local auction I picked mine up for close to nothing. It works great. Much, much more precise than my prior method (fingertipping).

The problem is that most of my models are a bit too big to use it...

Gerry
I've used mine with no problem with a 22+ pound TF TarHeel Hall P-47 but yes they are precise.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

There is a another very cool use for the GP hinge slot cutter if you like to build. I posted this a few years ago for those interested.

Bob
This is perhaps one of the most useful tools I have seen made. Where can a person buy the round laser cut tabs?? having several hundered of them in 1/32 or even 1/16 would be great!! Sure beats the heck out of gluing in a bunch of gussets and a bunch stronger!!
Gene
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bob
This is perhaps one of the most useful tools I have seen made. Where can a person buy the round laser cut tabs?? having several hundered of them in 1/32 or even 1/16 would be great!! Sure beats the heck out of gluing in a bunch of gussets and a bunch stronger!!
Gene
Hey Gene,

See if there is anyone in your area that does laser cutting, I found a guy here with a small laser cutter that does art work and I had him do exactly what you suggested, he cut me a couple hundred of them and I still have a bunch.

Bob