Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

ORIGINAL: skylark-flier

Gary, I wish to join everyone here in passing on my deepest condolences for your loss. You go and take care of business - we'll be here, holding down the fort.

Dave
+1 From me and thank you very much for Kadet Brotherhood Number 96.

Sincerely,

Richard/Kadet Brotherhood #96/Club Saito #635
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary thank you for starting a thread for the best trainer ever designed!

Your family will be in our prayers.

Please add me to the list

Tom Solinski, teaching with Kadets every year since 1995
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

GaryHarris. Number 1.
soarrich. Number 2.
N1EDM. Number 3.
Live Wire. Number 4.
5skyhawk172. Number 5.
zippome. Number 6.
shepard62 . Number 7.
GraemeEllis . Number 8.
archie05 . Number 9.
tomgreen. Number 10.
n2ryd. Number 11.
race61. Number 12.
Slavko. Number 13.
lkruse. Number 14.
flyingagin. Number 15.
JPNYGAARD. Number 16.
foodstick. Number 17.
ovationdave. Number 18.
joebahl. Number 19.
WI53072. Number 20.
huck1199. Number 21.
Top_Gunn. Number 22.
Nergall. NUmber 23.
acdii. Number 24.
hutchis. Number 25.
ddewey. Number 26.
dhal22. Number 27.
tom_sandiego. Number 28.
chuckaluck. Number 29.
Greg Davis. Number 30.
CanDo. Number 31.
gva1956. Number 32.
metaldriver. Number 33.
Bladejunkie. Number 34.
New222. Number 35.
cubflyman . Number 36.
dasquirrelisme. Number 37.
Planejaw. Number 38.
usc1990. Number 39.
cjet. Number 40.
Murphey. Number 41.
Sandyt. Number 42.
planedriver_2. Number 43.
PT19. Number 44.
TimHendrix. Number 45.
jessiej. Number 46.
Mr-Punk. Number 47.
rccrasher65. Number 48.
FMAY. Number 49.
Hrannar. Number 50
Razor44. NUmber 51.
Ken Kehlet. Number 52.
oldfartpilot. Number 53.
Soaring Steve. Number 54.
freefall2907. Number 55.
fix-n-fly. Number 56.
SigMan. Number 57.
eroc144. Number 58.
nextofkin. Number 59.
ALT. Number 60.
jstyle13. Number 61.
WYDAH. Number 62.
stupidscreenname. Number 63.
coxco. Number 64.
TunnelBill. Number 65.
mike109 . Number 66.
beevo. Number 67.
Lowvoltage. Number 68.
skylark-flier. Number 69.
hugh durden. Number 70.
Cloud Cruiser. Number 71.
SIGPlanes. Number 72.
rexperk. Number 73.
M. Boesen. Number 74.
whatwheel. Number 75.
hugh durden. Number 76.
paulhold. Number 77.
groundstrike. Number 78.
adreliable661. Number 79.
earlwb. Number 80.
Unclebuck21228. Number 81.
malitape. Number 82.
Dave Holmes. Number 83.
Carlos G. Number 84.
kingranch. Number 85.
Red Kadet. Number 86.
dirtrod. Number 87.
t4. Number 88.
FlyerInOKC. Number 89.
DELTAFLY. Number 90.
sharpe917. Number 91.
jollyroger. Number 92.
Cliffc. Number 93.
Cubkadet Number 94
captinjohn Number 95
spaceworm Number 96
EvanB Number 97
Major Tomski 98
Jim Branaum 99
WLM189 100
If I have missed any one let me know!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
WLM189

Gary may the power of prayer be with you and yourfamily.

Wayne
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
rexperk
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Gary

I'm with everyone else on the site, I will be praying for you and your family also.  I know we all wish you and yours all the comfort and blessings you can receive at this time.

May God bless you with the strength you need

Rex

Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would like to thank you Live Wire for takeing on the membership duty

Ken
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Live Wire

This is only until Gary can take his place back where he belongs. Hey I am just one that loves the hobby
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM
WLM189

+1 on the list please.....my new Kadet senior will be in tomorrow evening. Decide to get another after the wing of a hand-me-down reached it's expration date by loosing a wing in mid flight...... Great flying plane.

Question, electric or Evolution 10cc gas?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

awesome

Ken
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
rexperk

I built mine electric and I love it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Live Wire

Let see a lot of Pictures, Have a great build and a lot of flying time.
OH I forgot, You will get over the stick fever
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM
stupidscreenname

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WLM189

+1 on the list please.....my new Kadet senior will be in tomorrow evening. Decide to get another after the wing of a hand-me-down reached it's expration date by loosing a wing in mid flight...... Great flying plane.

Question, electric or Evolution 10cc gas?
ELECTRIC!!!! lol.... not to take away from the fuel guys, but here's why I like electric better:

1. quieter
2. cleaner and you can work on it in your house
3. no smell (unless you like the smell, lol)
4. inexpensive power source for 100+ flights on one battery compared to fuel costs.
5. inexpensive power system (motor/ESC can cost as little as 50$, and no more than 100$ necessary for 12-14lbs of thrust even!)
6. electric is more powerful in a direct comparison for size, weight, cost, etc...
7. no vibration
8. no firewall necessary
9. no need to wipe your plane
10. you can fly on fields where fuel may be restricted due to excessive noise and fuel drips killing the grass
11. INSTANT throttle response (no comparison on performance here)
12. you can cut the throttle completely and resume throttle at any time, unlike a fuel system

Fuel systems are great, and there's alot of nostalgia with them, but there's really no comparison to the current electric power systems; electric is cheaper and much higher performing, with no real trade-offs. Fuel systems have a "feeling" for many people that have used them for years; and the smell is a nice comfort, lol, and that's fun, too; but from a practical standpoint, it's no question: electric.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 AM
nextofkin
My Feedback: (8)

Gary:
Sorry for your loss, just stay strong he has a plan for all of us in the end.
nextofkin
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM
CanDo

Gary, sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there, brother.
WLM189, a friend has a gas engine on his Sr and he loves it, I have an electric powered Seniorita (I love it!), and I'm presently building a glow (OS 70 Surpass) Sr. The reason I'm going glow powered now is because I live in a high fire hazard area; one local model field has been closed because of a LiPo battery fire and I just don't want to be the reason for another fire. I also like the sound of a 4 stroke motor. I guess the only solution is to build more than one Kadet! BTW, I also use my Seniorita to catch thermals with the red tail hawks! No matter how you slice it, Kadets are cool!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
WLM189

Thanks for all your inputs. I fly gas in all my planes, with the exception of my 60" stick (4-stroke nitro). Tuff decision because I love the sound of a combustion engine but also can see the advantage and the ease of electric.

If you don't mind me asking, stupiescreenname, what is your electric set up?

Wayne
Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 AM
stupidscreenname

Thanks for all your inputs. I fly gas in all my planes, with the exception of my 60" stick (4-stroke nitro). Tuff decision because I love the sound of a combustion engine but also can see the advantage and the ease of electric.

Wayne
I submitted my build description on this forum if you'd like to check that out. It's post#205. I showed my determined setup along with all the performance measurements as well, so skim through it and you'll see my perspective on the kadet, lol.

There are many options for electric, depends what type of flight performance you're after. Let me know if you need help designing a power system for your kadet. This is my first kadet, and even though I mainly fly 3D, I think I may get another. There's something about the kadet that's just simple fun. Talking to some other people on here has also inspired me to grab one of those giant SIG Rascal 110s... haha. That thing is a beast.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: stupidscreenname

I submitted my build description on this forum if you'd like to check that out. It's post#205. I showed my determined setup along with all the performance measurements as well, so skim through it and you'll see my perspective on the kadet, lol.

There are many options for electric, depends what type of flight performance you're after. Let me know if you need help designing a power system for your kadet. This is my first kadet, and even though I mainly fly 3D, I think I may get another. There's something about the kadet that's just simple fun. Talking to some other people on here has also inspired me to grab one of those giant SIG Rascal 110s... haha. That thing is a beast.

stupidscreenname,

I very exceptionally posted in this thread as I am not a member of the Kadet group.
I just wish to inform you that I just went to post #205 and had an enjoyable time paying attention to your excellent presentation.

I see some similarity to some of your ideas. An example of that was to keep the facility of elastics wing mounts with the dowels. I had done the same on my Spectra while actually installing the wings with hooks under the dowels and screws.

Another thing I noticed is in the video when you are using increased power for steep turns. The signs of a good pilot that understands the forces on the airplane in flight.

Best wishes to you for an enjoyable Kadet model.

Zor

Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 AM
stupidscreenname

ORIGINAL: Zor

stupidscreenname,

I very exceptionally posted in this thread as I am not a member of the Kadet group.
I just wish to inform you that I just went to post #205 and had an enjoyable time paying attention to your excellent presentation.

I see some similarity to some of your ideas. An example of that was to keep the facility of elastics wing mounts with the dowels. I had done the same on my Spectra while actually installing the wings with hooks under the dowels and screws.

Another thing I noticed is in the video when you are using increased power for steep turns. The signs of a good pilot that understands the forces on the airplane in flight.

Zor

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it; I made alot of mistakes in the build process, I can tell you that, lol. I actually work on real planes for a living as an engineer. Aviation is a huge part of my life, so it's fun to play around with these RC planes.

It's funny, people think that fullsized aircraft pilots don't fly RC because they fly "the real thing"... but all of my friends that fly for the military and privately also fly RC planes as well, haha. They're totally different things, and one does not fly RC because they can't fly 1:1 planes, haha.

They fly ANYTHING because they love flying.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
GaryHarris

Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

stupidscreenname,

Zor

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it; I made alot of mistakes in the build process, I can tell you that, lol. I actually work on real planes for a living as an engineer. Aviation is a huge part of my life, so it's fun to play around with these RC planes.

It's funny, people think that fullsized aircraft pilots don't fly RC because they fly ''the real thing''... but all of my friends that fly for the military and privately also fly RC planes as well, haha. They're totally different things, and one does not fly RC because they can't fly 1:1 planes, haha.

They fly ANYTHING because they love flying.

And R/C has one other advantage, you can have a larger number of airplanes in your hanger!

You can also have about any airplane too no matter how rare!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM
spaceworm

[/quote]

And R/C has one other advantage, you can have a larger number of airplanes in your hanger!

You can also have about any airplane too no matter how rare!
[/quote]

And, they are MUCH easier to hide from SWMBO than FS planes[
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Live Wire

Thanks for all your inputs. I fly gas in all my planes, with the exception of my 60'' stick (4-stroke nitro). Tuff decision because I love the sound of a combustion engine but also can see the advantage and the ease of electric.

Wayne

Zor
I tell you What I consider a Brother is not that you have what every one else has , but what you can contribute two the group. As long as it is constructive and can help in this hobby is what a Brother is. Not saying that anyone can bring any other subject in and try to hijack a thread. As long as a person stays on topic and contributes to Kadet Brotherhood. Ask and see who will open the door and offer a hand.
Larry K
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM
rexperk

Thank you for sharing, I really am impressed. I fly electric, and the more I use it the more I find out how little I know. I for one thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Zor
Banned

Zor

I tell you What I consider a Brother is not that you have what every one else has , but what you can contribute two the group. As long as it is constructive and can help in this hobby is what a Brother is. Not saying that anyone can bring any other subject in and try to hijack a thread. As long as a person stays on topic and contributes to Kadet Brotherhood. Ask and see who will open the door and offer a hand.

Larry K
Live Wire,

Agreed Larry, being a brother is a matter of attitude and not possession.

Thanks for your good understanding.

Confirming having read your post; part of addressed to me.

Zor
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
nextofkin
My Feedback: (8)

This is how I cut the dihedral out of the wing of an ARF, (I do not take responsibility for anyone that tries this so you go at it on your own)
First I made a pattern of the center of wing so I could put two ¼” dowels in it with the spar joiner.
Next I glued 3/32” hard balsa to the ends to be cut.

Then I made a jig so I could hold both sides of wing at same angle, the original dihedral was 2” per side for a total of 4”, I will change it to ½” per side for a total of 1”. I will be picking up off of the leading edge of both wings half’s.

jig all ready set at ½” dihedral

How much that needs to be removed from bottom of wing 1/16” I glued some 3/32” hard balsa to center of both wings.
What I used to start with but change to something better.
This worked out a lot better and was quicker to.
Right wing fasten to jig for motorize sander.
After sanding with motorize sander.
I am not finished so when I do more I will post I also tried to put in order but I have a hard time putting photos on RC Universe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57890.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1880984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83999.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1880985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75280.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1880986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88153.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1880987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72302.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1880988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59908.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1880989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43344.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1880990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po49623.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1880991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf69403.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1880992  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.