Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 AM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually 182 flaps ARE fowler flaps. Having lots of hours in the real Skylane, I can tell you that they are indeed fowler. The flaps extend back then down, not simply hinged 90 degrees like conventional flaps.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back on this fowler subject ?

Originally Posted by speed20

Actually 182 flaps ARE fowler flaps.

Having lots of hours in the real Skylane, I can tell you that they are indeed fowler. The flaps extend back then down, not simply hinged 90 degrees like conventional flaps.

speed20,

You are correct that the flaps do move a bit backward as they deploy.
It is due to the method they are hinged and thus are slotted flaps.

You have your choice of words and others have theirs.

Ask yourself if the wing surface areas is increased when the 182 flaps are deployed.

You may find the proper answer.

Beyond about 40 degrees the flaps become more air brakes than the normal use of flaps.

Zor
Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

HA !!!
I was wondering last night how long it would take for them to re-hijack/derail YOUR build thread !
Not very long I guess !
Anyway, nice job on the build . You have all winter to finish it
Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

They didn't rail so much as take it on a side trip! Gee I hope I get my 182 finished this winter!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:15 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ignore the unwanted intrusion, and keep going on your find build.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by TomCrump

Ignore the unwanted intrusion, and keep going on your find build.
Again I fully agree with TomCrump.

Beside the definition of Fowler Flaps which involves an increase in wing area as well as a rotation to increase the downward deflection of the air flow. we should consider the definition of "unwanted intrusion".

For some people an unwanted intrusion is any posting that is not in full agreement with their own understanding or selection of words to refer to a specific condition.

In aviation circles there is a definite difference between 'slotted flaps' and 'fowler flaps'.

Incidentally 'fowler flaps' are nearly always also slotted but reference to 'slotted flaps' are not 'fowler flaps' as referred to by professionnals in the aviation fields.

The nomenclature in our hobby is not an important matter.
The appearance, the scale look for some hobbyists, and the flight performance that results is what really counts.

As Tom wrote "keep going on your fine build"

Zor
Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Above all what matters is that the flaps work!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:06 AM
rczippy

I hope to finish sheeting the fuse this week then time to finish the top of the wings. Before i get there i could use some input.

I would really like to make the ailerons controlled by an RDS system. I was going to get all components from http://www.irfmachineworks.com/g2rds/

Can anyone comment on if this a good idea or bad idea? Also what would you think the servo requirements would be? I think the RDS would look great since the rest of the linkages are already hidden.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Anxious to read

Originally Posted by rczippy

I hope to finish sheeting the fuse this week then time to finish the top of the wings. Before i get there i could use some input.

I would really like to make the ailerons controlled by an RDS system. I was going to get all components from http://www.irfmachineworks.com/g2rds/

Can anyone comment on if this a good idea or bad idea? Also what would you think the servo requirements would be? I think the RDS would look great since the rest of the linkages are already hidden.
It will ( would ) be very interesting to read postings ( comments ) by anyone who has used the system.

The aileron drag equalization setup, if any, would also be most interesting.

I am following this thread with great attention.

Zor
Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by rczippy

The RDS works well. Properly built, it's slop free. They're relatively easy to build/install. I made my box out of formica samples.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM
rczippy

I have been e-mailing back and for with Walt from I.R.F Machine Works. He answered a few questions for me

1.) Its not necessary to have the pocket centered laterally in the Aileron. I explained that the plans servo hatches (and where they are currently built) are on the inside portion of the aileron. I was worried that having the pocket at that location would not be good.
2.) I didn't know what servo to choose. He said that the same torque or less is needed for the RDS system compared to traditional linkages.
3.) He recommended the 30 degree bend HD wipers. He said they could be installed either perpendicular to the aileron or at a 30 degree angle. I know I can do a perpendicular installation but need to check if cutting through ribs would be needed for a 30 degree install.

He was very quick in his replies and I will be ordering the components shortly
Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got a chance to work on my TF 182 for the first time in 6 months this weekend. I extended the turtleback over the instrument panel I had cut too short even after measuring 3 times. And I finally shaped the leading edge of my flaps so I can move ahead on the wing center section modifications.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I got a chance to work on my TF 182 for the first time in 6 months this weekend. I extended the turtleback over the instrument panel I had cut too short even after measuring 3 times. And I finally shaped the leading edge of my flaps so I can move ahead on the wing center section modifications.
It didn't happen if there are no pics.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM
FlyerInOKC

I would say something tacky about your picture comment if I wasn't guilty of doing the same to you! So... If you look closely in the first picture you can see where I filled the seam and in the second picture you can see the shape I sanded and planed down for the leading edge of the flap. It took me a minute to realize the drill guide made a great pattern to get the shap right. I plan on forming fiberglass around the flap leading edge to make a liner for the wing where the flap mounts. Much like a certain forum does with carbon fiber.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100624.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2041547   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100625.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2041548  
Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
TomCrump

Nice work !

I like the shape of the flaps.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks! It was surprising easy. I also carved the Hoerner wing tips shown on the plan they were easier than I expected too. They look so much better than regular wingtips. I think a lot of shaping balsa is just a matter of picking the right density of wood and jumping in with both feet and not over thinking it or worrying about the outcome. A lot of guys psych themselves out on carving. I will admit I did cut an extra set of wingtip blanks in case I screwed them up.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM
TomCrump

I like to shape wood. I like to sand, too.

Don't say it. I already know.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I like to shape wood. I like to sand, too.

Don't say it. I already know.
OK I won't, but I will admit there is a certain amount of satisfaction you get from shaping wood, especially if its something you have shaped before!

Next up for me, hopefully this weekend, is finishing the center wing section modification followed by some blending on the fin in front of the vertical stab and installing the wing bolts.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 AM
rczippy

I am going to start filling and sanding the fuse this weekend. I could use some input on how to blend the sheeting with the tail cone and cowl. I have a fiberglass cowl and tail cone and i am going to glass the plane as well.

There is a small area were i will need to build up the cowl because sanding the sheeting down to the cowl would be way to much. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 AM
rczippy

I decided to try Bondo which worked out well. I was able to blend the cowl to the fuse with very little material. I am going to do the same with the tail cone then post some pictures
Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

You got more done then I did I ended up ding honey dos and babysitting. Still my grandson is a blast! He loves it when grandpa gets on the floor to play with him. I'm hoping to get him interested in RC when he gets a little older. He's only 15 months right now.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM
AJC3579

did your 20cc evo fit under the cowl without cutting?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM
AJC3579

Question on this build. I like tail draggers much better than trikes. I like how they can land on runways that are not in the best of conditions by just using some large tundra style tires. I also think it looks much more stylish. Besides real men fly tail draggers! ;-) I know they make a full scale conversion so is it feasible to think it could be done on the model? Is there a formula to determine the location of the front gear or would copying from the full scale conversion sufficient? If so, it looks to be lined up with the leading edge with about half the wheel past the leading edge of the wing. Also, would you build it so you can switch back to trike gear? I dont think the weight would be much more. At least not enough to make a difference flying. I also was looking for a gas engine that will power this bird nicely as well as fit under the cowl with minimal to no cutting? Id like it to have more power than needed but not so much that the weight of the motor starts to give it bad tendencys.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM
PilotRvD

Hi, did you end up putting the Evo in? Just starting the same project.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

My 182 project is still on hold but I did pop for the Fiberglass Specialties fiberglass cowling and tailcone as my own Christmas present. The plastic cowl and cone in the kit didn't cut it. I'm planning my winter build to finish the 182 after I complete my DR.1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.