Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig hob bipe kit build question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig hob bipe kit build question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
bill8308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig hob bipe kit build question

hey guys this is my first build things are going very well and looking good but as I look into the future of my build I have some questions. there is a plastic head rest the attaches to the fuse behind the cockpit I was wondering if most paint the head rest and attach to the fuse after the fuse is covered or if u attach the head rest and ultra cote over it, will ultra cote adhere to the abs plastic. I have look at a lot of pictures of others hogs but can not tell how they did it and they all look so good. please let me know your thoughts.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had more Sig Pigs (Hog Bipes) than I can count. On all of them I have thrown away the plastic "headrest" part and carved a new one out of balsa. I do this because first of all I just don't like dealing with thin ABS plastic parts on my planes, and second because it's easier to cover them. After I carve a new one out of balsa I simply cover it with the same covering as the rest of the plane. It doesn't take long to carve out a replacement piece from balsa and really doesn't take much more than 10-15 minutes to carve one out. You don't have to be exact on the replacement part as it's not a critical part of the plane. In fact, I've seen many Hog Bipe owners simply leave that part off of their planes.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 PM
bill8308

it does help I know its not a critical part of the plane but I think it adds a lot of style and look to the plane and I am not sure if it will look rite if I try and make a new one out of balsa but I guess u never know until I try
Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 PM
bill8308

has anyone else done anything different that came out looking good
Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bill8308
has anyone else done anything different that came out looking good

I was too lazy to make a new headrest so I covered the one that came with the kit. This is my Astro hog not the Hog bipe, I think they're both the same.
I used Econokote, but I think Ultra Cote will work the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	all-orange6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1941034   Click image for larger version

Name:	left-side-prepped7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1941035   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinstripe-side7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	132.7 KB