Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
The instruction booklet has a half-windshield graphic on page 35. Check my site, https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-rc-kits-41-60/ , kit RC48. Just download, print the page and go for it.

CORRECTION: All 3 of the last 3 pages - the entire windshield is there.
Skylark: Thank you so much, that did the trick. I've downloaded the patterns and printed all 3 pages of the windshield pattern. I really appreciate your help!
Thanks again
Gerry
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

FINALLY!!!!! At long last, I found the f.t.p. program that allows me to simply digitally transfer those instruction manuals that are too large to put in the website - and, sadly, I've actually had it on my computer for nearly 4 years and didn't remember that I had put it there.

dropbox.com works just great!!!!!! No more zip-drives, no more snail-mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Filezilla?
Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wetbird
Hello again to anyone that help me. I have missed place the windshield pattern to my Sig 1/4 scale J3 Cub that's on my plans. The plans have been cut up, so the section that has the windshield pattern on it is missing. If anyone has that section of the plans, I would be happy to pay for it, if you can mail it to me. I never throw any of my plans away until the plane is crashed and gone, but still it's missing. If anyone can help me, please let me know.
Thanks again. Gerry
Hello, wetbird. Sorry for the delay in answering you about holding the cabin side window open.
The blasted site refused to recognize my password. The reset failed. Appears to be sorted out now.

Anyway, on the full size plane, in flight, the window is held open by the wind. Since you always fly the plane with a positive angle of attack - not incidence - the wind will always hold it open.

Not being satisfied with that and wanting it to be held open while parked on the ground, I devised a simple method.

There was a spring loaded, rotating "L" shaped wire which protruded from the bottom of the wing. It came out right next to the edge of the window frame. To engage, simply pull down - about 1/4 inch - and rotate to catch the window frame. Worked perfectly.

Also, you and everyone else should be advised that all the Sig kit manuals are available on their website for free download. Just look for the model you are interested in and you will find the link on the description page. The windshield template is in the manual.

Very easy and no fiddling around with dropbox, google accounts or any of that stuff.

All the best with your build. You will finish with a great flying Cub.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM
skylark-flier

Yes, true - that works for almost any plane PRESENTLY ACTIVE on the SIG website. However, for those discontinued planes (75% of the history of what SIG has produced) the only source that I know of is what's in my site. For the ones too big for my site, my only option at present is to link through dropbox - which seems to be working just fine. At least the info/data/files is/are still available somewhere.

Who knows? Maybe, one day in the future, SIG will re-instate their "plans" pages, like they had in the old website. But until that day...
Old 09-24-2018, 10:21 AM
acdii

From what I gather talking to the new owner, Herb, that is not the direction they will be going. After the fiasco of the Rascal, they won't be spending anymore time on kit R&D, and once out of production, that's it, done. Rumor has it they lost a bunch of hard copy plans for older kits in a fire, but not sure where I heard or if true. When Mike was alive, I asked if they will be producing the Liberty Sport any time soon and his answer was flat out no. Anything new from SIG will be ARF and not kits, and as each kit sales dwindle, they too will go away. Sad state for the hobby.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Anything new from SIG will be ARF and not kits, and as each kit sales dwindle, they too will go away. Sad state for the hobby.
Sad state about the younger generations today. Unless it's something on their phone it's not of interest. They need instant gratification rather than the satisfaction of creating..
Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys it's Gerry the Wetbird again. I had to put my build on hold for a bit because its boating season so I have a lot to do with getting all that ready. But I also found a Thread in(Piper Cub J3 1/4 - SIG or BUSA) by John_M_ 02-21-2014. The thread is pertaining to adding a door & window as an afterthought. That would be me, and the door & window has already been installed. After searching the web for articles about reinforcing the door cut out the way it shows in the plans. Of course the plans doesn't show anything about adding the door & window to your build, it would have to be planed in advance before building or as an afterthought. I did some reinforcing but not sure if what I did would add strength to the structure. I don't want the wing coming off at takeoff or at anytime for that matter.
My question is: Has anyone done the reinforcement like what's in the article/website below. I haven't worked on my cub for a bit, but getting ready to start again, first have to reinforce the area where I cut the door out. Looks like I'll be using 5/32 piano wire along the top of the window and down along the side of the cabin brace.
John M wrote the thread below. I'm glad I found it, I was hoping to hear from him. Let me know what you think! ……………………………………………………………………………….

The Sig kit wasn't upgraded... the door / window mod you have seen on other sig 1/4 scale cubs was done by the builder... the door frame has to be re-enforced, preferably during the build... I'm in the process of cutting out the door on a already built 15 year old cub... its a bit more tedious doing the door after the fuselage has been built, but not impossible... I'll be posting some images on the ***Cub Brotherhood*** thread when I finish prepping all the bits an pieces... right now I have the right side fuse almost ready to glue in the re-enforcement wire, then I will move on to the left side fuse and re-enforce that side... then I'll be able to go back and cut out the door and window on the right side and then remove the 2 formers that the re-enforcement wires replace... then the cockpit will be free of any obstructions and can be fitted out with the interior.

Go to this link... Cub Man has posted instructions on how to do the door / window mod on the sig cub

http://thecubden.org/j3l4-related/op...oor-and-window
Old 09-24-2018, 05:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to get away fron the "instant gratification", take away all of the things that make that possible. I personally like the fact that some school districts are taking away smart phones when a student gets caught using it in class. To get them back, the student has to pay what amounts to an "impound fee". To me, that's the perfect place to start. The second place would be to require students to take a class that REQUIRES THEM TO HAVE TO MAKE OR REPAIR SOMETHING. This could be like the tried and true woodshop, auto shop, home economics, etc.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:16 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should probably go to the "Where have all the builders gone?" forum but, what the hey.
It's the modern culture we now live in.
Kids are being taught by their parents and their schools that a college education is mandatory and trade school is for poor people. With that mindset embedded in kids' brains, it's no wonder they don't want, or feel they should have to, work for anything, let alone create anything, like a model airplane.
Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and such is what this country needs, not computer programmers, lawyers, and financial advisors.
Okay, I'm done with my little rant.
By the way, acdii,what's the deal with Sig's Rascal "fiasco?"
Old 09-25-2018, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by born2build
This should probably go to the "Where have all the builders gone?" forum but, what the hey.
Kids are being taught by their parents and their schools that a college education is mandatory and trade school is for poor people. With that mindset embedded in kids' brains, it's no wonder they don't want, or feel they should have to, work for anything, let alone create anything, like a model airplane.
Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and such is what this country needs, not computer programmers, lawyers, and financial advisors.
Don't get him started! It boils down to this, they brought out their first new kit in decades the Rascal 168. Why a 168" airplane with a price of $899 is anyones guess. It was tail heavy, it wouldn't fly with the recommended engine, and the wings would fold up on you in flight. It appeared it was designed in CAD and rush to market without any testing. The first kits were even missing parts and is was overall a defect design at best. The guys like acddii who sent a fortune to get the kit and build discovered it was a nightmare and SIG quality was nowhere to be found!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-25-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 PM
born2build

I see.
I've built two of the 48' Rascals. I consider them to be the ultimate park flyer. But when they're blown up to these grotesque monsters, the Q-T factor is eliminated. I don't know who green-lit these behemoths, or why, but I'm afraid Sig is losing their way.
Although, I do love my 48" Rascal, it's a rather peculiar build. For example, the wing uses no trailing edge stock. Weird.
But, she is a sweet ride! And such a pretty thing.
Cheers!

Last edited by born2build; 09-25-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have a Rascal C and love the heck out of it. I think what happened was SIG saw Balsa USA and others blowing up their designs and jumped on the bandwagon without having the technical know how to pull it off. Going to an outdated all ARF mentality is going to kill them. I know several LHS that only order from SIG when they need a kit and add on other items they have a demand for to the order. Kill the kits nd suddenly there is no reason to do business with them.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-25-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have a Rascal C and love the heck out of it. I think what happened was SIG saw Balsa USA and others blowing up their designs and jumped on the bandwagon without having the technical know how to pull it off. Going to an outdated all ARF mentality is going to kill them. I know several LHS that only order from SIG when they need a kit and add on other items they have a demand for to the order. Kill the kits and suddenly there is no reason to do business with them.
And that, sadly, like so many others, will be the end of SIG.

So, how do we get them to see the light?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

Unfortunately they aren't the only ones shortsighted not to name names but their initials are Horizon Hobby.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

And that, as they say, is that. These companies are moving so quick to jump on the ARF bandwagon that they are totally forgetting the rest of the people that have kept them in business for so many years. Maybe someone needs to remind them of that little fact. Since it doesn't pay to do "one off" runs, to me it makes sense to run something like 10 kits just so they have a few in stock. Otherwise, they won't be in business for too many more years
Old 10-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't totally agree. I think the country needs all of those and then some. With Lawyers and Politicians being relegated to their proper place at the target end of the gun range.

The problem I see is kids are instilled with the idea that they're too good to perform many routine tasks. How many actually change a tire these days? Or do they wait for Daddy to call the auto club? Or wash dishes the old fashioned way? Heck, spending 3 minutes to load a dishwasher is too much for most of them.

McDonalds use to be the entry level job for teenagers. Now it's a career, demanding a so called living wage for the uneducated, middle aged and elderly who thought social security would do it for them. So now the teenagers sit in their parents basements, drinking or smoking dope and playing with their latest game console. And society pays for it!

Kids are no longer taught the basics of living. The nasty, daily, boring things necessary to make it from one day to the next. And the fault lies with the so called adults.

There are exceptions. Don't get me wrong. A good friend of mine is a retired Marine. And he raised his kid with the discipline one would expect of a Marine. His oldest just started his Freshman year at M.I.T. Wonder if there's a connection there?
Old 10-05-2018, 05:41 AM
acdii

Yep!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember being taught by example when I was a kid. "This is work get use to it, you'll be doing it your whole adult life." If I wanted something I went out and found some type of work to earn a little money. The folks didn't buy it for me everything. When I got my first car it was when you got your money saved I'll help you go look. I did the same with my boys too. When they wanted a cell phone and a car they went out and got a parttime job after school. Now one is a Project Manager for a software company, one is a Paramedic, one runs a grain elevator and studies for the ministry, and the last one is a Disabled Army Veteran that stills works. He is a gate guard for a gated community and is a Reserve Sheriff's Deputy. He'll never be able to be a full fledge deputy but he can ride shotgun and be back up to the fulltime deputy. They are all married two own their own homes and two are looking into it.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 AM
born2build

Sounds to me like, for the most part, we're all on the same page, here.
Enjoy your weekend, fellas!
Old 10-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Appowner
Don't totally agree. I think the country needs all of those and then some. With Lawyers and Politicians being relegated to their proper place at the target end of the gun range.

The problem I see is kids are instilled with the idea that they're too good to perform many routine tasks. How many actually change a tire these days? Or do they wait for Daddy to call the auto club? Or wash dishes the old fashioned way? Heck, spending 3 minutes to load a dishwasher is too much for most of them.

McDonalds use to be the entry level job for teenagers. Now it's a career, demanding a so called living wage for the uneducated, middle aged and elderly who thought social security would do it for them. So now the teenagers sit in their parents basements, drinking or smoking dope and playing with their latest game console. And society pays for it!

Kids are no longer taught the basics of living. The nasty, daily, boring things necessary to make it from one day to the next. And the fault lies with the so called adults.

There are exceptions. Don't get me wrong. A good friend of mine is a retired Marine. And he raised his kid with the discipline one would expect of a Marine. His oldest just started his Freshman year at M.I.T. Wonder if there's a connection there?
Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I remember being taught by example when I was a kid. "This is work get use to it, you'll be doing it your whole adult life." If I wanted something I went out and found some type of work to earn a little money. The folks didn't buy it for me everything. When I got my first car it was when you got your money saved I'll help you go look. I did the same with my boys too. When they wanted a cell phone and a car they went out and got a parttime job after school. Now one is a Project Manager for a software company, one is a Paramedic, one runs a grain elevator and studies for the ministry, and the last one is a Disabled Army Veteran that stills works. He is a gate guard for a gated community and is a Reserve Sheriff's Deputy. He'll never be able to be a full fledge deputy but he can ride shotgun and be back up to the fulltime deputy. They are all married two own their own homes and two are looking into it.
I'm going to chime in here as well. You all seem to be saying the same thing, just in different ways. As I see it, we really need to follow Israel's example. Everyone coming out of high school should be required to spend a three to four year tour in the military to deprogram them from their thinking that they're "entitled". For those that want to try their hand at being a leader, they can try to succeed at Annapolis, Colorado Springs or West Point. Obviously, those three are designed to weed out those that won't be able to hack it as an officer and, for those that pass, they still have a minimum of 6 years to serve. This is even before being allowed to go to college or, for those that actually pass the academies, additional college education, something not done in Israel. Since we have FIVE branches of military here in the US, any one will work to satisfy the requirements . Once those that think they are above getting their hands dirty realize they are no different than anyone else, they could become functional members of society, something we are seriously lacking from those coming out of school. I know this won't be popular with the "elite people", otherwise known as the rich and famous but, when you really look at it, they are some of the worst ones when it comes to thinking they are "entitled.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:50 PM
acdii

I am all for it, in fact I am subtly driving my son towards a stint in the Air Force so he can pursue what he feels he wants to do, aerospace engineering. My daughter though, that would be a tough one, she's a natural artist who wants to do interior design.

Another benefit of forced military service is it would weed out the gangs, and crime would drop dramatically.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Another benefit of forced military service is it would weed out the gangs, and crime would drop dramatically.
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. It's hard to operate a gang in the military but, on the other hand, those that really want to be in a gang afterward would have combat training so it could be more bloody than it already is.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I'm going to chime in here as well. You all seem to be saying the same thing, just in different ways. As I see it, we really need to follow Israel's example. Everyone coming out of high school should be required to spend a three to four year tour in the military to deprogram them from their thinking that they're "entitled". ..................
While I see and agree with you to a point. I have to ask, have you worked with our military lately?

Up until a couple of years ago I was heavily involved as a government contractor with the DoD. Prior to that I was myself Air Force for 20 years. I've been in and around the military for 43 years total. And they are not what they were 43 years ago.

Our military today is little more than a giant social experiment being conducted by the left. Did you know the military will pay for sex change operations and treatment among active duty members today? I am amazed that they still manage to get the real job done. Then there's the problem of fully 1/3 of American youth being too fat for military service.

I could go on but looking at our military today, had it been this way 45 years ago, I never would have joined.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Appowner
Banned

I don't think so. It's been well documented how some gangs have actually sent members into the military for the express purpose of learning combat tactics. In particular small unit tactics which they then take back and teach their gang members in order to better combat the authorities.

Makes it tougher for the police when the bad guys are as good or even better at urban combat. Of course, when the police are afraid to shoot for fear of starting a riot, that doesn't help either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.