Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Stratus (#RC4) - the long slow plans build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Stratus (#RC4) - the long slow plans build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Absolutely! For sure!!! This particular plane, I think, needs it to perform best.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave
I was really glad to hear that you had rebuild you ship. I wondered if you would, it can be such a bummer when you crash a favorite, I have a friend that crashed his beloved Cub and just stopped flying after that.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 PM
heggen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill, I am glad to hear you are building a Stratus.
I built my Stratus about 10 years ago and had to go and look at the wing to remember what I did regarding the center rib. I fashioned a center rib to make it right. I just wonder if that wasn't a drawing error that didn't get caught. And, the ailerons on my Stratus were increased to 1.25" chord. This airplane was designed around reed systems. Smaller chord ailerons helped dampen out the pulsing that occurred by "beeping" the toggle switches on the transmitter for gradual banking. I certainly don't miss flying reeds.
So, my Stratus was built stock except for the ailerons including the color scheme and it flys just great. I wouldn't change a thing. Retracts? I think I remember considering that for another person asking about it. I think it would be a little tight in the nose area. But that is something you would have to decide with your equipment. It would really look cool with the gear up. I am looking forward to what you decide.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Heggen!! Glad to see you!!!! I knew there was a reason I did that center section as I did - you'd already done it that way, and I followed your lead pretty closely, including the ailerons.

2nd one, which I have about half enough wood for, will have to be "to the plans" for VRCS purposes. Will probably paint it "stock" too, but who knows on that one.

Oh, yeah - brand new (NIB) OS.61SF is on the way to me from the Toledo show. A cousin found it, bought it (without telling me first) and has already shipped it. Can't wait to see the price tag (yeah, right).

Soarrich - no chance of that plane not flying again.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:32 PM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I just saw this thread on here and can't believe how cool that plane was. I have never seen one, just old box photos.
I love the old Maxey Hester stuff, Stafford, etc.
I'd love to build one of these. If anyone can get the plans and rib drawings to me I'll do one on here as well.
I'd love to hear from anyone with the file and rib drawings......

Woohoo nevermind, just downloaded them from outerzone.
I've never been a scratch builder, this will be fun over the winter

Last edited by plumberdeluxe; 08-20-2023 at 02:39 PM.