Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

worst kit youve ever built

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

worst kit youve ever built

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another P.O.S. was the Byron Pitts. I called it the flying ice chest. That really turned me off
from foam airplanes. Big or small I don't want any foam at all.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Wow - old thread. The worst kit I ever assembled was a Top Flite Nobler in the blue box. Much of the wood was bad (tapered when it shouldn't have been) right out of the box. I've had one other Top Flite kit and wood was better, but I think the kit was earlier than this Nobler.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:05 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Worst kit was the Hal DeBolt Patternmaster. The wood was ok but the construction methods were sadistic! Before starting the kit you had to construct several assembly jigs and fixtures. The stab was a little wing itself. The instructions had you glue balsa cradles onto the fixture, then mold the sheeting the cradles. The ribs were then glued onto the sheeting, etc. The wing was built full span upside down using more cradles on a building board you had to make with 4 degrees of dihedral. Insane!

I also have bad memories of the PT40 by Great Planes. Construction was fine but it needed constant fiddling: big flat bottom wing, tons of downthrust, etc. I hated flying it so much I flew it into a barbed wire fence.

My best experience to date was the Proctor Nieuport 11. There were a million parts and it for together like a Swiss watch. Very therapeutic.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree about some of the DeBolt kits. Nicely done kits but I’m not sure how his mind was wired when it came to design and construction. Some were OK though. Dang, thats a long time ago!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Anything Hobby King miss matched parts like wing roots to fuselage gaps just the general fit and finish. I know they are bargoon airframes but when putting together a run of kits you would think fit and finish would be an easy fix.

Dennis
Old 08-28-2019, 03:58 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked at those HK kits and wondered what they are like. I guess I’ll just pass 😂
Old 08-28-2019, 04:11 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One word"...................Sterling..............
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
One word"...................Sterling..............
Over the years I built a lot of Sterling kits. Many were actually quite good compared to some others available at the time. I just call them normal kits for the years they were popular.

For me, the one word for bad kits would be “Goldberg”! While I’ve built some good Goldberg kits, especially some of the later offerings, some of their 60’s and early 70’s offerings left much to be desired. Even as an eager builder in those days, a few of those kits were just trashed and declared unbuildable. Mostly horrible cutting and very bad wood. These kits encouraged me to be a scratch and plans builder.

Last edited by Truckracer; 08-28-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A funny thing about those building nightmares....they sure flew well...and light. I never had a lot of success with Comet kits (rubber powered) but you sure learned how to build!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Doog-meister

Built a Thunder Tiger (chinese) Eagle 40 kit. ply for fuselage doublers was so warped I scrapped it and re-cut new parts. Mis-matched weights for many parts - re-cut those, too. replaced the plastic wing tip pieces with balsa blocks. no instructions - just a box of parts and set of plans, which weren't too bad. cheap mounting bolts that twisted in half before they got tight enough to hold the parts in place, and wire LG so soft they spread with the softest landing. Fuel tank leaked - never could get it to seal. Tossed it for a Du-Bro tank. Surprisingly, it flew pretty well.

As a youngster in the 60's, flying CL - anything by Veco was to be avoided. Balsa the same weight as oak that split when you looked at it.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doog-meister
Built a Thunder Tiger .... Eagle 40 kit .... ply .... so warped .... re-cut new parts .... Mis-matched .... parts - re-cut .... replaced the plastic wing tip pieces with balsa blocks .... cheap mounting bolts .... wire LG so soft .... Fuel tank .... Tossed it for a Du-Bro tank. Surprisingly, it flew pretty well .... in the 60's, flying CL - anything by Veco .... Balsa the same weight as oak ....
I remember those days well, including the Comet kit balsa wood similar to Veco, it was like cutting out pieces from heavier and harder bass wood. I know what you mean though, we learned to cope with the cheap kit prices and make them work. It was worth it though because of the learning process, and learning how to take a situation and make it work for us. Today, I gather that the youth of today, not many know how to take a bad situation and turn it for good. Experience is a hard master, but a thorough one.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Doog-meister

Like gunny Highway, we learned to improvise, adapt, and overcome - it was necessary in the pursuit of the hobby. As a result, we learned a craft. Unlike today's instant gratification of the ready-built plane, there was something magical about the time and process of building what you flew.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Daniel-J

Bad cutting of wood. Wasted a lot of material and effort until I realized how to work with it. I have no experience, so it wasn't easy.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Ever build an old printed wood kit?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Doog-meister

can't really say you built those. Did seem to spend a lot of time trying to build them, though. Which is worse, die-crunched wood or trying to cut blurry former lines?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:31 PM
FlyerInOKC

And the balsa was always crap and would split when you cut the shaped pieces out!
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Yup, back in 1965 as an 11 YO I built Ed Lidgardś Sparky. It was print wood then. Ditto with Comet's P-51B. I'd use my dad's used razor blades to cut balsa. Learned to snap double blades to have a single cutting edge. Snap the end with a set of needle nose pliers to make a pointed tip for cutting tissue.

Remember that those kits did not come with decals? You had to cut them out from the plans. They weren't in color, only black print. But what the hey, Comet kits were very cheap. 30" Sparky was like $1.25 then. the P-51B was like only $1.00. The die cut smaller 16" Bellanca Jr., Porterfield 65, Curtiss Robin, Ryan SC, 12" Fokker DVII, Spad were only $0.69. (I know, in today's dollars would be $10.21, $8.17, $5.63 respectively.)

Seemed back then the tissue with those kits were black or green, basically lower quality wrapping or gift decorating tissue. I'd opt for the higher quality Eseki from the hobby shop. I learned to clear dope the tissue, it drew taut and looked nicer when doped.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-10-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Yup, back in 1965 as an 11 YO I built Ed Lidgardś Sparky. It was print wood then. Ditto with Comet's P-51B. I'd use my dad's used razor blades to cut balsa. Learned to snap double blades to have a single cutting edge. Snap the end with a set of needle nose pliers to make a pointed tip for cutting tissue.

Remember that those kits did not come with decals? You had to cut them out from the plans. They weren't in color, only black print. But what the hey, Comet kits were very cheap. 30" Sparky was like $1.25 then. the P-51B was like only $1.00. The die cut smaller 16" Bellanca Jr., Porterfield 65, Curtiss Robin, Ryan SC, 12" Fokker DVII, Spad were only $0.69. (I know, in today's dollars would be $10.21, $8.17, $5.63 respectively.)

Seemed back then the tissue with those kits were black or green, basically lower quality wrapping or gift decorating tissue. I'd opt for the higher quality Eseki from the hobby shop. I learned to clear dope the tissue, it drew taut and looked nicer when doped.
My first build was this one.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:40 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The Sig Kougar still has printed parts you have to cut out. Great building and flying plane though.

Back in the day, the kits that were the worst were the ones that had poor die cutting of really hard balsa. The ACE 4-60 bipe was the worst one I ever built. It had multi spar construction and all those little notches for the ribs just crumbled when I tried to get the ribs out of the sheets. What a mess. The wing wasn't all that stout and looked horrible after it was built and covered. This is as opposed to your typical D tube construction with partial sheeting and rib cap strips. However; that old 4-60 bipe flew fanstastic.

Carl