Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Battery placement questions.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Battery placement questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:18 PM
jimmy7432

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery placement questions.

I am building a Citabria Pro from Balsa USA. I have the servos, receiver, batteries, engine and fuel tank roughly where I want them to go and checked the balance to get an idea if anything needs to be moved and I found the plane to be very nose heavy. One thing I could do is move the ignition battery back but I am not sure if having the receiver battery and ignition system battery close to one another would be a problem or if having either or both batteries close to the receiver would be a problem. I know it is recommended to keep the ignition system as far away from the servos as possible. I do not know if that includes the batteries.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy, yes it includes the batteries, wires and switches. Check with the manufacturer of your radio to get the definitive answer. Dan.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No problem with the ignition battery and the receiver battery being near each other
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

After building but before covering, I always balance my plane to see if it's nose or tail heavy. I use the battery's own weight to reduce or eliminate the need for additional "dead" weight by moving the battery forward or backward to balance a plane out. Many times I have had to place the battery next to one of the two or three receivers that I have in my planes and it has not caused me any type of interference problems.

Consider yourself lucky that your plane is nose heavy, as much less weight will need to be added to the rear to balance her out compared to a tail heavy situation. Good luck and don't forget to also balance her laterally as well...

Last edited by VincentJ; 10-24-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Moving the receiver pack is a good call. I put together a GeeBeeR2 and by putting the receiver pack underneath the fin, I didn't need to use any extra weight. (used a weed eater motor) Also build nice access panels like servo doors on your plane. Believe me you will never regret easy repair work down the line.