Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal Ki-61 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Ki-61 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 07:54 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

A lot of warbirds have more dihedral than you would think at first. I once tried reduced dihedral on a small P-40 in an effort to improve the roll. All it accomplished was making the airplane look funny.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I agree with Matt.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:46 PM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default from two wings to one almost

Hi Guys. I know I’m Slow. But in my defense, this is not the easiest build. I have spent the last few week since I got over COVID trying to get the wing half lined up and sanded to the proper dihedral. I was afraid to take too much off at a time, and I did. They fit together very well but I have about 2 cm to much dihedral. Now I am trying to decide whether I should try and flatten it out a little. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Anyway here is a pic of the wing clamped together. Let me know what you all think. Hope everyone is getting ready for flying season.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:11 PM
FlyerInOKC

Matt, you are thinking all wrong. Building isn't a race it's a marathon!

If you want to see slow check out the name on my build!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nce-post-build
Old 03-18-2022, 06:43 PM
Mtthwacrss

To be fair you started last year and are farther along than I am after 2 years.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

Actually I started cutting parts over 5 years ago. Laminated the main spar at least 3 years ago.
My TF 182 is 8 years old and I haven't finished yet.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:47 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtthwacrss
Hi Guys. I know I’m Slow. But in my defense, this is not the easiest build. I have spent the last few week since I got over COVID trying to get the wing half lined up and sanded to the proper dihedral. I was afraid to take too much off at a time, and I did. They fit together very well but I have about 2 cm to much dihedral. Now I am trying to decide whether I should try and flatten it out a little. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Anyway here is a pic of the wing clamped together. Let me know what you all think. Hope everyone is getting ready for flying season.
If it was my choice I would go with good fit over too much dihedral.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:07 AM
Mtthwacrss

Okay wing is together now. I did some more sanding and got the angle right. I have added some more of the upper wing sheeting. I will try and get some pictures on this weekend.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:05 AM
Mtthwacrss

First pic is the top of the wing sleeted as per the plans. Still need to cap the ribs, or I might just completely cover the top. Lots of sanding to do before I am anywhere near read to cover or paint.

Second pic is bottom of the wing. Still have one more piece of sheeting to put on as well as the aileron door. I also have to fit the gear and doors. A lot of the bottom doesn’t call for sheeting. I wish the whole wing was sheeted but I don’t want to add to much weight. Again a lot of sanding to do here. I didn’t get the best seams. I did measure out the left aileron and have decided to go with a different configuration than the plans show. See attached drawing.

As always let me know what your thoughts are and I will post again when I have made some progress.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:29 AM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Separate Aileron servos are so much easier to set up. My Dad built one back in the late 60's per plans. Sold it before he flew it. Same thing with a TF Mustang. His friends would see his birds as he was finishing them up and they had to have them.
You're getting there
Old 02-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Gary in Fla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, did this Ki-61 ever get finished? I am waiting for a kit at the moment. Looking forward for any updates.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:28 AM
Mtthwacrss

No the plane is still about the same place have been busy with other things. i did finish the servo doors and I'm about ready to start the second landing gear cut out and placement. I will try and post some new pics soon. please feel free to post from your build if you want. looking forward to seeing how you do yours.