Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to remove canopy from EPP foam block

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to remove canopy from EPP foam block

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 02:52 AM
Armchair Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove canopy from EPP foam block

I'm working on an EPP F-86 combat foamie. The raw fuselage includes an unshaped canopy bulge on the top that I'm planning to replace with a 7" clear plastic formed canopy. The plastic canopy will include a 1/12th painted plastic pilot, but if it proves to be too fragile for everyday use I may want to replace it with the original EPP foam.

What technique(s) and or tools can I use to remove the EPP canopy from the top of the fuselage but keep it as a single piece of foam in case I want to use it later on?

The fuselage is 2.5" wide and the unshaped part of the canopy is 1.5" high.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How to remove canopy from EPP foam block

The ideal way to do it is with a "Hot Bow". This is a device that looks like the bow from a Bow and Arrow, but the "String" is a piece of NiChrome wire that heats up and melts throught the foam. You would also need to create templates to guide the wire on for a smooth cut. All in all, it's a somwhat complicated system, but anything else is really going to mess up the foam.

If I were you, I'd just leave it as is.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Armchair Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to remove canopy from EPP foam block

Hummm...that sounds like a lot of work just to salvage a piece of EPP foam that I may (or may not) need to re-use someday.

Since I really want this glider to look scale with a 1/12th pilot inside a clear canopy [I probably won't be doing any real combat] I need to remove the unshaped EPP bulge. I guess I'll just score the seams with a #11 Xacto blade, and then swap in progressively longer blades until the bulge comes lose.