Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lanier Extra 300s 1/4 scale kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lanier Extra 300s 1/4 scale kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 01:02 PM
JohnFH
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once it’s heat molded, you roll it with thinned epoxy, it fills the surface pores and makes it rigid. It sands like pine after that. After it’s smooth I can prime and paint or do a film covering. I haven’t really gotten to how I’m going to finish it. With the amount of sheeted surfaces paint is sounding appealing and for the open structure of the fuselage just use nylon cloth of the correct color and lightly spray it with clear to seal it.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:19 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFH
Once it’s heat molded, you roll it with thinned epoxy, it fills the surface pores and makes it rigid. It sands like pine after that. After it’s smooth I can prime and paint or do a film covering. I haven’t really gotten to how I’m going to finish it. With the amount of sheeted surfaces paint is sounding appealing and for the open structure of the fuselage just use nylon cloth of the correct color and lightly spray it with clear to seal it.
Did you use the plastic part to tool from so you hot form the core?

Bob
Old 11-01-2021, 08:24 AM
JohnFH

I used a combination of using the plastic piece to verify the shape and hand forming with stainless tubing
Old 11-02-2021, 12:53 AM
sensei

I used a combination of using the plastic piece to verify the shape and hand forming with stainless tubing
Nice, real nice!

Bob
Old 11-04-2021, 07:11 PM
JohnFH

Got the fin/rudder skinned and capped 1.4 ounces. Not sure how I’m going to hinge it yet...
Getting the skins set up for the horizontal stab/elevators, kit supplied skin 4.2 ounces, replacement skins 2.1 ounces. 50% weight reduction, haven’t made the carbon elevator joiner/control horn, but I’m estimating it will weigh about half what the hardwood dowel/steel screw/nylon connector option weighs.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:05 PM
sensei

Got the fin/rudder skinned and capped 1.4 ounces. Not sure how I’m going to hinge it yet...
Getting the skins set up for the horizontal stab/elevators, kit supplied skin 4.2 ounces, replacement skins 2.1 ounces. 50% weight reduction, haven’t made the carbon elevator joiner/control horn, but I’m estimating it will weigh about half what the hardwood dowel/steel screw/nylon connector option weighs.

Looks great, you still have an opportunity to lighten more if you wish.

Bob

Just food for thought, my scratch built 52% Extra 300 SP 150” wingspan.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:55 PM
JohnFH

Got the horizontal stab sheeted. Then got distracted a little, found one of these in a barn, so I need to finish it. First full scale