Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Unbending my elevator.How?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Unbending my elevator.How?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 AM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbending my elevator.How?

The elevator control surface on my GP PT40 got a nasty bend in it. When hinged (using Dubro hinge kit for proper alignment), it kinda wants to "snap" to one side easily, due to its nasty bend. Is there a way to un-bend it? Perhaps soke it in water or something? (dunno if water is good for the balsa). Or do you do this while covering? (perhaps by adding more heat to the oposite side of the bent to make it stretch strait..?)

The ailerons got some degree of bend in them too, so i guess bent surfaces are a common thing in most kits. Must be a way to fix this. Very irritating thing.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:40 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Unbending my elevator.How?

I am not sure how much bend you have, however you can remove some of it by spraying it with a solution of ammonia and water and then putting some weights on it, or you can use your covering to remove it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-08-2004, 09:07 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

I had the same problem with an Avistar - I just made a new elevator. It was the easiest route to take and took about 1/2 hour to complete.

Steve
Old 07-08-2004, 11:18 AM
brsseb

Ill try to fix the bend during covering. It that dont help, ill just get a new one. As you say, it shouldnt take long to cut and hinge a new one.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
brsseb

I read something in a Great Planes kit manual somewhere that you can spray window cleaner on balsa to make them easier to bend. It was useful when bending the sheeting for wings or turtledeck (thin balsa sheets though). Think this is a good idea for my (slightly thicker) elevator?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:48 PM
bojangle

I know what you mean by the "snap". Soak the elevator in water a few minutes , then press between paper towels/weights for a day. It will straighten out fine.

Before starting any kit, I straighten all bent parts. But if the piece is warped in the flat plane, then best to call the factory, they will gladly send replacement part. Don't even try to hinge parts that don't "mate" properly.

Bob
Old 07-10-2004, 05:20 AM
brsseb

Thankz. Gonna soke it and pin it to the board, making sure its strait in all dimensions, with towels and weights. Dont bother getting new parts, since the factory is in the US and im in Norway. Gonna take forever to order new onces. But I think I can fix it.