Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

APC compatible spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

APC compatible spinner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 12:54 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APC compatible spinner

I could not fit my 2.5-inch Dubro plastic spinner on my 11x7 APC propeller and it was a real hassle to file the spinner ! Is there a plastic spinner in the market that can fit APC ? Thanks guys !
Old 07-18-2002, 01:03 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF YOU DON'T MIND SPENDING THE MONEY TRUE TURN WILL CUT THERE SPINNERS TO FIT. BUT IT AIN'T CHEAP.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:07 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Dremel tool with sanding drum makes short work of enlarging the cut-outs to fit a larger prop.

You used a FILE? Jeez; no wonder you're aggravated. That would take forever.

BTW, I would stay with DuBro. Now that Goldberg stuff is difficult to come by, the DuBro is the best plastic spinner available IMO. Stay away from the SIG on a powerful four-stroke. SIG spinner faces are held only by the two screws; these won't take the torque of a powerful four stroke. The Dubro, like the Goldberg, has four stout pins in addition to the 6-32 bolts/locknuts. Plus, you don't need a hammer to install it or a pry bar to get the face off, like you do with the Goldberg.

My pal broke a SIG plastic spinner on a YS 63, and I broke one on a YS 91; just by advancing the throttle.

Steve
Old 07-18-2002, 02:17 PM
rajul

Steve, could you post a photo of what your cutout looks like after Dremel sanding ? I am not sure if the sanding drum can fit my 2.5 inch spinner cutout. Thx..............
Old 07-18-2002, 06:59 PM
LSP972

Sure.

This a Dubro 2.5" spinner, cut to fit an APC 16x6. I had to remove a LOT of plastic. But if you're careful to enlarge the cut-outs equally on both sides, and only remove as much material as necessary, the structural integrrity of the spinner will not be affected.

I used a standard (15mm in diameter) Dremel sanding drum with coarse grit. You'll be there all day if you try to use the smaller one. They only come in two sizes, that I am aware of.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18147_351.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	11570  
Old 07-18-2002, 07:03 PM
LSP972

Here's a shot of the other side of the cut...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18149_351.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	11571  
Old 07-18-2002, 10:17 PM
rajul

Default beatifully done !

Steve, your mod looks great! Very nicely done ! Thanks a lot for the pics and instructions. They give me a clear idea what to do. I don't have a Dremel but I have a RTX with the same size sanding drum. I'll go ahead and use it but wish me luck as I have only one go at it (no spare spinner).................
Old 07-18-2002, 11:09 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I know you said plastic but Dave Brown Products will cut your Vortech spinner to fit an APC propeller
Old 07-19-2002, 12:23 AM
LSP972

Glad I could help, Rajul.

Steve
Old 07-19-2002, 02:21 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Sig spinners have cutouts that fit APC props at reasonable prices.......check their website
Good luck
Brian
Old 07-19-2002, 02:39 AM
rajul

Bigbri, I heard of many horror stories of SIG spinner breaking up even during throttle up in this forum. Weak design based on two screws holding the nose and backplate whereas Dubro has four dowel pins and two bolt/lock nuts............
Old 07-19-2002, 10:18 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Hmmmmmmmm. Interesting, I was about to try them myself. Guess I will hold off for a while
Thanks
Brian
Old 07-19-2002, 12:30 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Default Sig Spinners

I have flown my 4*60 with an MDS 68 a number of times and the Sig spinner is still in tact It maybe just a bad batch or they weren't tightened correctly. Anyway mine is still ok. I waill keep an eye out though. Thanks. Jollyroger
Old 07-19-2002, 01:36 PM
LSP972

>

Well, how does one one INcorrectly tighten a spinner? Either it's properly fitted and lined up, or it's not, yes?

The two incidents I have personal knowledge of involved four-stroke engines; which have greater torque than a two-stroke. Is that the difference? I dunno.

But a hobby shop owner told me he stopped carrying the product because some of his customers were complaining that they were breaking the spinner with their electric starter.

Now, I know the kind of guy this is; the one who pushes the button, lets the starter wind up, and then jams it against the spinner. And they wonder why they have that ugly gouge groove around the spinner.

Still, DuBro and Goldberg spinners stand up to this abuse, so the point is made. And the simple fact is that the SIG does not have the additional supporting pins.

You pays your money, and you makes your choice...

Steve