Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Winter Project

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:09 PM
2BFlying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project

I'm getting ready to purchase my winter project plane and have been looking at several kits. I really like the SIG 4 STAR 60 kit and from the threads I have read It is a really good build and the result is an excellent performer. I am also interested in the FANTASY SKYSHARK but haven't seen a lot about it. My engine choice will be either a TT GP 61 which runs great or an O.S. 91 FS SURPASS II that I also like very well and have both of them on other planes. OR, if anyone has any other suggestions I am definitely interested in hearing about any other kits that would compare to one of these.
RWCherry
Old 10-27-2004, 12:50 PM
TyBryner

Default RE: Winter Project

ORIGINAL: 2BFlying

I'm getting ready to purchase my winter project plane and have been looking at several kits. I really like the SIG 4 STAR 60 kit and from the threads I have read It is a really good build and the result is an excellent performer. I am also interested in the FANTASY SKYSHARK but haven't seen a lot about it. My engine choice will be either a TT GP 61 which runs great or an O.S. 91 FS SURPASS II that I also like very well and have both of them on other planes. OR, if anyone has any other suggestions I am definitely interested in hearing about any other kits that would compare to one of these.
RWCherry
I can't speak for the Skyshark, however I have built both the 40 size and 60 size Four Star's, and would have to agree with everyone else in the other threads... I would recommend it to anybody, but particurlarly first or second-time builders. They're very easy to build, and have great instructions and plans. (the 60 even has a couple improvements over the 40) and they're just as easy to fly.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:27 PM
CafeenMan

How much time do you have to build this kit? Neither of them take too long. I'm only mentioning this because you said "winter project" and to me they seem like 2-week projects. Might want to line up another kit for when you finish this one.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
TyBryner

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

How much time do you have to build this kit? Neither of them take too long. I'm only mentioning this because you said "winter project" and to me they seem like 2-week projects. Might want to line up another kit for when you finish this one.
I was thinking the same thing. If you have more than a couple of hours a night to spend on it, you'll be done fast.

However if it's your very first build, then it will take a little bit longer. I had my .60 (third plane) together in half the time as my .40 (first plane)
Old 10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
narpets

I'll be building a CNC rounter as one of my winter projects. ALso have a few planes I desinged this summer, that I'll probably build.

And yep, can't go wrong w/ the 4* series... As your have plenty of time unless you have a month long winter then I would add a SIG Kougar to the list. One of the best sport planes out there IMO. W/ a GOOD .45 it's plenty fast, does every trick in the book, and then some, flies in 30 MPH winds like it isn't there, and you can land it touching the til first w/ ease.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
MrSteve09

Hi 2B,...

Sounds like either of your choices would be good!! However I wouldn't want you to overlook another possibility,... the Goldberg Tiger 60!! There are quite a few posts and threads here that rave about the Tiger 60's flying characteristics, which should put a smile on your face just reading them.

The Tiger 60 is regarded by quite a few as a "poor-mans" pattern plane!! It flys that smooth!! Set up right I've seen them compete in pattern competiton. In fact I flew the smaller .40 size Tiger 2 to a district championship my first year in pattern competition!! They are that good!!

Check out the Tiger 60,... its an easy build and you get a great flying plane as a result!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your other choices, as I have no doubt they are a great flying plane as well, but you shouldn't overlook the Tiger 60!!

As far as engine choices,... I love four strokes so I would opt for the 91 Surpass. However if that engine is already in another airplane and you've got the finances for a third engine, check out the Saito 91. I believe for the displacement the Saito has more power and they are rock solid reliable engines!! Once again,... I'm not knocking, as the OS 91 Surpass is an excellent engine. Just given the option I'd choose the Saito.

Sincerely,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 10-27-2004, 09:05 PM
2BFlying

MrSteve09
I had thought about the new TIGER 60 but haven't really looked very hard into the build on it. I have been building since the mid sities when there were no ARFs, so everything I flew, I built. I was out of the sport for several years as time had to be spent raising a family and getting into a profession. But my last few planes have been ARFs and now I'm ready to get back to building some of my own. Equipment is NOT a problem, as I have access to a industrial mill and lathe, and have machined some specialty parts for my engines. My flying partner and I are always making some little something to go on our planes. If the plane can be slowed down for landings, then I'm interested. 60 to 80 inch span. If I wanted fast landings i would get a jet. I fly for the fun of it. I have a farm and have flown a lot there, but the takeoffs and landings are a little bit rough. Maybe I should look at two kits, you can never have enough planes.
RWCherry
Old 10-27-2004, 09:11 PM
CafeenMan

2bflying - It sounds like you have the building experience to do anything you want. Considering your field conditions, maybe go all out with an STOL type bush plane.

Give it operational leading edge slats, split or fowler flaps, a sturdy landing gear and keep the weight low. You can scratch build it fairly easily and will probably only need to draw the airfoil and make a few copies to work out the slats and flaps. That could keep you occupied for a little while and give you a great plane to fly in any conditions including snow.