Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do335a ....Sorry for the late response to post #2076 - in that post you asked quote (One last point. ScaleRCpilot , how did you manage to get a one piece wing? The plans show and the kit builds into a two piece wing, with an aluminum joiner tube.)

1st. I am not sure why you asked that question, I can only surmise that it was to an earlier post about adding a little dihedral to the wing.
If that be the case I built the wing per the instructions and followed the instructions for the two piece wing. How I managed the dihedral was marking the tubes exact center
and used a big nail center punched it to slightly cause a bend to the tube. This gave me the 1 degree of dihedral I was looking for.
Hope that answered your question and I agree this kit was not the best. I have about 14 flights on mine and yes the LG lacks big time! LOL!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

My fuselage construction is finished except for the front hood deck.
Will do that last as when done you cant get to much under it. I made a sliding mount for the gas tank. The dle 35ra motor detaches from the main motor mount. I am close to 14 pounds , weighing everything i have finished + tanks, engine, smoke pump & tank. I still have the wing l.e. And tips to do. The weight at this point is 14 pounds.
I have some extra fuse sides * sticks left as i bought and made lighter parts..
I am 89 as of dec 8 2017 so i am a slow builder. 2 years so far. Hope to fly in the spring of 2018.
Glad to see this post is alive as well as others good luck with yours.
Trainermaster80

BY THE WAY ANYONE USING FISH LINE FOR FLYING WIRES ON RUDDER & ELEVATOR OF THE DYNAFLITE SUPPER DECATHLON? IF SO WHAT TYPE AND SIZE LINE AND BRAND DID YOU USE?
I'LL APPRECIATE AN ANSWER FROM ANY KNOLAGEABLE SOURCE. THANKS FRANKI TRAINERMASTER80

Last edited by trainermaster80; 11-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM
trainermaster80

Any one who has built a dynaflite super decathlon or is building one.
Can you suply me with a source for thr star decals or a full size pattern for them so i can get them made.
My plans , the stars outline is so faint i cant read them to trace.
Also there is no drawing of the stars on the rudder.
I contacted one company who said they could supply for $154.00 jeze i only paid $169 for the kit from a close out sale.
I would really appreciate any help i can get from you guys.
[email protected]
the trainermaster80 89 year old modeler.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 AM
trainermaster80

It appears that this thread on the dynaflite super decathlon is dead as there has been no activity from builders or would be builders.
Nor have i received any replies for my i need help questions.
Those who have built the kit say it is a good flyer and some u tube coverage of flites show that,
a lot of previous built super decathlon planes have been crashed or sold or not finished due to discussed with the kit building instructions& ect.
Keep em flyin, but as i see it the hobby is dying due to age of modelers & drones
which some are not modelers as wee have known them to be in the past. Different attitudes.
The hobby is active in some states but not like it was in the 60,70,80 & 90 's.
Thanks for any help! frankie the 89 year old modeler
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

trainermaster80,

sometimes notifications of posts on these forums works as well as my Super Dud flew, which is to say poorly.

Just today I see that you are asking about flying wires on the tail back in November.

That's something which I added. The first step was to locate where they would attach to the stab and the fin. Next step was to drill a 1/4" diameter hole in each location and glue in a piece of hardwood dowel as a hardpoint.

Since I had lots of Du-Bro quick links and solder links, I made them up identically to those on my Sig 1/4 size clipped wing Cub. Very quick and easy.

That process is illustrated and described very well in the build manual, which is available online for free at Sig's web site.

You will find it at this page:
Main Menu SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.

It's under the heading Product Support, menu item Sig instruction manuals, menu item R/C scale kits.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM
beepee

Tmaster 80,

You might try Callie Graphics for the star pattern (Callie Graphics <[email protected]>). They do great work and at a reasonable price.

I liked my Dynaflite SD and thought is flew well. It unfortunately had a short life due to really poor piloting. About all I have left is repairable wings and I am organizing some thoughts around restoring them, shortened, and building a box fuselage to go with them.

Anything to stay busy.

Bedford
Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Default Star and Burst Pattern

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Any one who has built a dynaflite super decathlon or is building one.
Can you suply me with a source for thr star decals or a full size pattern for them so i can get them made.
My plans , the stars outline is so faint i cant read them to trace.
Also there is no drawing of the stars on the rudder.
I contacted one company who said they could supply for $154.00 jeze i only paid $169 for the kit from a close out sale.
I would really appreciate any help i can get from you guys.
[email protected]
the trainermaster80 89 year old modeler.
Hey T-Master80 ...........You might be right about the thread going dead! There are so many other means of entertainment these days - R/C video games, ARF's ,First person view with Drones just to name a few!
I understand that your plans are very light and you are having a hard time seeing them to trace them. I might can help you here as I traced my stars and made templates of the stars and the burst that follows the stars. The templates were traced from tracing paper to poster board stock and cut out. I then traced around the templates with a fine point sharpie marker pen and cut out my Monocote stars and bursts. I think when I applied the monocote stars to the covering I used soap and water (like you would a decal) and later ironed it on with my monocote iron. Later I used clear finger nail polish to seal the edges (but I don"t recommend that) and it came off with use of cleaners on the covering after flying. I would now use Monocote Trim Solvent to secure your edges.

Now for the question!......If I find the patterns and mailed them to you - would you want to use them? I figure anyone who goes to the trouble of building a plane like this should get a little respect, and I will pay for the postage and send them to you free of charge! Why free? People on this forum have helped me in the years past and that's what this is all about! No big deal - I have been blessed so far in my life and would love to help you - if you want it! You can reach me at [email protected] with your answer. Note: there is an underscore ( _ ) between ranch and mail in that email address!

Tail bracing - As you may have read in here this plane is slightly heavy on the build and I did use 2-56 (thread on one end) with metal clevises and that just added more weight out on the tail. Do you really need them? Answer : No not really! But it looks better or more scale/realistic with them! I agree, that's why I added them to mine! But just keep in mind - keep that tail as light as possible.
Look forward to hearing from you! Doug
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM
trainermaster80

Default Decathlon star patterns

Hi , i would really appreciate you sending me the star patterns for the dynaflite super decathlon.
I am89 and this will be probably my last model. I still hope to fly a few more years.
Thank you
send to frank gruswitz
7636 jerome ave
st louis, mo 63143
i would be glad to pay the postage. Frankie.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:15 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Thumbs up Star and Burst Pattern

OK Frank! , Give me a few days - I will dig for the patterns, I have moved twice since building that SD and I have some ideas where they might be! Got to do some digging! However IF I cannot find them - I will drag out my SD plans and cut out some new ones if we have to. I will report back to you in a few days as to whats going on OR if I got them in the mail. So bare with me and we will get something out your way!
Doug

Last edited by ScaleRCpilot; 01-24-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
do335a

In the meantime, here's a PDF copy of the Dynaflite Super Decathlon plan.

Since it clearly shows the star patterns for the wings and will print out full size (try a copy shop), you'll be well on your way.

Right click with your mouse and select save.
Attached Thumbnails Super_Decathlon_Plan.pdf  
Old 01-24-2018, 05:29 PM
trainermaster80

Default Decathlon star patterns

Thank doug it's guy's like you that have made this hobby enjoyable thought the years. I have helped many molders and it all ways comes back to me from another molders like yourself.
Thanks frankie g
Old 01-26-2018, 12:09 PM
trainermaster80

Do335a down loaded your plan you sent. Sorry i did not see any stars, only the copy of the fuse & rudder & elevator?
I may have located a set of decals from some one still waiting to hear from them. If not a set of patterns may be comming from scale rc pilot
thanks anyway frank
Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM
do335a

Trainermaster, the PDF file is two pages. The wing, with the stars is on the second page.

The stars are shown with dashed line outlines. Both the white parts and the outline borders are shown.

I've just looked at the uploaded file by downloading it from my post to check that the second page is there. It is. So if you are not getting it, there could be something wrong in your downloaded file. I'd suggest trying it once more.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 AM
ScaleRCpilot

Default Stars and Burst Patterns

T- Master...Looked for the patterns but have not located them so I am going to cut you out some new ones. What you will get - one pattern set for the wing and one set for the tail. You can flip the patterns over and cut the opposite wing from the same pattern. I will look to see how much (if any difference between the horizontal stab and the vertical stab) there is so there might be a third set. Working on them today and try to get them knocked out so I can get them to you ASAP!
ScaleRCpilot Just a side note Frankie - you could cut these out of White (or whatever color you want) Monocote Trim sheet as opposed to Monocote type covering. I think that was the thought I had when I was applying my Monocote covering stars. Would be easier! I believe in the long run!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM
trainermaster80

Default Star burst patterns

Scale rc pilot. Thanks for your efforts in my behalf for the patterns. I am experimenting with ultra cote on some scrap pieces of balsa. Then i will atttach a piece of ultra cote that is shaped like a star. To see which is the best way i can apply the final stars to the plane
thank you frankie g trainermaster80
Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Default Stars and Burst Patterns

T-Master ...............Your welcome! I worked on them most of the rainy day here on Sat. and I will finish cutting out the last few tonight. I hope to have these in the mail to you on Tues.
I think ultra-cote might work ok if it sticks well. From my memory I think ultra-cote is a low heat (or lower heat) than Mono-cote covering. Its used by Hanger 1 on most of their models.
So keep an eye on your mailbox my good man!
SR/CP
Old 02-03-2018, 07:54 AM
trainermaster80

Default Dynaflite star patterns

Hello rcpilot got your star patterns great. Thank you very much.
It will be a while before i actually cut stars out,
i have some medical problems that have cropped up that i have to take care of first,
i also have to have a jaw tooth surgerically removed. Not looking forward to that.
I have positioned your elevator & rudder patterns on my plane as those are all ihave covered right now.
They will aid in marking the surface points for installing the stars.
Thank you so much, you are a good modeling friend.
I will send you a letter soon asking you what you are flying , building & what engines do you have .
I have a ton of stuff & am down sizing. There may be something in my stuff you could use. No charge to you.
I have been trying to make a list of my stuff, got the new in box engines done,'i have a lot of kraft radio stuff as i was an authorized craft repair station. Still have some kraft factory service manuals and updates. & kraft transmitters.
Agian your efforts will save me time, and since my plans are so faint your patters solved that.
Agian i cant thank you enough. I will share your patterns to those in need that i know of who are also building the dynaflite super decathlon
think spring !
Frankie trainermaster 80
Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
ScaleRCpilot

Default Star and Burst Pattern

T-Master......You are so very welcome I am so blessed to be able to help out a fellow modeler. I hope you can get your health back under control so that you can get that SD finished and I too am about to have to face the dentist so I know how you feel about that aspect! Lol! I made a Master pattern so all I have to do is lay it over poster board and draw the outlines, then cut out with an exacto knife. I have been learning to sew on my vintage Montgomery Wards sewing machine. Why you ask? I have been making wing protection bags for my wings for my planes! So I am not turning in my MAN card yet! My brother gave me a couple of sleeping bags for Christmas and I convert and modify them into wing bags by cutting them down and sewing in velco with handle strapping. They look very much like the bags available commercially.
So get well my friend! Report back as soon as you can!
SR/CP
Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Default Dynaflite Super Decathlon Annual

Dynaflite Decathlon Annual I thought I would try my hand at uploading a few pictures of whats happening to my SD during the winter months. i did not like the way my paint looked on my cowling so I decided to sand it down for a repaint. Since I am using a Saito 180 4-stroker for power with glow fuel (my original choice was a G-26 gas motor) the old paint (enamel) was starting to bubble up and come off. That's when I found out that Top Flite had dis-continued making their glow fuel proof paint "LustreKote" but there were a few cans left on Tower Hobbies web site so I scored a can of Jet White so I am in luck! As you can see in the picture there is a new Tru-turn spinner that will replace the old one - this is due to the old spinner becoming loose after I fired up the motor and the prop bent it. Costly mistake of not getting the spinner tight enough cause I did not want to over tighten it and mess it up! Oh well so much for that!
T-Master this is my other project that I have been working on it is a Seagull 80inch SpaceWalker Saito 125 4-stroker - I hope to put a 1st flight as soon as the weather gets a little better! I had the 60 size SW and it was a super nice flying plane (not a barn burner) but a great easy going plane so I figured if the 60 size is this good the 80incher has to be better! So we will see!
I also included a picture of the star burst on my SD!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_130920_Burst01.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2253463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_131012_Burst01.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	2253464   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_195040.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2253465  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:01 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaleRCpilot
Dynaflite Decathlon Annual I thought I would try my hand at uploading a few pictures of whats happening to my SD during the winter months. i did not like the way my paint looked on my cowling so I decided to sand it down for a repaint. Since I am using a Saito 180 4-stroker for power with glow fuel (my original choice was a G-26 gas motor) the old paint (enamel) was starting to bubble up and come off. That's when I found out that Top Flite had dis-continued making their glow fuel proof paint "LustreKote" but there were a few cans left on Tower Hobbies web site so I scored a can of Jet White so I am in luck! As you can see in the picture there is a new Tru-turn spinner that will replace the old one - this is due to the old spinner becoming loose after I fired up the motor and the prop bent it. Costly mistake of not getting the spinner tight enough cause I did not want to over tighten it and mess it up! Oh well so much for that!
T-Master this is my other project that I have been working on it is a Seagull 80inch SpaceWalker Saito 125 4-stroker - I hope to put a 1st flight as soon as the weather gets a little better! I had the 60 size SW and it was a super nice flying plane (not a barn burner) but a great easy going plane so I figured if the 60 size is this good the 80incher has to be better! So we will see!
I also included a picture of the star burst on my SD!
Put that FA-180 on CDI with the glow fuel and get 25% better fuel economy, slightly more power and vastly improved user friendliness.

RCU Forums - HP/Fuel Consumption Tests: Saito FA180, FA180CDI, FA180HC CDI BBC

GOOGLE PHOTOBUCKET HOTLINK FIX (FREE)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click the link in my signature to fix the Photobucket image block.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM
ScaleRCpilot

@SrTelemaster150...................That's mighty cool! I might consider that add-on. I am looking at the size of that CDI box and trying to imagine that in my SD. Sure looks a lot more tame!
I think I might could work it into the front as there is some room in there! I had a Sullivan Glow driver on it originally but took it off after I saw how easy my 180 idol was fairly smooth and reliable.
Thanks for sharing that! SR/CP
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sad to report that my SD didn't last very long. you can see it post #2047. After completing it and breaking in the engine, I took it out to a scale contest at our club's field. I did a couple of maiden flights with it, and it flew quite well, shot a number of take-offs and landings, and touch and gos, checked it all over, and found no problems with it. I entered it in the contest, and on my first flight, the 6th or 7th maneuver was a slow roll, and I didn't have sufficient airspeed or altitude, and it spun in from about 75' up. It was a mess, though the wings were only slightly damaged, and the tail feathers were perfectly fine, so I passed those items onto another flyer who is preparing to build his own SD, hopefully they'll live on for him.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 PM
ScaleRCpilot

@RDJeff...............I feel your pain my man! I have busted a few in the years past including a kit built (Royal) PT-17 Stearman! A post crash investigation blames the builder (that be me) of the plane as using a push-rod on the elevator that had loose metal clevises on each end which vibrated the push-rod out of the servo end resulting in a total loss of elevator, stall, dive to the runway from about 80 ft up. Yeah it hurts!
I rebuilt it with foam wings and flew it for many years after learning my mistake!
SR/CP
Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 PM
trainermaster80

RDJEFF
so sorry to see your SD did not last long. you did get some flits in that's good.
i have read on this site of a number of SD's that did not last too long.
sad as the dynaflite supper decathlon takes quite a long time to build. it is far from the best kit catagory.
i am starting my 3RD year building mine. i have the tail feathers built & covered.
i have the wings built except the leading edges & wing tips.
the fuse is done except for the front top deck.
will start covering the fuselage next week end.
i got some templates for the stars from a fellow modeler on this site. did not have much luck so far making stars from ultracote.
i have a dle 35ra engine & a smoke system installed.
i am crossing my fingers to come out with 16 lbs or less weight.
wish me l.o.l
agian i am saddened to read of all the sd's that have not ended well.
p.s. i have some extra sd fuse sides and a few other left over parts if any one can use them contact me. just pay the postage for them
at 89 this will be my last year with big models & perhaps some other models.
i am going to inventory my stuff & seel down i have sold some stuff @ well below tower hobbies prices for like items.
have 25 NIB engines i will probably sell too
KEEP EM FLYING GUY'S @ HAVE FUN DOING IT
BEST WISHES FROM THE TRAINERMASTER80
p.s word now is that tower hobbies has recieved offers from at least 2 buyers. so they may live onhapp flying to all on this site & thanks for all the good ideas you have shared with me
[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.