Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Ryan STA

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Ryan STA

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 10:26 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Ryan STA

I just bought this kit on RCU, and tarted construction. The plans show a copyright of 1971, and the servos look unusual. I believe this kit must have been out of production for sometime. My take on it after completing half of the fuse construction is that it's a well engineered kit, but will require quite a bit of work to complete.

Anyone have experience with this kit? I would welcome comments on building and flying. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Sig Ryan STA

I can't comment on the Ryan, but just FYI, those servos shown are Kraft Servos. In the early 70's you'd be laughed off the field if you showed up with anything but a Kraft Radio.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:00 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Ryan STA

I found another thread where someone was complaining about the kit. Instructions, weight, etc. I have not had any problems so far. I am enjoying the build experience. It takes some work, and you need to read the plan.

One of my complaints on kit building is the GP or H9 style of kit. Everything is spelled out. The parts interlock together, just like a little puzzle. Not much sanding needed. No carving. No thinking. The finished product doesn't reflect any of the builder's skills. They are not needed. And, from my experience, the finished product is often too heavy, has strength where it isn't needed, and flies OK. It could be better and lighter with improved design.