Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SUITABLE WORK SURFACE?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SUITABLE WORK SURFACE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUITABLE WORK SURFACE?

I am new to kit building. I know that having a god straight work surface is important. Would any of you experienced builders give me some suggestion on a inexpensive surface that I can build or purchase. I am interested in building 40 - 60 size kits.

Regards,
Jim
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
wolfie_47

Default RE: SUITABLE WORK SURFACE?

I use interior hollow core doors. They are cheap, they stay flat and are easy to push pins in. When the surface gets a little rough from the pins just sand it smooth again.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
ooooo

You'd have to pray really hard for "a god straight work surface" but all prayers aside ..I use a door....yep, go to a hardware store and pick up a flat plywood door. It can take pinning etc etc and it's cheap. Put it flat on a pair of workhorses or make a workbench out of it. Remember though....if you have a couple of beers whilst waiting for epoxy to dry....don't try to open it to get into the house....hehe ok ok....just kidding.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:22 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
Get yourself a hollow core door from your local home improvement store. You can often find a second or damaged one (ask) for dirt cheap. Get a couple ceiling tiles to spray glue to one side to accept pins. VOILA! A great flat work surface for a very small investment.

papermache
Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 PM
PDF

A lot of people will go with a hollow core door. And then you can build your own frame or put it on a old work bench, it's up to you. And some put ceiling tile on top of that so the pins will hold. I personally have a solid wood door ( I got it off a construction site that they where doing demo to for free ) and got (4) threaded flanges that I screwed to the underside and install (4) threaded pipes too for legs. I then have a 1/2 inch thick piece of sheet rock that I place on top of the entire door. If I ever have to replace the sheet rock it's only $5 for a sheet 4'X8'. That's gives you a starting point, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of ingenious ideas to follow you'll learn to be very resourceful. The best of luck building and enjoy the hobby. If you have other questions just shout them out there's always someone willing to help. I find this site very informative and a lot of knowledgeable people willing to lend a hand. Regards, Pat
Old 11-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I recommend the door as well. One addition, go to the local harware store or Home Depot and get two folding legs and attach. That way you can fold up for storage when not in use.

I saw another person use two filing cabinets to store plans etc. at each end of the door to make a "desk" to build on.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Miller
Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Drexus

Exterior Insulating foam slabs. The kind you use around the concrete walls of a basement. This "SM" Foam is absolutely strait, never warps. Loves pins and knifes, light, cheap, lets you cut it down to any size. You can get it in a 2" thickness.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for all the replies. Gosh, I never thought of a door. I will be asking more questions, I'm sure.
I will be starting on a Super Decathlon - 40 in the next few weeks. Probably, after the holidays.

Regards, Happy Thanksgiving, to all of you.

Jim V.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:34 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Drexus

Exterior Insulating foam slabs. The kind you use around the concrete walls of a basement. This "SM" Foam is absolutely strait, never warps. Loves pins and knifes, light, cheap, lets you cut it down to any size. You can get it in a 2" thickness.

I use this stuff too and I use an MDF board with a laminated surface for the actual flat building board.

You can get both at the Home depor or Lowes or whatever good local store you have.

I think I spent about $12 total and the foam was wall size and I cut it down to four slabs for building on. A slab will last through a few models easily before it gets a little too dented from my elbows and hands...