Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Gorilla Glue for wing joint?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Gorilla Glue for wing joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:09 PM
kbkranz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Glue for wing joint?

Good day to all!
I'm building a GP 60 Cub and would like to use Gorilla glue to glue the wing halves together and wondered if anyone had any experience with this stuff in such an application. Other projects I have used it on this stuff is tuff!
Thanks Kev
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gorilla Glue for wing joint?

Works really well. I like to use it on ARFs because the foam fills up the dihedral brace cavity which can be loose at time. Remember to wipe off the excess foam.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 AM
kbkranz

Thanks for your reply Ed:
I thought it would work well, and I know from experience what you are saying about wiping off the excess foam but that will be a challenge with all the clamping I have figured. Might as well get to it.
Thanks again Kev
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Deadeye

I've replaced nearly all of my would be epoxy joints with ProBond. Probond is a bit cheaper then Gorilla Glue, and works just as well.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Just make sure the probond you are using is their polyeurathane glue. They make standard wood glues also, and the bottles can be confusing if you don't look closely.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
smedsky

My advice is to be careful with a joint that is less than tight. Gorilla glue is great stuff for many things, but remember that the foam is a large percentage of air and last I checked, air is not the strongest adhesive. Just be careful.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: smedsky

My advice is to be careful with a joint that is less than tight. Gorilla glue is great stuff for many things, but remember that the foam is a large percentage of air and last I checked, air is not the strongest adhesive. Just be careful.
I hear that. Just because it foams, doesn't give anyone an excuse to build sloppy. Tight joints are always stronger, no matter what the glue is.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:58 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Exactly what smedsky said, make sure your joint it tight when using this type of adhesive. A loose joint filled with glue is never good, Poly or Epoxy. Poly is great stuff, but I always keep the epoxy around especially for when I Join an ARF wing, etc where you have a larger than normal gap. You can use it on your Cub, because you can clamp the joint. Good Luck, Happy Building.

ORIGINAL: smedsky

Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 AM
kbkranz

Thanks for all the reply's.
Got the wing glued up now and was surprised there wasn't a lot of foam to deal with and it sanded down relatively easily. The joint was very tight before I glued it except for a piece I believe they called spar brace. It was three laminated pieces of 1/8 " ply that slipped between both upper and lower spars on both wings then glued in. it fit in very sloppy which was why I though the foam action in that spot would help. Thanks again Kev.
P.S. the joint seems to be very strong, but the only true test will be on the bottom of a loop right. <grin>
Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 PM
CafeenMan

I've found that MEK or Acetone will remove the poly glues easily when they're wet. I too have switched to poly glue in a lot of cases where I used epoxy before. It's simpler and strong enough for most things. I still use epoxy for firewalls, landing gear and some laminating tasks, but I also use poly for laminating.

The reason I sometimes use epoxy instead of poly is because it's neater. For example, when gluing a doubler in place, I don't want to mess around with sanding away the part that foams out, so I use epoxy.

When I laminate plywood to make a former, I always make it oversize and then cut to shape. Poly works great there because I don't have to worry about the excess.