Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Stinger

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:56 PM
dannafinance
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Stinger

This is the begining of a Giant Stinger. The spares are glued in the wing. Any building tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82685.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	197558  
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 PM
giantscalejim
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Giant Stinger

I have built 2 of these over the years. What do you want to know?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:27 PM
dannafinance

Any modifications that you think are necessary. I am getting ready to start on the fuse. I can not wait to get this thing in the air.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:32 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Hi dannafinance, I to am starting to build a gaint stinger. Please let me know how your building goes. My big concern is the wing. I know that i will have to reinforce the fuselage at the wing saddle. I need to know how to get a good wing joint and the best way to sheet a foam wing. I am thinking of using tight-bond glue on the sheeting and 30 min. epoxy on the wing joint. Maybe Gaintscalejim will get back to you and let us both know some tips. Thanks for your time Wayne
Old 12-31-2004, 09:19 PM
dannafinance

I am going to use Dave Brown Southern Sorgum to sheet the wing. I wil also use 30 minute epoxy the join the wing halves.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:24 PM
waynem

Hi dannafinance, I dont know anything about southern sorgum or where to find it. I may look for it locality. Wayne
Old 12-31-2004, 10:52 PM
dannafinance

Your LHS should have it.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM
giantscalejim
My Feedback: (50)

Guys, here you go:

1) I have sheeted the wings with Southern Sourgum (works fine) although once you touch the sheeting to the foam you can not reposition it. Finishing resin (epoxy works fine, as does polyurethane glues (gorilla glue and others). Take your pick.

2) The wing is VERY strong when built as per the plane. I had one that lost all teh foam from the center section due to smoke juice breaching the covering, but no structural failure.

3) Reinforce the fuselage sides on the inside around the former that the wing dowels mate with. Use 1/8 aircraft ply laminated to the inside fuse sides ~ 3 inches in front to ~4-5 inches behind this former. Reduce the width of the former to accomodate for the extra ply doubler.

4) Add teh recommended fiberglass reinforcement to the inside of the cowel and wing cover ABS pieces as this will add lots of life to the plastic. Additionally, laminate a triangle of ADS (scrap) to the outside of the wing cover where the attachment bolts go through. This double layer of ABS adds a lot of strength and life to the plastic.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

I assume its a contact cement of sorts but what exactly is Dave Brown's Southern Sorgum?

As far as contact cements go, I have used Sig's CoreBond as well just normal hardware store (Lepages, I think) latex contact cement very successfully with foam wings from .15 to 60 sized. Any particular reason to use anything else for larger planes?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
dannafinance

Southern sorgum is a contact cement. That is what I have always used. It works vey well. The only negative is there is no adjustment.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
wldcwbypilot

Its a natural contact cement, it won't eat the foam. I am building a 120 sized Stinger, I bought all new thinner skins to sheet the wings. Others have taken the foam and wafered it and sandwiched the wafers with thin sheet balsa to lighten the wings. Glues, I used probond carpenters glue for most of the kit, I used gorilla glue to glue in the Robarts hinges, I used corebond to sheet the wings and 30 minute epoxy to join and glass the center section of the wing. I would worry more about all the sanding and itching from the sawdust. I lightened the fuse by cutting lightening holes aft of the wing saddle. I also set up for mounting servos in the tail. Stingers fly well, but unless you have enlarged the tail flying surfaces, to create a hooverbatics machine. I am going to start out flying it with a MDS 2.18 or a converted 25cc weedie. I have both engines. If, you want a 3d machine cut the wings down to 76 inches.

will
Old 01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
waynem

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the tips on building a gaint stinger. My kit came with rolled plans only instructions are on the plans. I am working on the fuselage first. Dont have a way to post pictures but I wanted to know if your kits came with plans only.Thanks again Wayne
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 PM
dannafinance

Mine had instructions, but they are not very good.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 PM
waynem

Hi dannafinance, I e-mailed lanier and they sent the instructions to me to download. You are right about not being very good. Working on the wing now. Will start the tail section soon. How is your build going. Wayne
Old 01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
dannafinance

I have the trailing edge on the wing. I have not sanded yet. I also have the tail surfaces together. They are ready for sanding and shaping.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:25 PM
waynem

Hi Dannafinance, I finally got the wings sheeted and top capstrips on. I am about to cut out for the servos on the bottom and I would like to know how you plan to make the long hole for the servo extensions to pass thue from the center of the wing to the servo hole. I think the plans call for useing a brass tube but I was thinking about a large arrow shaft. If you have done yours let me know what you used. Thanks Wayne
Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 PM
dannafinance

I have not done mine yet. I plan to use a heated brass tube. Check out this website http://www.texascombat.com. Look in the workshop in the SSC warbird fuselage. If you look through the build it describes how to get aileron leads through foam.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
waynem

Hi dannafinance, I looked up the web site you recomended and it worked well. I used a long 1/8 wire in a drill to locate the servo cutout then used a 2117 size arrowshaft, heated about 3 inchs back from the knoct end. It followed the hole from the wire right to the servo. thanks for the tip. Wayne
Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
dannafinance

Great I am going to do mine this weekend. I have buddies who fly combat and that is what they told me to do with foam wings. Keep me updated on progress. I will try to post some pictures of the progress on mine. It is moving slowly. I set my wings aside and have been working on the tail surfaces and fusealage. What I have done looks good.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:35 PM
dannafinance

Here are a couple of pictures of the fuse. The front is double with quarter inch ply. I am almost ready to glue the rear end together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78031.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	222366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20011.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	222367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14642.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	222368  
Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 PM
waynem

Looking good, I completed my wing tonight. We are getting a snow and ice storm here in Va. so I will have time to work on it. I will start the tail section tomorrow. How much do you think yours will weigh when done. My flying buddy has talked me into useing carbon fiber tape on 3/8 spurce spars to reinforce the fuse. He thinks this will be lighter than light ply, I hope he is right and is strong enough. I dont have way to put pictures of my build on line. Will let you know how it goes. Wayne
Old 01-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Dan Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

I built and am flting a giant stinger with a magnum R5-400 5 cylinder radial for power
the only changes I made was to beef up the landing gear monut, the wing bolt mount and of course the firewall
I cut a groove in front of the spar for the extension wire with a "U" shape piece of 1/16 wire and heated itwith a torch
not a 3D bird as I've got mine set up ,,, but it soulds GREAT
Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
dannafinance

What engine are you going to put on the Stinger. I am planning on a Brison 2.4 just because I have one. I hope it is enough.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:07 PM
waynem

Hi Dannafinance, I know that you asked Dan about engine size and I have not said anything about engines. I am putting a G62 with electronic ignition in mine. I plan to put smoke in it as I have the smoke muffler already. I built the tail section today and will start the fuselage in a day or too. I have enjoyed this post as we have built our planes togather. Also I am still thinking about the carbon tape epoxyed to spurce strips. Do you think they would be strong enough. Wayne
Old 01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
dannafinance

I really do not know how strong the taped spruce spars will be. I always have a tendency to build stronger than necessary. After a long look at the sides that came in the Stinger kit I decided to double with quarter inch ply. It will be interesting to see what mine will weigh. My fuse ready to cover. Started sheeting wings today.

I had planed on a 3.2, but bought a Sig Sun Dancer and it got the 3.2. I hope the 2.4 will be enough. I really hate to purchase a new engine at this time. I will try to post more pictures tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.