Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Adding Robart Gear to a Sterling Stearman

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Adding Robart Gear to a Sterling Stearman

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:51 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adding Robart Gear to a Sterling Stearman

Hi guys. I have a very well built Sterling Stearman. We all know that the original gear struts are not enough so I have a set of Robart struts for this plane on the way. Has anyone out there retrofitted a built Sterling PT17 with the Robarts? I am just looking for any hints that might make the surgery go a little easier.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Adding Robart Gear to a Sterling Stearman

The struts will come with instructions, but you will have to open up the belly.

They do work great, by the way.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10257.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	198019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73709.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	198020  
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
bassman

I was woundering if they would come with any instructions. That good to know. Your Stearman looks very nice. Are the radial and the strut covers the ones that came with the kit? If not whose are they?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:21 AM
bassman

I got the Robarts for the Stearman. They came with a blue print with adequate diagrams of the installation. I did have to remove the sheeting from the wing to the firewall on the bottom of the plane to install them. I will have to fab up the the strut fairings out of balsa to cover the plywood supports that attach to the flanges on the gear. The struts are very strong and the attachment is solid. Should make quite a difference in this planes ground handling. They look long but seem to match the scale drawings pretty well.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

The strut covers were the plastic ones that came with the original kit, and the engine is Williams Brothers, with an OLD OS 91 interleaved.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59876.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	199973  
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
bassman

Did you cut into the firewall to create room for the carb? I am in the process of making an engine decision on mine. I have been flying it with an exposed OS 91 four stroke. I didn't get the plastic parts with mine and as Williams bros is out of business I can't find a good radial to put on the front. I decided to go with the cowl and one of the available front side radials. The OS would require cutting into the firewall and it would stick out of the cowl. I have a new .75 two stroke that would fit with no firewall mods and stay inside the cowl. All that would stick out are the Pitts pipes and the needle valve. What do you think?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I quit using 2 strokes long long ago. I am one of those old farts that think a scale plane would like to sound better than a bumble bee.

I don't think I had to cut the firewall, that my engine mount was long enough to just make it. This was done in 1992, and I can't remember.

Les
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bassman

Did you cut into the firewall to create room for the carb? I am in the process of making an engine decision on mine. I have been flying it with an exposed OS 91 four stroke. I didn't get the plastic parts with mine and as Williams bros is out of business I can't find a good radial to put on the front. I decided to go with the cowl and one of the available front side radials. The OS would require cutting into the firewall and it would stick out of the cowl. I have a new .75 two stroke that would fit with no firewall mods and stay inside the cowl. All that would stick out are the Pitts pipes and the needle valve. What do you think?

bassman

I have the raidial molds for the sterling pt17 dummy engine if you're interested. I also have the molds for all the other parts that came in the kit. I make the parts with fiberglass.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM
gumppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you still offering the dummy radial in fiberglass? How much are you asking for one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

gumpy. Be aware that the dummy radial on mine was NOT the Sterling. I made my own dummy out of Williams Brothers stuff.

les