Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

More something extra building questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

More something extra building questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:49 PM
hancop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More something extra building questions

1) The antenna tube exits right in front of the tail wheel. Therefore it can't stick out very far or would get caught in the wheel. How far does it need to stick out in order for the reciever to pick up the signal properly at all ranges ?
2) Are the nyrods that are included in the kit sufficient for all control surfaces the plans call for them to be used (elevator and rudder) ?
3) Did everyone use the stock tail wheel assembly ? I bought a sullivan tail wheel assembly, but I don't think I can use it as it would have to go over the blind nut hole that is used for the wire supports that attach to the bottom of the stabalizer. Did anyone else use a sullivan tail wheel ? Did you then move it farther towards the front of the plane ?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 PM
powellrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More something extra building questions

My experience with the SO Extra ARF.
Don't ever cut the antenna on a receiver. Let it dtick out all the way, it won't(very unlikely) get hung in the tail wheel; secure the end antenna wire near where it exits the receiver. A small plastic wire tie works well.

Included tail wheel has worked fine for me.
Throw away the inner plastic push rods. The ones in mine were the worse I've seen in 25 years. They were like a thermometer the plane was totally out of trim each time I went to fly. You can replace them easy with 2-56 rods from you local hobby shop. Since I did that no problems. Also check the fuel tank stopper to make sure it is secure. After you get it really tight tug on it to make sure it is going to stay in. I had to trim a little off the flange portion to let it go a little deeper into the tank.

Good luck, flies GREAT!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hancop,

The 1/16th wire tail wheel strut WILL fail you; its just a question of when. And it is a severe PITA to replace when it breaks.

You got good advice on question #2; save those included pushrods for antenna tubes on your next kit, or something. But don't use them for their intended purpose.

The photo below will answer your other questions, I think. Note how the front of that DuBro tail wheel unit has been relieved to accept the tail braces, and use the existing hole/blind nut. Also check out the way the tiller (steering arm) is attached to the rudder. If I have ANY problems with that assembly, it is a five minute job to replace it; no muss, no fuss.

This mod is easy to do, and you will wish you had when the supplied (and weak) tail gear breaks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85362.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	198481  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hancop

1) The antenna tube exits right in front of the tail wheel. Therefore it can't stick out very far or would get caught in the wheel. How far does it need to stick out in order for the reciever to pick up the signal properly at all ranges ?
2) Are the nyrods that are included in the kit sufficient for all control surfaces the plans call for them to be used (elevator and rudder) ?
3) Did everyone use the stock tail wheel assembly ? I bought a sullivan tail wheel assembly, but I don't think I can use it as it would have to go over the blind nut hole that is used for the wire supports that attach to the bottom of the stabalizer. Did anyone else use a sullivan tail wheel ? Did you then move it farther towards the front of the plane ?

Thanks
Hancop,
The antenna is fine the 5 or 6 in just dangles with no range issues.

I agree with the nyrods. I dumped them and used Sullivan nyrods.

I used the Sullivan tailwheel but you have to plan for it in the build. Mine is over the wire mount. I recessed the clevis into the plastic so it will be flush with the fuse. Will post a picture.

Pete
Old 12-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Rocketman612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As promised here are a couple of photos of my Sullivan tailwheel. I planned the location, drilled the holes and placed the blind nuts. Everything lined up super. As you can see the screw for the wires goes through the tailwheel mount. We have twenty flights on this plane so far with no problems.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30796.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	198766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59314.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	198767  
Old 12-03-2004, 04:20 PM
hookedonrc

I used the sullivan tailwheel just like rocketman did. I took a square file and turned it on its side and filed a small channel in the tailwheel bracket to allow for the space. No problems with mine yet either. On the antenae, mine just dangles out of the back and I have had no problems with it catching in the wheel. I did use a cut up servo arm with it threaded through to hold it in place. I put one in the servo tray area and where the antenae exits the bottom of the fuselage.

BTW: I also ditched the nyrods for 2-56 steel ones. I used the nyrod sleeves to help keep the 2-56 rods straight. I have a 4*60 that had nyrods in it and I got tired of retrimming the plane as the temperature changed. They have also been converted to steel pushrods.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:49 AM
d_bodary

it does not matter how far the antenna sticks out just don't cut it. I used graet planes 2-56 metal rods and the gray plastic outer housings. The sig nyrods shrink and expand like crazy whenever the temperature changes. I used a sullivan tailwheel assy. and filed a rectangular notch in it to clear the tail braces as a previous post described. The plane sat almost level using a sixty size sullivan tail wheel assy. So i put the four star sixty landing gear on it for prop clearance. Hope this answers your Questions
Dennis