Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP PT-40 Trainer DONE!!!! (Pictures)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP PT-40 Trainer DONE!!!! (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP PT-40 Trainer DONE!!!! (Pictures)

It was a long haul for such a simple kit (6 months), but its finally near takeoff. Just some fiddeling with the servo throws and breaking in the brand new OS 46AX and its there! Here are some pictures:

Damn, its huge! And silly me who nearly got the PT-60 ...

Maiden flight as soon as all exams are over and the weather is good.

Anyway, thanks for all the help from this forum so far! Couldnt have done it without you guys!!

cheers
brsseb
Old 12-03-2004, 03:41 PM
BDS

Default RE: GP PT-40 Trainer DONE!!!! (Pictures)

Congratulations! Looks wonderful. My first RC plane was a GP PT40, and that was over 11 years ago when it first became an ARF. Yours looks great! Let us know how it flies. It is an easy plane to fly, very forgiving. I did have a problem with it needing alot of runway though, but I think that was a combination of poor engine performance and the main gear not being parallel.

Sean.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:02 PM
carrellh

I have the PT-60 and love it. I have seen several PT-40s fly and they are really good planes. Yours looks really good. I know you'e anxious to fly it.

Have tons of fun with your creation. Even though I couldn't do the maiden flight of the PT-60 myself, I was the happiest person on earth when my plane lifted smoothly off the runway and was close enough to trimmed that Paul didn't have to fight it climbing out.

I'm not a fast builder. My PT took about 7 months. I'm building a Tower Hobbies Uproar 60 (another fairly easy kit to learn more about building) now and it is taking about the same amount of time. I was a 'building machine' when I started then ran out of steam for a while. Crashed and repaired the PT, then got back to the Uproar. I'm covering it now, so it will be done pretty soon.

In contrast to my building rate, I had a Sig Astro Hog (an oldfashioned "builder's kit") built and it was done in 4 or 5 weeks; and the builder has a normal full time job, wife, kid, etc.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
brsseb

Hehe, the same day I get the plane done, the news tells me that this region got some heavy weather arriving in the near couple of days. Flood, tunderstorms, you name it. On the good side, I might do good on my exams instead....
Old 12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your PT-40 looks great. Good luck on your maiden. I've got an old Great Planes Trainer 60 which is the fore-runner to the PT series. It's so big that I'm going to convert it to a twin engine trainer.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:26 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Nice work, good luck on the maiden. There is little that is more satisfying than watching your own handywork take flight
Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Where are the pictures?

Anyway, congrats, and good luck on the maiden!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice! Good job!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
brsseb

Thankz guys. Cant wait to try it. The weather is still horrible over here, with rain and flood warnings. And if the snow comes and the wind kicks in, then I think the maiden will be after christmas/newyear. Must wait for the RC club to start up again, im not taking this baby up without a instructor [8D]
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Amistad

Nice job on the PT-40. I have an unopened PT-40 kit under the Xmas tree. My wife won't let me open it until Xmas. I can't wait to get started.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I built the PT60 years ago and up till just a few months ago, I still had it and took it out for leisurely flights. I used it to train new pilots. Had one of my "advanced" trainees doing basic aerobatics and ended up losing it. The wing is busted up and the landing gear has flattened out, but it is still in one piece. I would love to find a wing kit for it.

One piece of advice that I would like to give.....
Get yourself a set of FULTZ gear for the nose. It will only take a few flights and you will start to notice that the stock nose gear will lean to one side. The FULTZ gear eliminates this problem.

GOOD LUCK ON THE MAIDEN
Old 12-09-2004, 11:51 PM
miamiflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Nice covering job,
you may run your heatgun over it 'cause it looks a little saggy between the ribs.
6 months is a long time, didn't your fingers get itchy to actually fly something?
i couldn't wait that long.
bought the pt 40 used and flew it until it got boring ( 6 weekends).
pat
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Congrats! and good luck on the maiden. I just started my first kit, I can't wait until mines ready to fly too.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:27 AM
brsseb

Yeah, some slack in the covering between the ribs. Gonna go over it with the iron some to make some final adjustments before maiden. Yeah 6 months is a long time, but had alot to do with the university, some missing parts and slow shipment of covering from my LHS. The basic framinng was done in a few nights though. Its a real quick built if you got a couple of fulltime days to set aside for it, and a complete workshop from day one.

Damn, stormy weather here in Norway now. Almost 0* Celsius and chilly winds. Guess there will be no flying for me before after newyear.. [:@]