Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

somethin' extra wing mating

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

somethin' extra wing mating

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:06 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somethin' extra wing mating

Okay - so I mated the wings today and they don't seem to sit flat against the sides of the fuse. Everything looks square to me though I am going to have to double check officially of course.

The instructions state that they should mate perfectly but doesn't say what to do if they don't.

Anyone else have this experience?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: somethin' extra wing mating

I have the same, don't worry, it's OK. If you want, you can use some thin balsa.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 PM
RCaillouet3

Easy solution. Take some 1/16 balsa and lay the wing on it with the R1 rib down. Trace the curve of the rib with a sharp pencil. The cut it out and do one of 2 things. Mount it to the fuse where the wing meets the body matching the new rib to that of the wing as it should be for flight, or mount it to the wing itself. Then slowly sand the new "rib" as needed to get the desired fit.

Another solution, depending on the size of the gap and how you want it to look, is to just go with it! Mine had a small (1/16" ) gap on the tail end of the right wing. Remember that most of the forces in the wing will be taken up by the wing spars, mounting tube, and forward attaching linkage (rubber bands that hold the wings on at the front.)

Just my thoughts,

Reg
Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Well, Actually the fuse ended up crooked a bit looking straight on so the wings now are not square to it. Not good as I'm a perfectionist and can't get it apart to repair easily.

I ordered a new fuse kit.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I bought a SE second hand and I noticed the wings were not tight to the fuse. What I did was to put the clear silicon glue (RTV) on the butt of the wings, then laid a thin clear plastic sheet over the glue (Saran Wrap) on the wing butt. Then slid the wings onto the tube and dowel, compressing the glue, then holding in place with the rubber bands that pull the wings on - the Saran Wrap protected the fuselage from the glue, and the glue formed against the fuselage. I let it sit overnight (this is how I used to make fuel proof wing seats for high wing and low wing planes).

In the morning, peel off the Saran Wrap, the clear silicon glue will have filled in any gaps - it also gives a kind of gripping surface for the wing to fuselage and makes it very secure.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-10-2004, 08:46 AM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While searching for info on the SE I have seen this question many times.
Here is how I solved the problem during the build....

Page 8 setp 16 - I did NOT glue the W1 wing rib in place. I waited until
step 48 where you test fit the wing to the fuse. I then used urathane glue
to glue W1 in place, installed the wing on the fuse, then shimed W1 untill
if fit perfectly against the fuse. Since urathane glue expands as it dries
the glue filled the small void where W1 was shimed away from W1A.

After it dried over night I had perfect fitting wings.