Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cold temps, affect building?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cold temps, affect building?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:45 PM
BDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold temps, affect building?

I am wondering what kind of effect cold temperatures have on models. I am looking at building in my garage/workshop that is not heated. It is probably the only place I have that is large enough (85" ws) and one of the only places the cat can't get to.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

THanks.
Sean.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cold temps, affect building?

BDS
I build in the basement that is intermittently heated. Still it doesn't usually go below 45 in the winter.

Glues get stiffer, epoxy and Titebond. CA doesn't seem to be affected although I don't use it much. The balsa and glue joints don't seem to be affected at all, but I build mostly with wood glue and after I have glued an assembly I wait overnight before I get back to it. As far as covering goes I bring the covering up stairs to get it to temperature and only cover the plane when the temperature is above 65. To my mind covering would be the most effected.

I don't paint much of my planes but I do know temperature and humidity greatly affect the outcome.

Just my experiences, hope it helps.
John
Old 12-03-2004, 04:13 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't pretend that it gets as cold here as it does where you are at, but I build when it's cold without any major problems. As JNorton says, the glues tend to get pretty much like molasis, but you can overcome that by putting them in the house before use. The one thing that I did was to get a kerosene heater at Lowes. (One of those round room type heaters that are made for indoors.) I usually put it close to my workbench, start it up and let the garage warm up a little before beginning to work. It does add time and I don't get any after work on the real cold days due to the warm up time. However, you will find that it's you and your hands that will ultimately be the deciding factor. There are some days that even the heater doesn't do the trick. (BTW - If you do use the kerosene type heater I would recommend placing a 2X4 under the garage door to keep some ventilation.)

Other than these problems, feel free to go for it. Just keep a hot cup of coffee handy.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:22 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

It definitely doesn't get as cold down here, see below.

But - it does get very chilly. Besides the glue thing(getting thick - easily fixable), the only limitation I've found is my own comfort - and fingers tend to get numb first [&o] . I'll be installing a window A/C unit(with heat!) in January, I think it's around $100 at home disaster or lowies, just a little construction(demolition?), kinda like building part of a wing. Pictures soon to follow in the "workshop" thread(s).

<====
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM
CRFlyer

I build in my garage all winter long. My garage is somewhat protected, but not heated. I would say the temps are cool, but always above freezing in there.

As others have mentioned, you may have better luck warming the glues. In particular, I find that epoxy causes me the most trouble. I will usually do that in the house where it's warm, and leave it there until dry.

As others have mentioned, your comfort is a consideration. I usually do my building in small increments. That way, I'm not out in the garage and the cold for long periods of sequential time.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Epoxy will take longer to cure and be thicker..Utilizing a kerosene heater is a good Idea, also attatch some plastic sheets (sold as painters tarps) from the ceiling down to enclose a smaller area to heat. This will warm things up a bit quicker and keep it that way longer when the heater is off..
Other than that can't think of any other ideas to make things easier...have fun.

I just got moved to the garage and there is no room to build at all. arrgh......
Old 12-03-2004, 05:56 PM
hookedonrc

While reading the other replies I just thought of another thing. I am not sure what type of garage door you have, but if it is the aluminum type like mine, I would recommend going to Home Depot, Lowes or similar and buying sheets of 1 to 1 1/2" foam. Cut them to size and glue them into the sections of the door to help insulate the garage. Mine is like this and my plans are to do this for this winter. It's not real expensive and you can attach the foam with silicone...unless someone can recommend something better to attach them with?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
cwrr5

I'll let you know in January!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cwrr5,
I'll let you know in January!
After a while all the posts bragging from warmer climes gets to be a bit nauseating. However, no problem. I lived in Tuscon in the 80's. I believe one winter it got down to the high 30's for a couple of days. Here in Michigan it does get a lot colder for a lot longer. There is one advantage though. No water shortage. Can you say we have water?

You can take the mild climate in the winter and the scorching highs in the summer, and I'll take the winters and floating on a raft in the summers.

So there. (said like a little kid going nanny-nanny-nah-nah)

John
Old 12-04-2004, 01:36 PM
M_Callahan

Cold temps, effect building? You're dang right it does. Its the cause of
most of the model building here.

Epoxy will take longer to set, CA should still work ok, painting? The directions
for the brand you're using will be the rule. The only other issue would be comfort
level of the builder.

Mike
Old 12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
BDS

Thanks all for the input. I believe i will be putting some insulation on the garage door panels. Also, I plan on putting a window and a regular door on the side of the garage.

Anyway, I thought at the most the cold temps might make the wood contract a little, and I already knew about the glues and epoxys.

Now I just have to spend another $40 at home depot to get the workbench done, oh, and order the kit, and the engine, radio, etc.....

Sean.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:42 PM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: JNorton

No water shortage. Can you say we have water?

John

Ouch! Hit me where it hurts why don't ya? LMAO!
Sorry, didn't mean to make anyone sick, I've lived in cold parts of the world too. I REALLY DONT MISS IT.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:43 PM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: M_Callahan

Cold temps, effect building? You're dang right it does. Its the cause of
most of the model building here.
HAHAHAHA! I love it! I didn't think of that one!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:50 PM
CafeenMan

There's no problem with building in the cold. Glue takes longer to dry and you shouldn't paint until you can maintain a temperature of at least 70F.

No matter what the temp, everything should be acclimatized to your work environment. Don't bring a kit from a heated house into a non-climate controlled shop and start building immediately. Let it sit for a week or more. Otherwise, the wood will swell and shrink at different rates and you may end up with lots of bows and warps.

Same thing applies to bringing other wood into your shop like a stick from the hobby shop.

Somebody suggested taking the plane indoors to cover. I would do the same thing in that case. Give it several days to acclimatize before covering. Maybe not necessary at that point, but still a good idea.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not like the kerosene heaters I tried. They gave off a diseal smell. I am now using a propane heater. I have a bench that sits besid the heater so I can put the epoxy and paint to warm up. I have sprayed warmed paint when the air temps were in the 30's. If the parts are small, you can put them in a big card board box with a 100 watt light buld for heat. The box will warm up to around a 100 degrees.

When building in a real cold garage, the biggest problem I ran into was gluing my gloves to the plane. Next is your feet will get cold. Gets some of those foam piece for a play room that interlock. It keeps your toes warm and off of the cold, cold concrete.

I to cover inside. When it gets cold the plastic covering gets stiff and hard to work with.

Dru.