Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

ziroli p-40 build thred

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

ziroli p-40 build thred

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:19 PM
RICK2682
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ziroli p-40 build thred

I am starting a Ziroli P-40 for my winter project.

I am looking for another prerson/person's who would like to start a building thred with me,to share Ideas, knowhow, and product choices.Also to post pictures of the build.All the building threds I found,and no P-40.I am looking to build a weekend flyer,I think they call it sport scale,plane looks good to adv. flyer, but not go for Top Gun or anything close.

I have already ordered my short kit from Lazerlisard.com,and man,talk about gerat service.Jesse(owner) was out of P-40 kits(time of year to build), after I told him I was kinda in a hurry, he broke out his laser and cut me one.I paid him for the kit on12/10/04-and he shipped it to me via priority mail 12/13/04.Is that AWESOME or what.I hope everything else goes as smooth.

I ordered my stuff from Nick Ziroli,and again.AWSEOME service. I made two calls to them,the first to talk about kit choices and availibility.Olny the secertary was in the office,so she connected me with Nick Sr. himself at his house.Talk about product support!!
Nick Sr. and I talked about planes like we were in the same club.I learned more from him on the phone,in 20mim.Than the last year.
The sceoend call I talked to Nick Jr., he too was VERY HELPFUL. I had some concernes with my building ability to build this plane.
After Nick Jr. reassureing me I could do it (and him telling me help from him was just a phone call away), I ordered all my stuff.

I expect eveything here by the end of the week, and am looking forward to starting.I do have to order my Balsa sticks and sheeting,but would be looking for a start date around 12/20/04and would LIKE to finish around March 2005.I do work full time,but my wife gives me alot of weekend/evening time to build.

Looking forward to finding a building partner,please let me know if anybody is intrested.

Thanks

Rick S.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: ziroli p-40 build thred

Rick,
I have been very interested in this Kit as well, but concerned over the skill required although I have built all the TF warbirds and am finishing the 1/5 P-47 as we speak. How about the flying characteristics? Ive built the TF P-40 twice and man what a dog in the air. All that said the P-40 holds a special draw. I have a ZDZ 80 that will need a home and from what Ive read the Ziroli would be a good fit. What type of retracts are you thinking about? I have used both CJM and robarts on the TF P-40 with mixed results, the 90 rotation has a tendency to hang up. So Ive thought that if I do the Ziroli , I would use Sierra Precision ($$$). I also work fulltime and travel over the entire US, planes tend to take me 8-12 months so I may be to slow for you. Have you decided on the balsa or fiberglass fuse? On a final note I learned to fly 20 years ago at the Field at Cherry Creek Res. where do you fly? I feel the pull...
Kirk
Old 12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
RICK2682

Kirk, thanks for the reply.This will be my first warbird(not counting my Hangar 9 A-T6) so I'm looking for something to perform well, but not be too chalanging.I asked N.Ziroli Sr. the same question, and he said it would be close to the right mix,with it leaning to "the preformance side".As far as your slower build time,thats no problem for me,maybe I can save you a few mistakes,and hopefully we can get a few others.
to join in with us.

I think you ZDZ 80 is the perfect choice,I was thinking a quarda 75(Nick Sr.), or a 3w 75Ius.The retracts, I went with Robarts,got them direct fromZiroli(great price on the mains),tail wheel air retract from Tower Hobby(better price).If you do a P-40, call Jesse at lazerlisard,I'll bet he will have you the kit in less than a week.

I have never flown at Cherry Creek if you can beleive that.I belong to Jefco Aeromodlers, we fly at Chatfieild State park.We have a fantastic set up there.Two LONG PAVED runways,nice shelter with 15 picnic tables,and permanent bathrooms.We are pretty lucky.

Would love to see on the thread, and who knows,maybe we could fly together someday.I to travel,and I love the Salt Lake area.I was there for business last year and got to see some of the Olimpics.It was great

Rick S.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Kirk RC

Rick,
Ive heard Chatfield is nice, never flew there though. We have a pretty good field here in SLC, its a State facility, paved runways, cover pits, restrooms and the like. Overall the fields out west seem to be better than what the guys fly on back east plus no trees!! I lived in Asia for 12 years, Tokyo,HK,Bangkok,Singapore, believe it or not the best field Ive flown off is the one in Bangkok! Run by the Thai airforce, has restraunt/bar and a hobby shop on the facility and a control tower that announces your frequency and take-off slot. Back to the P-40 did you buy the glass fuse? Ive heard from a few guys that it is a BIG time saver as the P-40 has alot of compound curves on it. Im going to call Nick and discuss the flying capabilities, if I remember correctly he has modified the wing and tailgroup to dial out the P-40 bad habits. The good news is I dont need new ski's this year so maybe a splurge is in order, although my new TF GS P-47 is already at $2k and still counting!! But as I tell my wife ,it keeps me out of the bars and its cheaper then a girlfriend, hope she doesnt see this.
Cheers,
Kirk
Old 12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
RICK2682

It sounds like you know alot more about the p-40 than I do.I talked to him about the glass fuse.I went with the stick build for 2 reasons.

1.My flying skils are far from expert,and wanted the ability for easy repairs.
2.My wife still thinks these airplanes are very reasonable to build.LOL But I must keep costs as low as possibile.So far with the kit,plans,retracts and air system,fiberglass from Nick,I'm just short of $900.00, with about about another $1100.00 to go.

Lazerlizard I think has a fiberglass fuse kit that comes with wing,tailfeathers and fuse formers, but I don't know cost.
Let me know what you find out.

P.S. tell the wife it is your christmas present to yourself--------I did that on my last two planes,and it worked well. LOL

Rick S.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
JohnP-40

Hi Guys,

I just happened to stumble on your discussions. Hope you don't mind if I join in, I have recently started on a Jerry Bates P-40E (1:5.5) 82" span. So far I have finished the frame work for the wings and partly finished framing the fuse. I will be using the MVVS36 gas engine together with Unitracts retracts (reason being, I beleive the the retract angle is 95 degrees as well as 95 degrees twist, the unitracts gear allows these angles to be adjusted) Oh! I might also add that as I am an Aussie living in Europe and unitracts are in England I don't need to pay the high import duty for the US products.

I couldn't help but have a little chuckle at the comments on what the little lady would say if she new what our hobby actualy costs. As I am scratch building. my costs for all of the balsa and ply wood as well as glue have cost about $150. The retracts, MVVS and other items needed to finish the project will run out to about $600.

Anyway, I have been building and flying for about twenty years now. All my flying has been in Australia, I moved to Europe six years ago and it has taken me that long to get into the local scene. I am still stumbling around, they are not into scale powered models here, its more gliders and sport models. Also finding suppliers and the like has been somewhat interesting. I like to take my time with building and because I can't spend as much time in my basement as I would like to (little lady might get upset). My P-40 will be some time before it is finished. So if I can be of any help to you guys please let me know.

John
Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 PM
lightningman40
My Feedback: (40)

Hi RICK2682, How is the P-40 going? any updates for us? I am building a ZP-51 at this time. You should have no problems with this build. The P-40 builds about the same as my 51 and you will love how well Ziroil airplanes go together. The P-51 I am building has a 3W75i for power and this would work great in the P-40 as well. The P-51 is almost ready for paint so I ordered a Ziroli P-38, my wife is going to have a cow when she finds out about it but she knows how I am about my planes. I will never have too many airplanes. Happy Landings.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
RCPilot100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,

Keep us updated on your P40. The plane is on my build list - as soon as I get the time. I am trying to get my buddy to sell me his in line 3W-80. Perfect fit for this plane.

Dan
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Mv Radle

Hi Rick
I too just started the winter project, I have a Ziroli p-40 kit so it's kinda slow going becuase this is my frist big warbird and I want to do it right , I would enjoy building and shareing ideas with someone else building the same, let me know how it goes Thanks Mark
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM
MustangBob

Just looking for other Ziroli P-40 people and found your posts. Did you finish the P-40 and how did it fly? I have had the Ziroli plan for 5 years and am going to give ita try this winter.