Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit building tools

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit building tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 AM
bemyself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit building tools

Dear all,
I'd been in the Rc for a while but haven't really a chance to fly yet. So while waiting for an instructor, which will be for a while, I would like to try something on Kit building. What I really need to know is what tools will be needed to succeed in Kit building? I know this subject had been discussed many times but the problem with me here is that I'm a Asian and the vocabulary on tools and plane parts will be a problem.
Can you guys please help by naming some of the basic construction tools and hopefully with pictures so that I'll not find it hard to understand. Your help into this matter is greatly appreciated.
p/s: I'm not questioning the guys in Asia about their english. It's just that I, myself is poor in English. (I like this forum. To learn more about planes and English on the same site)
Regards,
Bemyself
Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Kit building tools

Your basic tools include razor knifes, sanding bars or blocks, a razor saw, drill and an assortment of bits, a screw driver set, allen wrench set, needle nose plyers, and a few trip's to the store to get what I have forgotten here. There are alot of tools available that make building easier, but they are not required for building. A hinge cutting tool comes to mind, as well as an electric planer. Hope this helps and Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A FLAT building board of some kind. Pins (I buy mine from Hobby Lobby). Clamps, clamps, clamps. Xacto knife with grip of #11 blades. Single edged razor blades. A good set of hex drivers for all the different socket head screws you will eventually use instead of phillips screws. A decent back saw. DREMEL TOOL! Good drill bits, especially small ones. Needle nosed pliers of various shapes. "T Bar" type sanding blocks. Get at least 3 for different grits of sandpaper.
There are other specialty tools you dont need but sure come in handy such as a "Dead Center" engine mount hole marker thingie. I forget who makes it but its about the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:07 AM
bemyself

Dear DavidAgar,
Thanks for your information. You'd put it in basic English and i find it easy to understand. Please bear with me as I believe there will more to ask in the future. I just hope I can build and learn along the way. With the help here, i believe everything is possible. Thanks once again
By the way, what's a hinge cutting tool? Any picture to show? Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 11:17 AM
bemyself

Sorry Fubar-one, I just missed your post. Can you please explain :
1. what Xacto knife with #11 blade use for?
2. What's a single razor edge use for?
3. Why is it neccessary to have a T sanding block and what 3 different grit would be appropriate( I mean what # of grit on the sandpaper)
I don't think I can get the "Dead Center" here in thailand. But thanks any way
Old 12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

more recommendations:
- an incidence meter. See: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXET66&P=RF
This is used to make sure the wing has the correct angle with the fuselage. Also to set the correct engine thrust line when compared with the fuselage. Once build you can use the incidence meter to set each aileron's neutral point equal to each other. This reduces trim surpises when you are taking a model up for the first time.

- a self healing cutting board is nice because it gives you something to cut on that is durable. You can slice a piece of wood with your Xatco knife and not worry about hurting your table.

- a steel yard/meter measuring stick. This gives you a long straight edge with which you can cut covering on your self healing cutting board!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

The Xacto #11 blade and the single edge razor blades are both used for self-inflicted blood tests (couldn't resist)

Actually I use single edge blades more than hobby knives when cutting out parts, making long pieces shorter and for cutting covering.

Get a good straight edge (metal preferable)

Sanding blocks can be as simple as a block of hard wood with sandpaper stapled around it. I use 60 grit, 100 grit and 220 grit.

Above all, get a warp-free building surface to minimize the built-in warps in your model of choice.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
ekrcflyer

Remember the glue . You might need different kinds of CA (thin and medium) and Epoxy (5 minute, 30 minute and may be 15 or 20 minute).
The sanding paper - usual selection is 80, 150 and 220. 80 is for "rough"works to work out large "irregularities" and 220 is for final preparation of the surface for covering or painting. 150 will be somwhere in between.

I know somebody already mentioned the Dremel tool, but I think I should emphasize the importance of it. VERY helpful in lots of instances. Try to get a cordless one - just to free yourself from the dependency on the source of energy.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I don't think I can get the "Dead Center" here in thailand.

what.... the darn things are probably made over there.... just foolin'

To me, the most important tool is a good, solid, straight and flat building surface and a method for holding parts down to that surface