Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Is SIG considered to be the best kits for a beginner builder?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is SIG considered to be the best kits for a beginner builder?

5yrs ago I used to fly RC-planes and now I have restarted again after the break.
Back then I had ARF's and now I also have a few ARF's, I have never built a kit because I've been afraid of the covering.
I have discovered covering now and are ready to build a kit... I bet it'll be better than any ARF with some tlc.

What comes in the kits? any hardware at all or only 1000 pieces of balsa?
How processed are the wood parts, ready to glue or do I need to cut them out with a paper template and sand them?

Does the instructions come in metric as well?
I have a hard time understanding the measurments when it says like "4-40/8"

If I should choose SIG, can you grade these three for ease of building, covering, flying characteristics
1. 4*40
2. 4*60
3. Something Extra

(The dream would be to build a Top Flite Spitfire in the future.)
Old 12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Is SIG considered to be the best kits for a beginner builder?

The SIG 4-Star kits are certainly excellent kits and easy to build. Whether they are "the best" or not is a matter of debate. If you follow the instructions, you should not have any difficulty.

The 4 star is easy to cover because there are very few rounded areas, it's pretty much straight stuff accept the "turtle deck".

They come with decent hardware and you are not required to cut out any parts. You may be required to "fine tune" some parts to get the proper fit. You will also need to cut sticks to length.

I don't believe that they give measurements in metric.

I have not built a "Something Extra" but have the 4 * 60 and highly recommend it. It can do faily aerobatic yet is easy to fly and land too. I prefer the 4* 60 over the 40 due to it's size and it comes designed for 1 servo per aileron.

Kent
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

Something Extra is very easy and laser cut parts, but be ready to spend a lot more time with a kit, than with ARF. Don't think it could be done in two days (or a week). But it is enjoyable.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Falcon0988
My Feedback: (16)

The Sig SE was my first kit, and except for having the radio and engine installed (had all the holes drilled), It took less than a week from start to covered and awaiting final installation. Mine flies great and has survived about 150 foot drop from the sky, without any damage (pancaked in about 3' weeds). Once tuned down it is nice and stable, flip to high rates, and its awesome. I left mine stock, and if I do build another, I'll probably do some of the recommended changes.

Hunter
Old 12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
CafeenMan

Sig is the ONLY company I know of that really develops their models. A lot of other manufacturers design a model, build one, it flies, they sell it. Obviously I don't know that for a fact since I don't work there, but looking at their models it seems really apparent that they didn't spend much time developing the model because if they built more than one, they'd have changed some things.

Anyway, Sig kits are very good. If you want to be a builder, then you can't go wrong with them. But if you don't want to build and just want to get in the air fast, then Sigs newer kits and kits from some other companies are pretty much on par with each other when it comes to skill and time required.

If you want to advance your building skills then you'll need to move beyond laser-cut lite-ply fuselage sides that are simple jigsaw puzzles because they are always heavier than kits that are designed for higher strength to weight, but also require more skill to build.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Swager

SIG manufactures a wonderful kit. If not on the top for beginner aircraft, they are certainly close!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Test005

Allright, so it seem a 4*60 would be on the top of my shopping list.
Any comments on the Topflite quality and ease to build?
A lifelong love for warbirds is probably why I got into this hobby and sooner or later I will have a warbird in my hangar!

What kind of surface do you guys glue on?
I figure you'll glue the wood to the table if you lay down two pieces flat and then CA them together on a standard table?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:29 AM
CafeenMan

A lot of people like Top Flite kits, but I don't. I think they have way too complicated ways of doing things that could accomplish the same end more simply.

If built well they look good when they're finished. Take a look at SkyShark R/C. They're making some very nice warbirds that are a lot simpler to build.

As far as building goes, you put a piece of waxed paper or saran wrap over the plan.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Test005

I been looking up ther Skyshark kits today and they are awesome!
A bit pricy here in Europe at ~160-200£ , but they look fantastic.

The overall price diffrence between a Skyshark warbird with a big fourstroke and retracts are pretty big compared to a simple SIG 4*40.

I have to think about this,,, I figure I'd be much more motivated to build warbird compared to a normal sportplane, but I don't know if I have the patience to go all the way to the finish line with such a big project?

However, I have a couple of birds to fly and are in no need for another plane to fly at the moment and can build it slowly.
Perhaps I should get a Skyshark because a warbird is what I ultimately want!
I can fool myself that it's not so expencive if I buy the engine and retracts separately later down the road
Old 12-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Most of the newer Sig kits (4 Star 60, Somethin' Extra) come with absolutely phenomenal laser cutting. I don't think Great Planes/TF can make the same claim as they seem to still be pretty stuck on die-crushing. The balsa Sig uses also seems of a better quality, not necessarily so with TF. I have had to replace balsa more than once with a Great Planes kit because of it being unsuitable, too brittle, etc. Never with a Sig. Sig does provide pretty complete hardware, however the tailwheel assemblies and nylon pushrods they use tend to be a bit on the lousy side. Much better to replace those with Sullivan brand.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Test005

This being my first kit and all, I might be better off with the more simple, and considerable cheaper SIG 4*.
I bet it's good to practice building a kit at least once before I shell out the money for a big warbird + equipment for it.
I'd hate to mess up a £200 kit due to lack of experience.
Eventough a warbird would be great, it's probably wiser to start out with the SIG kit.

Anyone knows where to get a good price on a 4*60 in Europe or shipped to Europe from US?
Here in Finland it costs €147 , that equals to almost $200!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; Another little known Sig kit that would work well for you is the Sig Mid-star. I built one of those in '93 and have built 3 mor since. A really excellent flying plane that is quick and easy to build, and good looking.

I have been flying a 4*60 for 4 years now and like that one a lot too, but the Mid-star is only $80 here in Canada whereas the 4*60 is about double that. Every Mid-star I built has been sold to people who see it flying at the field, and just have to have it.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Test005

No offence, but I think the Midstar is ugly. Somehow I don't like the looks of it ??!!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started back into the hobby by starting a TF Spit about a year ago. I then decided to build a low wing plane for the summer flying season, and chose the Four Star 40. I'm glad for my choice for two reasons. First, it gives me a low wing taildragger to practice with before flying a plane that I'll have lots of $$ in, and second, it added to my building skills. Now that I am getting back into working on my Spit, I feel more confident in my building and flying skills, which will be needed to successfully complete my project.

Scott
Old 12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
tychoc

Test005: I'm getting ready to build a SIG SE. I chose this over the 4* since it's a mid-wing design and more of a fun-fly type of plane. Also, the 4* is closer to the SkyRaider Mach II that both you and I already have.

Just a thought.

-tycho
Old 12-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Test005

Tychoc: I understand your choice, the SSE (as they call it) is a sweet looking plane.
I'm planning a bit ahead and think I get the 4*60 because then I can buy a sweet O.S 90-fs for it and later move it over to a warbird...hopefully a Skyshark Focke Wulf or a Top Flite Spit.

I've been reading up a bit on the 4*'s and I think I can't go wrong with one of those as my first kit!
Lot's of feedback on the Internet and build along's, nobody seem to be unhappy with a 4*...That'll be my next project!

Tomorrow I'll go fly my Skyraider M2 and my new DeHavilland Beaver, the sound of that .70-fs on the Beaver makes me happy!

Any tips on where to order a 4*60? (As I mentioned it's ~200$ here in Finland!!! )
Old 12-10-2004, 07:51 PM
tychoc

True, if you wan't to move the engine over in the future, then the 60 size plane makes sense.

As far as buying it, [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFG16&P=ML]Tower [/link] has it for only $89, but I don't know how much shipping will be? Can't possibly be $120 though. Do you still have to pay custom on the purchase to get it?

Anyway, good luck and I have never heard anybody say anything bad about the 4* either (or any SIG for that matter...)

-tycho

God Jul
Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Try one of the Bruce Tharpe kits at http://www.btemodels.com. Best kits made. PERIOD.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Test005

Tychoc: I ususally buy my stuff from Tower Hobbies, but unfortunately they won't ship planes overseas.
If you look at almost any plane on the website, ithere's a text saying "Shipping Note: Size / Weight Restriction, can only ship within the US or to Canada"

It's so cheap for you Americans to order from Tower, and it's a shame they won't ship larger parcels overseas!
Here we pay like 25$ for a standard bb servo and 35$ for a gallon of fuel... There's only one place here in Finland I can get a 4*60 and it's $200 *sigh*.

(And yes, we pay 22% value added tax on equipment from the states, but still the total for a 4*60 would be about half price than shopping here!)

Edit: An SIG something extra ARF is €259, that equals to $342 US DOLLAR . . . Yeah right!!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:22 AM
tychoc

Test005: I just checked the Fedex site and it looks like they would charge $100 for a 8lb package by "economy" shipping, thus by the time you add VAT and the kit itself you're at the price you're charged in Finland[&o]

One of the reasons I chose to stay here....

-tycho
Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sig does indeed make some truly great planes, however as a first kit, I think that Great Planes kits have some of the best instructions made. I have built several of the Great Planes kits and while they are die crunch they, all have made into exceptional planes. The 4 star is also a great flying plane and an easy build, but for a first timer, nothing better than a great instruction manual. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-12-2004, 02:26 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My first plane (and kit) was a Kadet MkII. Instructions were clear and complete, kit was easy to build and the plane flew itself. Shoulda continued to let it fly itself, when I took over it was all over the place. Really, it was a wonderful plane to learn on, is an older design but well-proven. A Seniorita kit or an LT-40 would also be a great 1st kit and plane. I've also built Sig's 1/5 scale J-3. It's a bit more complex than the trainers, but it was really fun to build and very scale, flies very nicely. I got about a season out of my Kadet before mid-airing with a 1/4 scale Cub. I lost.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Test005

I ordered the SIG 4*60 today to build as my first kit.
I plan on buying a O.S 90-fs for it.
If I'm patient enough to build kits (this one will tell) I'll get a Skyshark or Top Flite warbird next...The plan is to reuse that same O.S 90-fs in the warbird.

Thanks guys for taking time to help me out with suggestions and feedback, very appreaciated.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:25 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Sorry! I was too late seeing this thread. I was going to suggest just ordering the plans and instruction book as someone mentioned on another thread. I think the plans go for approx $10, and no limit on shipping. Maybe as an alternative on the next one. (If you have the plans, "making" a kit is relatively easy)

Old 12-13-2004, 06:22 AM
Test005

OK, need help again...

I got an E-mail from the LHS that the 4*60 won't be available until mid January and thought that I might skip it and go to the warbird straight. (The 4*60 is $200 here in Finland and if I skip it I can use the money for a fourstroke engine to the warbird)
Would I be a total fool if I ordered a skyshark warbird kit to build as my first kit ever without first practising on a easier sportplane kit?

I plan to buy some mechanical retracts with 3/16 struts for strenght, like the Robarts.
(Should I get 85 or 90 degree retracts?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.