Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

bashing a mid star

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

bashing a mid star

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bashing a mid star

anyone ever bash a sig mid star?

mabey a cowl , tailwheel or something
Old 12-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Sunny_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bashing a mid star

Bite your tongue for saying such a thing! I think they fly better than the Four Star. Only mho though.
Sunny_B
Old 12-09-2004, 07:15 PM
WhiteRook

looks like i struck a nerv.

The mid has more wing area, and a symetrical wing.

what is the cord length? verses the 4 star
Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have built and flown four of those wonderful planes, the changes that have evolved are; I glue capstrips over teh wing ribs from the leading edge to the spar, that makes the wing look smoother and fattens it up a bit there. I cut an air balance into the rudder/verticle stab. The last one I did I started about one inch down the stab and angled the cut to two inches where it meets teh rudder. I prefer tail dragger, and have built them all that way. I built one of them without dihedral, but it didn't fly as well so I put the dihedral back in, much better.

I should get another one of those to build this winter, it's an awesome plane, sort of my little secret.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:54 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Boy, are Midstars ugly!, but wait, convert the tail fin to something like an Edge 540, build up a turtledeck and find a canopy that roughly outlines the Edge and maybe......it would look good?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:24 PM
WhiteRook

any pics doc?
Old 12-11-2004, 04:22 PM
phread59

UGLY? Bite your toung. Beuty is in the eye of the beholder. I have one. I made it a taildragger. And added wheel pants. I think it is sharp. Clean and simple. I have an MVVS 40 with a tuned muffler in it. I use a spinner nut. It is a simple white and flourescent pink with black pants and control surfaces. A single black stripe on the fuse. It flies fantastic.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I guess the Midstar is an acquired taste. I thought mine might be a little ugly. But she won me over with the way she moves.....through the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52593.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	201759  
Old 12-11-2004, 05:02 PM
donkey doctor

Hello Ty; sorry I couldn't find any pictures, but you can get the ideda by looking at Bruno's. If you begin the air balance cut at the yellow line and continue it diagonally down to two inches where it meets teh rudder, that's it. One I covered like the early blue and red/white Extra 300's, the next one I did like the picture on the box, but I put a 3 inch clear stripe down the centre of the wing from tip to tip. That clear wing stripe has kind of become my trademark since then. The last one was all red, as I built it for someone and that is the way he wanted it. I like the way the sun shines through the clear stripe from below when it's late in the day and the sun is low in the sky. It's kind of hard to explain, but everyone remarks on it when they see it in those conditions.

the other one I haven't mentioned, I built for a wheel chair bound flyer, I carved a wheelchair outline into the verticle stab, and covered that with clear. The rest of the plane was covered like a Suhkoi, blue and white with the three stripes between the colours, and the clear panels in teh wings. I only saw it fly once before the fellow died unfortunately.