Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LT-40 fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LT-40 fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:02 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 fuel tank

I am new to R/C planes. Been having a REALLY fun time screwing around with them lately, though. I am about midway through my LT-40 kit construction. I noticed the little fuel tank that comes with it seems awful small to me. I am not used to the fuel consumption rates on glow motors, but it just seems awful small.

How long, on average, will that little tank (I believe its 8oz), last with an OS .46AX?

Is there room in the fuse to add a larger capacity tank if I want to? (My fuse if not sufficiently completed for me to just look and see if there is room, yet)

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:13 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LT-40 fuel tank

Eight ounces is plenty for your .46. If it makes you feel better, there is room for a ten ouncer in there...
Old 12-10-2004, 02:15 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Well, it depends on how much throttle you use throught the flight. The LT-40 (as designed) flies nicely at half or less throttle with a .40-.46 engine on it. The best way to determine your run time a various throttle settings is to time it while on the ground, so you know when to start bring the plane back in. The supplied tank is about 8oz. and with good throttle management, you can get around 20 minutes or so out of a tank(sometimes more). During flight training, I would say end each flight no more than 10 minutes, as sometimes you get into trouble and have to use more power(beginners have a tendency to fly with too much throttle anyway from what I've seen.)

There is plenty of room for larger tanks, but it will do just fine with 8oz.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
fledermaus

Fledermaus again!

The 8-oz tank is more than enough for the LT-40 with a 46 engine. As I mentioned in my "other" post, I learned on the LT-40 this past summer. I typically would be in the air 10-15 minutes for each training flight (which is plenty to start out with) and only consumed about 2-3 oz for that duration. Once I was authorized to solo I started playing around with longer flights (when there weren't too many guys at the field) and using more power to try loops etc, and only burned about 5-6 oz for a 20-minute flight.

Stick with the 8-oz, but use the extra space to pack in foam. You don't want the tank foaming up with too much vibration.